SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  What's Your Deal!    All the many Off Grid Living Youtube channels
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

All the many Off Grid Living Youtube channels Login/Join 
"Member"
Picture of cas
posted
I'm sorry, if you make your living uploading weekly / bi-weekly videos to the internet, you're not "off grid". Big Grin

Posts: 21105 | Location: 18th & Fairfax  | Registered: May 17, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of lastmanstanding
posted Hide Post
Yeah but some of them have pretty hot wives planting their off grid gardens in bikinis! Razz

"Fixed fortifications are monuments to mans stupidity" - George S. Patton

Posts: 8532 | Location: Minnesota | Registered: June 17, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of OttoSig
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by lastmanstanding:
Yeah but some of them have pretty hot wives planting their off grid gardens in bikinis! Razz

That's the bullshit that irritates me lol. I absolutely despise the ones with thumbnails showing that shit. I'll jump over on the "Hub" if wanna see that. I'm looking for knowledge on building and everything else. I ain't got time for that nonsense.

My Self Reliance
Simple Living Alaska

Those are the only two I really watch, and the latter is not billed as off-grid really. Shawn James is most definitely not off-grid, but his skills are undeniable.

11 years to retirement! Just waiting!

Posts: 6318 | Location: Maryland | Registered: August 10, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Dances With
Tornados
posted Hide Post
Yeah, there are a lot of people making a living, and some making an extraordinary living, on youtube.

I've watched and subscribed to a lot of them, and usually end up unsubscribing.

The thing is, they start out good with decent videos, good quality content, etc.

But the problem is, after awhile, they all seem to run out of content. BUT they need to keep cranking out videos to keep the youtube metrics up and continue making the money, and they fail at it. They just can't keep it up, not enough new and original content, so the same ol same ol stuff gets regurgitated, then they resort to Click Bait titles and titillating thumb nails that is nothing but useless.

I used to greatly enjoy Scotty Kilmer, the car mechanic. I still like him but don't watch much anymore. Seems like he's cranking out 2 or 3 videos PER DAY, with click bait titles of misleading.

An RV'er, Rusty78609, same thing, nowadays he cranks usually 2 videos per day, every darn day, and some times 3 a day.

Gotta keep the money coming in, doncha know. Money Money Money, and it can NOT be sustained.

Posts: 11840 | Registered: October 26, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
"Member"
Picture of cas
posted Hide Post
Sadly for us, click bait works and is what drives Youtube. Veritasium did a video on it recently explaining how and why.

I joked with the guy I worked with today... "Apparently the Youtube algorithm thinks I like blondes with big boobs! Go figure, who'd have guessed?" Big Grin (After clicking on a video of some chick chopping firewood, by the afternoon there were several similar looking (thumbnail) videos being suggested for me.)

A while back I watched a bit of an "off grid living" channel and the guy was building a root cellar away from his cabin. We see a stationary tripod shot and the next thing he's driving a mini excavator into frame to the work site. Oh boy, he's really roughing it! Big Grin

Posts: 21105 | Location: 18th & Fairfax  | Registered: May 17, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
paradox in a box
Picture of frayedends
posted Hide Post
When Shawn James decided he had to move and start over I gave up watching. His videos are too long anyhow. Though I don’t mind the channel where he talks about what he’s doing. I just don’t buy that bad neighbors and (surprise) a road is going in required a move. Maybe he just needed more content.

Scotty Kilmer has gone off the rails with clickbait. His titles often aren’t even close to the video content.

These go to eleven.

Posts: 12436 | Location: Westminster, MA | Registered: November 14, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Made from a
different mold
Picture of mutedblade
posted Hide Post
I miss the good ol' days when videos were all under 5 minutes. Sometimes I just need to see if I am on the right track when trouble shooting and now I have to wade through the endless bullshit to get about 5 seconds worth of actual content.

Posts: 2832 | Location: Lake Anna, VA | Registered: May 07, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of OttoSig
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by mutedblade:
I miss the good ol' days when videos were all under 5 minutes. Sometimes I just need to see if I am on the right track when trouble shooting and now I have to wade through the endless bullshit to get about 5 seconds worth of actual content.

Tried to look up a simple recipe lately?

I gotta know to what extent someone's granmother touched their lives and the memories recollected during spring time blossom just so I can find out how much salt to add to my biscuits.

11 years to retirement! Just waiting!

Posts: 6318 | Location: Maryland | Registered: August 10, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of P250UA5
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by OttoSig:
quote:

I gotta know to what extent someone's granmother touched their lives and the memories recollected during spring time blossom just so I can find out how much salt to add to my biscuits.

On the life's stories recipes, look for a print recipe button. It'll usually jump to just a recipe card & cut out all the story bs.

The Enemy's gate is down.

Posts: 15314 | Location: Spring, TX | Registered: July 11, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Speling Champ
posted Hide Post
Check out Townsends on YouTube.

Not really off grid, more living history from the 18th century. But if you want to know how to build, cook, preserve or whatever without any modern amenities he’s covered it at some point. As a bonus he’s entertaining and fascinating in his knowledge of colonial life a recipes

Posts: 1604 | Location: Utah | Registered: July 06, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fighting the good fight
Picture of RogueJSK
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by OcCurt:

Not really off grid, more living history from the 18th century. But if you want to know how to build, cook, preserve or whatever without any modern amenities he’s covered it at some point. As a bonus he’s entertaining and fascinating in his knowledge of colonial life a recipes

And has a very calm, relaxing delivery. Perfect for bedtime Youtube watching.

Posts: 32506 | Location: Northwest Arkansas | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Staring back
from the abyss
Picture of Gustofer
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by OcCurt:

Their fried chicken recipe is fantastic.

Posts: 20099 | Location: Montana | Registered: November 01, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
"Member"
Picture of cas
posted Hide Post
quote:
...now I have to wade through the endless bullshit to get about 5 seconds worth of actual content.

I caught the very tail end of the post game wrap up on the radio before. They said the game was 3 hours and 25 minutes. Yep, 2 hours and 15 minutes of baseball, an hour and ten minutes of commercials. But that's a whole different rant. Wink

Picture of Perception
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by OttoSig:
quote:

Thread drift alert, but Paprika 3. It may be the best phone app ever. It cuts through all that BS and stores the recipe in an easy to use format.

"The people hate the lizards and the lizards rule the people."
"Odd," said Arthur, "I thought you said it was a democracy."
"I did," said Ford, "it is."
"So," said Arthur, hoping he wasn't sounding ridiculously obtuse, "why don't the people get rid of the lizards?"
"It honestly doesn't occur to them. They've all got the vote, so they all pretty much assume that the government they've voted in more or less approximates the government they want."
"You mean they actually vote for the lizards."
"Oh yes," said Ford with a shrug, "of course."
"But," said Arthur, going for the big one again, "why?"
"Because if they didn't vote for a lizard, then the wrong lizard might get in."

Posts: 3514 | Location: Two blocks from the Center of the Universe | Registered: December 30, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by lastmanstanding:

I cruised over to YouTube and checked this claim out… (for a friend)

What in the Hell? Every thumbnail under “off grid” was semi nude
Women.

Posts: 491 | Location: St. Augustine, FL | Registered: April 03, 2019Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Misanthropic Philanthrope
Picture of MWC
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by cas:
I'm sorry, if you make your living uploading weekly / bi-weekly videos to the internet, you're not "off grid". Big Grin

That's why I only subscribe to the off gridders who upload by smoke signals and carrier pigeons.

Posts: 6772 | Registered: June 14, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post