SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  What's Your Deal!    I'm all for defending teachers, but we'll be discussing this in person.
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

I'm all for defending teachers, but we'll be discussing this in person. Login/Join 
Picture of OttoSig
posted
I get automated emails for my stepson's classes.

In Art I keeping seeing he has a Grade of E or below. WTF is an E? Regardless, since he started after the school year began I'm curious is this some mistake based off him starting late, computer error, or is he genuinely not doing well.

I email her and ask if this is due to him not turning in assignments or completing work, or is it due to some other reason such as there is backed assignments from before he registered.

"Yes"

That's the email I got. YES. Not even a Mr. Otto, or a signature or anything. Am I on freaking text or Twitter?

Could you elaborate, I'll correct the issue but I just want to know how many assignments he is late on, and which ones are from before he registered or after. That was my response email.

"Use the parent portal"

I've already explained I'm overseas in the middle of a PCS, this is a school on base so they aren't ignorant to military struggles in this department. So I thank her for her time and we'll be having a conversation when I arrive in Maryland with her and the principal.

I appreciate the Parent Portal feature and I'm sure I'll use it in time, but I'm asking you a damn question. With that attitude I'm the type of petty MF'er that would like to tell my son to draw nothing but dicks and hand it in. I don't play that BS. I do my job you GD sure gonna do yours.

Obviously I'll make my stepson complete his stuff and I'll get in his lazy butt when I get home, we talking about ART here, who the hell fails art? But he's not being any less lazy than this teacher.

W.T.F.

ETA: I took out some of the profanity, I was mad when I wrote it, now I'm just planning Smile

This message has been edited. Last edited by: OttoSig,

11 years to retirement! Just waiting!

Posts: 6300 | Location: Maryland | Registered: August 10, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The Unmanned Writer
Picture of LS1 GTO
posted Hide Post
No.

Life moves pretty fast. If you don't stop and look around once in a while, you could miss it.

Only in an insane world are the sane considered insane.

The memories of a man in his old age
Are the deeds of a man in his prime

Posts: 14032 | Location: It was Lat: 33.xxxx Lon: 44.xxxx now it's CA :( | Registered: March 22, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of erj_pilot
posted Hide Post
One of my favorite quotes of all time...

"Attitude reflect leadership, Captain." - Remember the Titans, Julius Campbell

Based on the curt, useless, terse response you're getting from the "teacher", it would appear your son's attitude may be reflective of her ability to lead.

"If you’re a leader, you lead the way. Not just on the easy ones; you take the tough ones too…” – MAJ Richard D. Winters (1918-2011), E Company, 2nd Battalion, 506th Parachute Infantry Regiment, 101st Airborne

"Woe to those who call evil good, and good evil... Therefore, as tongues of fire lick up straw and as dry grass sinks down in the flames, so their roots will decay and their flowers blow away like dust; for they have rejected the law of the Lord Almighty and spurned the word of the Holy One of Israel." - Isaiah 5:20,24

Posts: 11066 | Location: NW Houston | Registered: April 04, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of P250UA5
posted Hide Post
Around here, E is typically not for grading, but rather conduct. E being the highest conduct 'grade'
I've seen it used as a grade for elective or fine arts classes, but usually in the very early grade levels.

The Enemy's gate is down.

Posts: 15249 | Location: Spring, TX | Registered: July 11, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
A Grateful American
Picture of sigmonkey
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by erj_pilot:
One of my favorite quotes of all time...

"Attitude reflect leadership, Captain." - Remember the Titans, Julius Campbell

Based on the curt, useless, terse response you're getting from the "teacher", it would appear your son's attitude may be reflective of her ability to lead.

I agree. A good teacher would have appreciated the contact and inquiry and it would take very little effort to give a meaningful reply.

She gets a D- from me.

"the meaning of life, is to give life meaning" Ani Yehudi אני יהודי Le'olam lo shuv לעולם לא שוב!

Posts: 43859 | Location: ...... I am thrice divorced, and I live in a van DOWN BY THE RIVER!!! (in Arkansas) | Registered: December 20, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Nullus Anxietas
Picture of ensigmatic
posted Hide Post
I haven't seen "E" used in a long, long time, but I don't have any children in school, either.

When I was in grade school I clearly remember grading being A-E. Then, at some point, they dropped the "E" and substituted "F," for "Fail(ing)."

I thought at the time that was stupid. I still think it's stupid.

"America is at that awkward stage. It's too late to work within the system,,,, but too early to shoot the bastards." -- Claire Wolfe
"If we let things terrify us, life will not be worth living." -- Seneca the Younger, Roman Stoic philosopher

Posts: 26009 | Location: S.E. Michigan | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
אַרְיֵה
Picture of V-Tail
posted Hide Post
I need to slow down and read carefully.

At first glance I thought that you wanted to defund teachers.

הרחפת שלי מלאה בצלופחים

Posts: 30636 | Location: Central Florida, Orlando area | Registered: January 03, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Perception
posted Hide Post
What grade is your son in? Around here, they used a different scale through 3rd grade. E was the highest for excellent, S was next for satisfactory, and I don't remember the rest because I never got one. You didn't start getting "real" grades until you got to 4th grade. I wonder if something like that is going on, and the teacher is just terrible at communicating.

"The people hate the lizards and the lizards rule the people."
"Odd," said Arthur, "I thought you said it was a democracy."
"I did," said Ford, "it is."
"So," said Arthur, hoping he wasn't sounding ridiculously obtuse, "why don't the people get rid of the lizards?"
"It honestly doesn't occur to them. They've all got the vote, so they all pretty much assume that the government they've voted in more or less approximates the government they want."
"You mean they actually vote for the lizards."
"Oh yes," said Ford with a shrug, "of course."
"But," said Arthur, going for the big one again, "why?"
"Because if they didn't vote for a lizard, then the wrong lizard might get in."

Posts: 3514 | Location: Two blocks from the Center of the Universe | Registered: December 30, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of OttoSig
posted Hide Post
He's in 7th. My wife confirmed he's not excelling lol. He's not turning in his assignments.....in ART.

11 years to retirement! Just waiting!

Posts: 6300 | Location: Maryland | Registered: August 10, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Not turning in art assignments... is this the only class he's missing work, could be he doesn't like the teacher?

Posts: 10052 | Registered: October 15, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Is Dad out of the picture??

Posts: 17221 | Location: Stuck at home | Registered: January 02, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Bookers Bourbon
and a good cigar
Picture of Johnny 3eagles
posted Hide Post
Reading is FUNdamental.Smile

BIDEN SUCKS.

If you're goin' through hell, keep on going.
Don't slow down. If you're scared don't show it.
You might get out before the devil even knows you're there.

NRA ENDOWMENT LIFE MEMBER

Posts: 7120 | Location: Arkansas  | Registered: November 06, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Pyker
posted Hide Post

Posts: 2763 | Location: Lake Country, Minnesota | Registered: September 06, 2019Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Misanthropic Philanthrope
Picture of MWC
posted Hide Post
If you meet with them to talk, they'll probably have the local police or FBI put you under investigation for being a threat. It's a different world now. Put your child in private school.

Posts: 6772 | Registered: June 14, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Prepared for the Worst, Providing the Best
Picture of 92fstech
posted Hide Post
Yeah, I'd be pissed too. Teacher needs to gain some communications skills...if she handles the classroom the same way she handled that conversation with a parent who's trying to understand and correct his son's performance, it's no wonder kids are struggling in her classes.

A side note...the goofy grading scales are getting out of hand. My kids's PRIVATE school went to this new system of Ms and Ss and Ps a few years back, because it "better reflects the student's understanding of the core skillsets" or some BS like that. What it actually does is just replace the traditional A through F with some undecipherable code, and as a result the report card is a useless piece of paper that the parents don't understand and can't use to provide any guidance for their kid.

Posts: 8528 | Location: In the Cornfields | Registered: May 25, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of spunk639
posted Hide Post
I would be preparing for a visit from the local police or FBI field office after meeting with the school officials, had it happen to a friend here, went in with wife to question report card and assignments for 11 year old. Meeting was business like, non confrontational but dad expressed he didn’t agree or like subject matter and felt it wasn’t appropriate for an 11 year old. TG issues and race, as well as racism being inherent in Caucasian people. Three days later, a State Trooper, FBI Agent from the JTTF and a local PD detective came to speak to dad, thankfully dad didn’t allow them in and called his lawyer, btw Dad is a firefighter.

Posts: 2769 | Location: Boston, Mass | Registered: December 02, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
and this little pig said:
posted Hide Post
Probably gonna get banned....

Bring in some examples of Hunter Biden art and tell her what he gets for these abominable examples of art!

Posts: 3399 | Registered: February 07, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Corgis Rock
Picture of Icabod
posted Hide Post
I suggest a backpack dump.

Often, students will do an assignment and not hand it in. It just sits in the backpack. Why? Fear of being told to redo it, correct things, or getting a bad grade. All are embarrassing.

In our school, art students had cubbies to keep supplies and projects. I’d go down with students, get into the cubby and hand stuff in. One student went from failing to a strong “B.”

The parent portal should/ought have all assignments and their status.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Icabod,

“ The work of destruction is quick, easy and exhilarating; the work of creation is slow, laborious and dull.

Posts: 6060 | Location: Outside Seattle | Registered: November 29, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of K0ZZZ
posted Hide Post
Maryland is one of those states that use A B C D E as grades, so an E is an F.

... Chad

http://shotworkspro.com - Much better than scrap paper! Use 'Take5' to get 5 bucks off.

Posts: 770 | Location: Colorado Springs, CO | Registered: December 14, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Pursuing the wicked
Picture of rangemaster
posted Hide Post
You’ve got my vote for drawing dick pictures

Posts: 1620 | Location: West Virginia | Registered: December 08, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post