SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  What's Your Deal!    Don't you just hate when you screw yourself?
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Don't you just hate when you screw yourself? Login/Join 
Three Generations
of Service
Picture of PHPaul
posted
Long, LONG story, but the short version is, I had a problem with my tractor that gave every indication of being expensive and difficult to fix as it supposedly involved removing the cab. The hydro trans control kept creeping into gear from neutral.

Finally got aggravated enough about it to see if I could do SOMETHING to fix it myself. Turns out I got bit on two levels:

1. No need to remove the cab, there's an access panel in the floor under the rubber mat and soundproofing. (So much for Doctor Youtube...)

2. The problem is my own damn fault, I replaced a bad switch last Summer and didn't get it adjusted right so it was interfering with the hydro linkage.

Dumbass...

Be careful when following the masses. Sometimes the M is silent.

Posts: 15207 | Location: Downeast Maine | Registered: March 10, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Honky Lips
Picture of FenderBender
posted Hide Post
AS a man working today, with a hang over? Yes, yes I do hate that, very much so.

at least the tractor's an easier fix than you thought.

Posts: 8146 | Registered: July 24, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
No I don't hate it. I've been screwing myself like that for so long that I think I'm actually beginning to enjoy it !! LOL

Posts: 1913 | Location: U.P. of michigan | Registered: March 02, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Three Generations
of Service
Picture of PHPaul
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by hvyhawler:
No I don't hate it. I've been screwing myself like that for so long that I think I'm actually beginning to enjoy it !! LOL

I know how you feel. Frown Big Grin

Posts: 15207 | Location: Downeast Maine | Registered: March 10, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Crusty old
curmudgeon
Picture of Jimbo54
posted Hide Post
There has been a number of times in my life that I tore into a machine of one kind or another and screwed it up to the point that I had to haul/tow it to someone to un-screw it.

I feel your pain. Frown

Jim

"If you can't be a good example, then you'll have to be a horrible warning" -Catherine Aird

Posts: 9791 | Location: The right side of Washington State | Registered: September 14, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of TRshootem
posted Hide Post
If I could only remember the 'oh shit' lessons of my fubar episodes over the years. I hate 're-edumacatin' myself. When I've discovered the error of my brilliance, I need to stop, take notes and pictures. Then I can file it all away someplace where I will never find it...arrrrgggghhh.

Posts: 1320 | Location: Montana | Registered: October 20, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
My other Sig
is a Steyr.
Picture of .38supersig
posted Hide Post
Had my zero turn mower not pulling straight. Bought a bunch of parts before I realized that a thirty dollar steel plate on the bottom had cracked and was the only thing that was bad. Lucky for me the mower shop let me return the parts that I didn't use. Guess I need to look at what isn't working before assuming how bad it is and getting the parts beforehand. (Duh?)

I've learned to keep My GM all GM.
Only buy Mopar parts for a Dodge.
Kimber parts are for Kimber pistols.
etc...

Replacing the screen in the cell phone is a pain in the ass, but fixing it set me back $20.
Rebuilding an automatic transaxle is a bigger pain, but fixing it set me back about $200.
Knowing that I have the mental wherewithal to successfully do both: Priceless.

Posts: 9140 | Location: Somewhere looking for ammo that nobody has at a place I haven't been to for a pistol I couldn't live without... | Registered: December 02, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
His Royal Hiney
Picture of Rey HRH
posted Hide Post
I wish I could fix my tractor like you if I had a tractor. But then again, I guess I'm glad I don't have a tractor. I wouldn't know what to do with it other than ask my wife if she thinks my tractor is sexy.

"It did not really matter what we expected from life, but rather what life expected from us. We needed to stop asking about the meaning of life, and instead to think of ourselves as those who were being questioned by life – daily and hourly. Our answer must consist not in talk and meditation, but in right action and in right conduct. Life ultimately means taking the responsibility to find the right answer to its problems and to fulfill the tasks which it constantly sets for each individual." Viktor Frankl, Man's Search for Meaning, 1946.

Posts: 19645 | Location: The Free State of Arizona - Ditat Deus | Registered: March 24, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Raptorman
Picture of Mars_Attacks
posted Hide Post
I put a diesel pump on a 75hp New Holland last year.

Had to remove the bucket and cowling to do it.

Of course there are no timing marks on it, nooooooo, you have to put a bolt through the bell housing into the flywheel and set the pump before you put it on and line up the drive gear.

I get it installed and it's a tooth off. Had to pull the gear and rotate the engine a single tooth.

THEN I had to use another tractor with a bucket to life the bucket back into place and drive it under it to pound in the pins.

Eeewwww, don't touch it!
Here, poke at it with this stick.

Posts: 34105 | Location: North, GA | Registered: October 09, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Three Generations
of Service
Picture of PHPaul
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Rey HRH:
I wish I could fix my tractor like you if I had a tractor. But then again, I guess I'm glad I don't have a tractor. I wouldn't know what to do with it other than ask my wife if she thinks my tractor is sexy.

Necessity is a Mother.

Grew up on a farm and money was tight. If you couldn't fix it yourself, chances were good it didn't get fixed unless it was vital to survival. Much more likely to build something than buy it.

Dad did most of his own mechanical work (including rebuilding tractors) carpentry, plumbing, electrical (that was his profession) and heating work. About the only thing I've picked up that I didn't learn from him is welding and a bit of machining.

Picture of Perception
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by PHPaul:
Long, LONG story, but the short version is, I had a problem with my tractor that gave every indication of being expensive and difficult to fix as it supposedly involved removing the cab. The hydro trans control kept creeping into gear from neutral.

Finally got aggravated enough about it to see if I could do SOMETHING to fix it myself. Turns out I got bit on two levels:

1. No need to remove the cab, there's an access panel in the floor under the rubber mat and soundproofing. (So much for Doctor Youtube...)

2. The problem is my own damn fault, I replaced a bad switch last Summer and didn't get it adjusted right so it was interfering with the hydro linkage.

Dumbass...

The good news, is that you discovered points 1 and 2 by yourself, and not after paying someone to fix it. So, it could have been a lot worse!

"The people hate the lizards and the lizards rule the people."
"Odd," said Arthur, "I thought you said it was a democracy."
"I did," said Ford, "it is."
"So," said Arthur, hoping he wasn't sounding ridiculously obtuse, "why don't the people get rid of the lizards?"
"It honestly doesn't occur to them. They've all got the vote, so they all pretty much assume that the government they've voted in more or less approximates the government they want."
"You mean they actually vote for the lizards."
"Oh yes," said Ford with a shrug, "of course."
"But," said Arthur, going for the big one again, "why?"
"Because if they didn't vote for a lizard, then the wrong lizard might get in."

Posts: 3514 | Location: Two blocks from the Center of the Universe | Registered: December 30, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Three Generations
of Service
Picture of PHPaul
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Perception:

The good news, is that you discovered points 1 and 2 by yourself, and not after paying someone to fix it. So, it could have been a lot worse!

Damned near WAS worse...I was this close to saying fuggit and taking it to the dealer.

Picture of Censored
posted Hide Post
Yep, that's why I always try to remove the most difficult to remove nut first, instead of last.

Posts: 2223 | Location: United States | Registered: February 13, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I'd rather be hated for who I am than loved for who I am not
posted Hide Post
the only thing worse than paying a pro to do it is having to pay a pro after you screwed it up even worse.

Posts: 7795 | Location: Bismarck ND | Registered: February 19, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Three Generations
of Service
Picture of PHPaul
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Ronin101:
the only thing worse than paying a pro to do it is having to pay a pro after you screwed it up even worse.

Indeed. I have, on occasion, reached a point in working on something where I've said to myself "Time to take it to the pros before I FUBAR it."

Then again, on smaller stuff, I have fixed things to the point that the only thing left to do was shitcan it and buy a new one...

On the wrong side of
the Mobius strip
Picture of Patrick-SP2022
posted Hide Post
quote:
Then again, on smaller stuff, I have fixed things to the point that the only thing left to do was shitcan it and buy a new one...

Ya, I've fixed things like that on more than one occasion.

Posts: 4127 | Location: Texas | Registered: April 16, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post