SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  What's Your Deal!    Last biz hour before a holiday weekend
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Last biz hour before a holiday weekend Login/Join 
Picture of konata88
posted
Who organizes a meeting for the last biz hour before a holiday weekend? Seriously, who does that?

"Wrong does not cease to be wrong because the majority share in it." L.Tolstoy
"A government is just a body of people, usually, notably, ungoverned." Shepherd Book

Posts: 12683 | Location: In the gilded cage | Registered: December 09, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
drop and give me
20 pushups
posted Hide Post
Guess they are trying to see who is going to try and skate out early. ............. drill sgt.

Posts: 1954 | Location: denham springs , la | Registered: October 19, 2019Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Eye on the
Silver Lining
posted Hide Post
Apparently your boss?

"Trust, but verify."

Posts: 5284 | Registered: October 24, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Blume9mm
posted Hide Post
It's called:

"Working For The Man"

My Native American Name:
"Runs with Scissors"

Posts: 4441 | Location: Greenville, SC | Registered: January 30, 2017Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Lesson to be learned - block off the last three hours of every Friday on your Outlook calendar.

Posts: 4979 | Registered: April 20, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of SPWAMike0317
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Graniteguy:
Lesson to be learned - block off the last three hours of every Friday on your Outlook calendar.

Words to live by, each year on the first day of work I set a meeting every Friday of the year, 1 PM to 5 PM. Me, myself and I were the only attendees.

It allowed me to work on my actual work. Since it's booked, people who actually know how to schedule meetings using a corporate calendar knew I was busy. Clueless people were ignored.

I also scheduled daily lunch time since lazy PM's schedule meetings between 12 and 1.

Attending any meeting at these times was at my discretion.

I am retired and miss this nonsense NOT AT ALL.

Let me help you out. Which way did you come in?

Posts: 715 | Location: North of Pittsburgh, PA | Registered: January 29, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of konata88
posted Hide Post
Not my boss but chaired by mgmt in another group. Relatively large meeting but my absence would be noticed so I can't skip. I'm hoping enough other people decline the meeting so that we don't have sufficient quorum.

"Wrong does not cease to be wrong because the majority share in it." L.Tolstoy
"A government is just a body of people, usually, notably, ungoverned." Shepherd Book

Posts: 12683 | Location: In the gilded cage | Registered: December 09, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Prefontaine
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by konata88:
Who organizes a meeting for the last biz hour before a holiday weekend? Seriously, who does that?

Suddenly you have a large pain with a tooth. The pain is excruciating and you need to see your dentist, pronto!

What am I doing? I'm talking to an empty telephone

Posts: 12569 | Location: Down South | Registered: January 16, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Eschew Obfuscation
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by SPWAMike0317:

I am retired and miss this nonsense NOT AT ALL.

Another tip: Block out your calendar for the entire day of your first day back in the office from vacation or a long business trip. It keeps people from trying to schedule meetings/calls with you before you have a chance to catch up.

I’m retired too now and don’t miss it one bit.

“Civilization is not inherited; it has to be learned and earned by each generation anew; if the transmission should be interrupted for one century, civilization would die, and we should be savages again." - Will Durant

Posts: 6373 | Location: Chicago, IL | Registered: December 17, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
אַרְיֵה
Picture of V-Tail
posted Hide Post
I am thankful that department meetings, team meetings, etc. are no longer part of my life.

I have nightmarish memories of much time wasted in meetings because a couple of morons got into endless discussions over trivial points, droning on and on, just to hear themselves talk.

That sort of nonsense tends to be minimized in Friday afternoon meetings, especially Friday afternoon before a holiday weekend. I sometimes scheduled meetings at those times, specifically for that reason. Those meetings were more like "let's get this done and get the hell out of here."

הרחפת שלי מלאה בצלופחים

Posts: 30546 | Location: Central Florida, Orlando area | Registered: January 03, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of P250UA5
posted Hide Post
Makes me glad to work in a small-ish company, in an office with only about 40 people (when full) and in a dept of 3.

Not a lot of time-water meetings & my boss isn't a fan of them either.

We'll likely be dismissed around noon tomorrow. Cool

The Enemy's gate is down.

Posts: 15154 | Location: Spring, TX | Registered: July 11, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Meetings

"Because one of us could never be as stupid as all of us."

Big Grin

Posts: 4979 | Registered: April 20, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Unapologetic Old
School Curmudgeon
Picture of Lord Vaalic
posted Hide Post
Actually if you absolutely have to have a meeting, thats a great time. Always have them just before lunch or at the end of the day. That way they do not lag on, poeople dont ask stupid shit, everyone wants to GTFO.

After lunch or early, everyone is still tried, full, have the whole day ahead, and will drag it on so they dont have to do real work.

Don't weep for the stupid, or you will be crying all day

Posts: 10719 | Location: TN | Registered: December 18, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Eschew Obfuscation
posted Hide Post
At my office, meetings were usually a great substitute for work.

Toward the end of my career, I got to where I responded to meeting invites with a request for a detailed agenda. Of course, they never had one and I would decline the invite. Doing that saved me, conservatively, 2 hours a day.

I also immediately declined invites for calls before or after office hours. If asked why, I just said I’m not available.

Of course, in my last couple of reviews I was dinged for not being a “team player”, but I was way beyond caring.

“Civilization is not inherited; it has to be learned and earned by each generation anew; if the transmission should be interrupted for one century, civilization would die, and we should be savages again." - Will Durant

Posts: 6373 | Location: Chicago, IL | Registered: December 17, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I Deal In Lead
Picture of Flash-LB
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by CoolRich59:
At my office, meetings were usually a great substitute for work.

Toward the end of my career, I got to where I responded to meeting invites with a request for a detailed agenda. Of course, they never had one and I would decline the invite. Doing that saved me, conservatively, 2 hours a day.

I also immediately declined invites for calls before or after office hours. If asked why, I just said I’m not available.

Of course, in my last couple of reviews I was dinged for not being a “team player”, but I was way beyond caring.

Worked in one place where my Manager was in meetings almost 8 hours a day, every day. I told everyone his job title was "Professional Meeting Atendee".

Anyway, he got in a bad accident and I became the acting Manager for the Engineering Section.

I got calls all day every day inviting me to meetings. I would say okay, what input are you expecting from my Engineering Section. They'd always say "None". Then I'd say, okay, what input do you have for my Engineering Section. They'd say "None."

Then I'd say okay, I won't be there and hung up. Never did get any flak over that in spite of doing it for a couple of months.

Posts: 10626 | Location: Gilbert Arizona | Registered: March 21, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Eschew Obfuscation
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Flash-LB:

Worked in one place where my Manager was in meetings almost 8 hours a day, every day. I told everyone his job title was "Professional Meeting Atendee".

Anyway, he got in a bad accident and I became the acting Manager for the Engineering Section.

I got calls all day every day inviting me to meetings. I would say okay, what input are you expecting from my Engineering Section. They'd always say "None". Then I'd say, okay, what input do you have for my Engineering Section. They'd say "None."

Then I'd say okay, I won't be there and hung up. Never did get any flak over that in spite of doing it for a couple of months.

Makes you wonder why he was in those meetings if his attendance wasn’t necessary. Wink

But, I knew lots of people like that; their day was one long series of meetings.

Then there were those who liked to “complain” about being “double-booked”, where they accepted invites for meetings at the same time.

Even though they acted like it was a burden, I suspect they enjoyed it because it showed how important and indispensable they were. Roll Eyes

I Deal In Lead
Picture of Flash-LB
posted Hide Post
He was in the meetings when his attendance wasn't required because he had nothing else to do all day long. His only real task every year was to write reviews for his directs. And every year they all read the exact same...we compared reviews every year. It said how nice it was to be working with you and how he looked forward to another year and here's a nice raise.

And he had nothing else to do because he was a very incompetent Mechanical Engineer who the company couldn't figure out how to fire without getting sued.

I learned all that from a Director who worked there and was very competent.

Posts: 10626 | Location: Gilbert Arizona | Registered: March 21, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Eschew Obfuscation
posted Hide Post
Was this Motorola, by chance?

posted Hide Post
When I left my last job that had meetings, I gave my CO a parting gag gift. He hated meetings and would cut off BS in them pretty quickly. I had a sports shop make up a football ref's weighted flag with "BULLSHIT" stenciled on it in very large letters. Now, he could not only cut off the BS, he could impose a penalty while doing so. Smile

===
I would like to apologize to anyone I have *not* offended. Please be patient. I will get to you shortly.

Posts: 2064 | Location: The Sticks in Wisconsin. | Registered: September 30, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
His diet consists of black
coffee, and sarcasm.
Picture of egregore
posted Hide Post
There is a saying, possibly by Thomas Sowell, "People who enjoy having meetings should never be in charge of anything." One boss I had, in such a meeting, crumpled up a piece of paper, called it "the ball" and passed it around to see who picked it up and ran with it, passed it on or dropped it. Roll Eyes I don't think he liked that I not only dropped it, but had a "what the fuck is this shit" look on my face. Big Grin And this wasn't a large corporate office, just an auto repair shop with maybe 6 employees.

quote:
Who organizes a meeting for the last biz hour before a holiday weekend?

If they kept me after work for this, I'd be seriously pissed off.

Posts: 27836 | Location: Johnson City/Elizabethton, TN | Registered: April 28, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post