SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  What's Your Deal!    "Buy my 'custom' stippled Glock with aftermarket everything, only $2k!"
Page 1 2 3 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

"Buy my 'custom' stippled Glock with aftermarket everything, only $2k!" Login/Join 
Frangas non Flectes
Picture of P220 Smudge
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by cas:
People who use upgrades tend to mean crap they bolted on.

Bingo. See also: "mods."

quote:
And believe me, I'm a life long believer in the motto "a gun is never truly yours until you void the factory warranty", but I don't expect people to pay EXTRA for it. Smile

Same here with guitars, but I'd never think to try to sell one priced higher for all the shit I've swapped out. I get that it means taking a hit on resale value, but some people think it means the opposite.

Posts: 17113 | Location: Sonoran Desert | Registered: February 10, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I Deal In Lead
Picture of Flash-LB
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by P220 Smudge:
quote:
People who use upgrades tend to mean crap they bolted on.

Bingo. See also: "mods."

quote:
And believe me, I'm a life long believer in the motto "a gun is never truly yours until you void the factory warranty", but I don't expect people to pay EXTRA for it. Smile

Same here with guitars, but I'd never think to try to sell one priced higher for all the shit I've swapped out. I get that it means taking a hit on resale value, but some people think it means the opposite.

You left out "Many Extras"

Posts: 10626 | Location: Gilbert Arizona | Registered: March 21, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
My favorite is when they end it with “no low ball offers, I know what I got!”

Posts: 3371 | Registered: December 06, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
chickenshit
Picture of rsbolo
posted Hide Post
I am also amazed by the "modification" crowd and what they expect from their "creations" when they try and sell them.

It can be very subjective. I've seen posts here showing off some pretty amazing work on all sorts of guns that I would be proud to own and even pay extra when (if) purchasing. You all know the story though, for every skilled and patient person who lovingly and carefully modifies items there are hundreds who fling crap or melt plastic with a soldering iron and think that they ADDED value.

Jeep wranglers can be the same way. "Look! I bolted on $5,000 worth of cheap amazon jeep parts! My Jeep is now worth $7,500 more!"

Posts: 8000 | Location: East Central FL | Registered: January 05, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Little ray
of sunshine
Picture of jhe888
posted Hide Post
Here's how I handle those sellers. I don't buy their stuff.

The fish is mute, expressionless. The fish doesn't think because the fish knows everything.

Posts: 53121 | Location: Texas | Registered: February 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Frangas non Flectes
Picture of P220 Smudge
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by jhe888:

Thanks for the advice.

Posts: 17113 | Location: Sonoran Desert | Registered: February 10, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Oriental Redneck
Picture of 12131
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
Originally posted by jhe888:

Thanks for the advice.

You forgot the [/sarcasm]. Some people might think you were serious. Big Grin

Q

Posts: 26349 | Location: TEXAS | Registered: September 04, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Just move on brother, don't get all worked up and fret about it.

-----------------
Silenced on the net, Just like Trump

Posts: 578 | Location: SUX | Registered: May 31, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
chickenshit
Picture of rsbolo
posted Hide Post
Oh sure! Ignore them! Sage advice....

Wait, what would we bitch about?

Posts: 8000 | Location: East Central FL | Registered: January 05, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Epic rant. I particularly liked the "dandelion-harvester" reference. Nice touch.

Otherwise, these kind of ads don't raise my blood pressure at all. I wouldn't buy it, you wouldn't buy it , hell no one here would. But if the seller can find someone out there in the intraverse who will, fine with me.

As P.T. Barnum said......

Posts: 549 | Location: S Fla / Western NC High Country | Registered: May 03, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Frangas non Flectes
Picture of P220 Smudge
posted Hide Post
Guys. I’m not mad about these ads. My blood pressure wasn’t up. I don’t particularly care what people choose to charge for their stuff. It seemed like a fun opportunity to go Lewis Black on a particular subset of the gun community that I find laughable. Laugh with me. Cool?

posted Hide Post
Cool

I still think it was epic!

Posts: 549 | Location: S Fla / Western NC High Country | Registered: May 03, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Frangas non Flectes
Picture of P220 Smudge
posted Hide Post
Thanks. That wasn’t purely directed at you, btw. Wink

On the wrong side of
the Mobius strip
Picture of Patrick-SP2022
posted Hide Post
This kind of reminds me of people who are trying to sell their POS car that has been upgraded with every bolt on accessory from the J.C. Whitney catalog, complete with a list of items installed and the advertised HP gain.

Based on the accessories, the car is putting out about eleventy billion HP and getting 100 MPG and can run on bovine urine.

Ok, the bovine urine is an exaggeration. Smile

Posts: 4127 | Location: Texas | Registered: April 16, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I have no problem with people customizing their own gun, as some of them look really cool but do understand you will never get the money you have invested back. I had a custom Glock years ago and had it for quite a while but being it was a Glock 34, there was not much it would be used for in my home. I sold it and took a loss but it wasn't overly done. What kills me is when people spray paint a firearm and say it is custom and want more for it, when it is more so destroyed, to me. Recently on a local forum, someone had a Wilson Combat EDC X9 and it was spray painted in a bad camo colored motif and wanted top dollar for it. I don't understand the logic sometimes.

Posts: 6872 | Location: Treasure Coast,Fl. | Registered: July 04, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
semi-reformed sailor
Picture of MikeinNC
posted Hide Post

"Violence, naked force, has settled more issues in history than has any other factor.” Robert A. Heinlein

“You may beat me, but you will never win.” sigmonkey-2020

“A single round of buckshot to the torso almost always results in an immediate change of behavior.” Chris Baker

Posts: 11270 | Location: Temple, Texas! | Registered: October 07, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Banned
posted Hide Post
quote:
Guys. I’m not mad about these ads. My blood pressure wasn’t up. I don’t particularly care what people choose to charge for their stuff. It seemed like a fun opportunity to go Lewis Black on a particular subset of the gun community that I find laughable. Laugh with me. Cool?

Eeehhhh…. Kinda seems like you are mad. Especially because you’re taking time to link this thread of yours into other threads like mine, on the pure assumption something will be over priced because it’s modded. Its clear you take it personally, and think your opinion carries some level of authority that should be universally recognized. Looks to me like the intersection of a few things. 1- some folks over priced some guns and you got butt hurt. 2- you dont like stippled guns, and are butt hurt some people do 3- you want good shit at cheap shit prices, and feel it is people’s responsibility to do that for you.

Sound about right?

This message has been edited. Last edited by: kiwikurt,

Posts: 99 | Location: Virginia | Registered: August 03, 2021Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gloom, despair and
agony on me.
Picture of drabfour
posted Hide Post
But it’s uber tacticool and besides who needs a trigger guard anyways. Big Grin

Posts: 4986 | Location: Texas | Registered: July 22, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Frangas non Flectes
Picture of P220 Smudge
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by kiwikurt:
Gonna sell all my glocks sans one. Trying to decide if I’m keeping my G5 17FS or this guy:

Haley skimmer trigger, glockstore slide lock, tungsten guiderod, tlr-7, stippled grip withe blended mag well, and it isnt a MOS. custom slide cut for proper/true lower 1/3 cowitness without being eiffe tower tall, refinished over the rmr cut. Shoots real nice.

tarzan's swing crossword

quote:

quote:
quote:

Sending me a link to a diatribe of verbal diarrhea you posted about how you want modded guns for less than stock guns doesn’t really sway me too much. You want done up AR’s with the best parts and optics for under a grand, buy a bushmaster from billy bob and get a tapco ‘scope’. No, i wont sell you a gun with a rmr for less than one without, on account of you not wanting to pay for a rmr. Roll Eyes gtfo.

You dont define the market. Only what you as an individual want.

quote:
quote:

Eeehhhh…. Kinda seems like you are mad. Especially because you’re taking time to link this thread of yours into other threads like mine, on the pure assumption something will be over priced because it’s modded. Its clear you take it personally, and think your opinion carries some level of authority that should be universally recognized. Looks to me like the intersection of a few things. 1- some folks over priced some guns and you got butt hurt. 2- you dont like stippled guns, and are butt hurt some people do 3- you want good shit at cheap shit prices, and feel it is people’s responsibility to do that for you.

Sound about right?

Ok, quoted for posterity, and so it's all in one place. Let's discuss this here instead of Para's thread, ok? We can shit this one up plenty if we need to, I'd really rather not shit up that one.

So, before I say anything else, welcome to Sigforum! There's a lot of love here, and there's also some good-natured ball-busting from time to time. I looked up your posting history, and if it's accurate, it would seem to indicate that this is likely a process you've gone through and should be familiar with. If I offended you, my apologies.

Some people like to watch movies. Some people like jerk off. I like to write, and for me, it serves much the same purposes of the prior two - it's entertaining to me on a number of levels, not the least of which is some sort of perverse amusement. Welcome to a thread where I did just that. Please, don't squirm. We're going to be fine. Smile

Now, when I initially wrote this thread, I really didn't hold back. Truly, I let it fly. What I wasn't doing was sitting here with an angry look on my face when I typed it. I was laughing. No, really, I find a lot of humor in what I wrote. Obviously, you didn't, and that's... whatever. You're going to run into opinions on the internet you don't agree with (even if they're correct).

I'm going to use ol' fashioned quotation marks to address your points rather than use the forum code to indicate and attribute quotations. This will be tedious, but my intent is to make it somewhat less so. Ok, let's begin.

You know, but before we do, I'd like to draw your attention to a particular feature of this forum. We have these little faces you can place in posts that have certain expressions on them. When you go to post, as I am now, there's a little row of boxes above the posting field. They're dark green. To the far left is just such a box with just such a face. This particular one happens to be smiling. When you click on that smiling face, there's a drop-down field with more faces! They all have different expressions. Some look happy, some look confused. Some look mad. The neat thing about these faces is, if you click on one, it places it at your cursor in the posting field. When you've done so, you've included an image of a face expressing a particular emotion in your post in an attempt to indicate emotions or intent - mind you, this is because it can often be difficult to determine intent and tone with pure text, especially given the limits of the average writer, or the average reader and should either one be less than average, this compounds. If you'll notice, there's one such face sticking a tongue out. This one, I feel, indicates mirth, or even perhaps "razzing." This may be a foreign concept to you, having had a long career in the military, but occasionally some people will address you in such a way to indicate that you're welcome among them... if you can take a joke. Now, paired with a direct link to this thread where I savage people who do to Glocks what you did to Glocks immediately following a post from 1lowlife where he was perhaps... less mirthful didn't come out as funny as I'd hoped, and again, you have my sincere apologies for hurting your feelings. But do make note of the fact that this "emoji" or "emote" was indeed present in my initial post to you.

Ok. Now to address what you've had to say.

"Sending me a link to a diatribe of verbal diarrhea you posted about how you want modded guns for less than stock guns doesn’t really sway me too much." - Indicate to me where, exactly, I said any such thing. The only place in my initial post where I talked about what I was willing to pay was where I said I wasn't going to pay $800 for a Glock 48 some guy sodomized with a soldering iron. I wouldn't pay $800 for any Glock 48, and in fact, just yesterday, I bought a used Glock 48 with four magazines, a red dot (albeit a Burris Fastfire III, but hey), a holster, two mag carriers, and a pouch full of Glock tools for $480. But do you know what wasn't included in this deal? A fucking stipple job.

"You want done up AR’s with the best parts and optics for under a grand, buy a bushmaster from billy bob and get a tapco ‘scope’." - I never indicated wanting an AR anywhere, in any post. Go back and read it again if you doubt me, it's all there in black and taupe.

"No, i wont sell you a gun with a rmr for less than one without, on account of you not wanting to pay for a rmr. Roll Eyes gtfo." - I don't recall saying anywhere that I would want to buy a Glock with an RMR for less than one without an RMR. That reading comprehension needs some work, Kurt. What I do recall writing is that an RMR seems to be installed on every bubba'd Glock that pops up used for an obscene price. Commonality, not causality.

"You dont define the market. Only what you as an individual want." This is true enough. What I didn't post about was what I was willing to pay for a fucked-over Glock, or AR for that matter. What I did post was observations of the local market where these wonderous creations pop up for sale priced at every penny the... erm... "builder" put into them. What I didn't implicitly get into was that these "custom" Glocks seem to sit for weeks or months with repeated bumps until the seller pulls the ad. Not once have I seen a Glock like yours get posted on that forum for the price people ask for them, and someone immediately posts "I'll take it. PM sent." Not once. I'm sure it happens, but I haven't seen it.

"Eeehhhh…. Kinda seems like you are mad." I addressed this earlier. Think of it like a fine pastry - lots of flaky, buttery layers. Perhaps overwrought in an attempt to be rich just for its sake, but you can't deny the effort, whether you like the way the result tastes or not. Here's another one of those faces: Wink

"Especially because you’re taking time to link this thread of yours into other threads like mine, on the pure assumption something will be over priced because it’s modded." - A minor niggle, but that's Para's thread, not yours. It didn't take much time, in fact. Perhaps less than a minute, and surely no more than two. I didn't say your Glock would be overpriced. I jokingly said you'd lose your ass on it. That implies you'll get less than you've got in it, right? That is, unless you're going to price it closer to what you've got in it, in which case... [does math] you're one of the people I talked about in my OP!!

"Its clear you take it personally, and think your opinion carries some level of authority that should be universally recognized." It's clear that the only person taking anything personally here is you, since you took the time to reply to me both in the other thread, and this one. I don't think my opinion has any universal authority, but it could just be that I'm right and that people who've completely "customized" their plastic guns and expect to sell them for what they've got in them aren't seeing eye-to-eye with the general buying public. We could debate that if you'd like, but you'll be more convincing without the dramatic language and accusations.

" Looks to me like the intersection of a few things." Ooooh tell me more. This is my amused face -> Big Grin

"1- some folks over priced some guns and you got butt hurt." Lotsa folks overprice their guns. When they do that after they've replaced every factory part and ask $2,000 for it like they're being serious, I think there's something wrong with them. Truly, I do. Butthurt? No, more like amused. They make fantastic targets for ridicule. Like... no effort required, but I'm going to do it anyways because I like playing with words and poking fun at idiots. A character flaw to be sure, but it makes me laugh, so I'm somewhat ok with this one.

"2- you dont like stippled guns, and are butt hurt some people do" - In fact, I don't like stippled guns. I think this is the one thing you've gotten right so far, and I'd congratulate you if it weren't so obviously spelled out in my OP. I could give a fuck what other people like, truly. You wanna dip your Glock in epoxy and roll it in sand? Have at. When you post it for sale for more than what similar un-fucked used Glocks are going for because "it's custom," I'm goddamn well going to make fun of you for it.

"3- you want good shit at cheap shit prices, and feel it is people’s responsibility to do that for you." - There's a lot to unpack there, and some of it is going to be rehashing what I've already said, but I guess I'm already neck deep in this, so here goes: Good shit? No, I'm generally looking for factory guns that haven't been "customized." Cheap prices? I'm not buying stippled guns at any price. I can't even make sense of what that third swing was, but you've beyond struck out in one sentence. I guess there wasn't as much to unpack there as I initially thought.

"Sound about right?" Smile

My turn. The only butthurt I'm smelling in this thread is wafting from your general direction. I posted a link to this thread half in jest, half in "I don't see you getting out of it what you've got in it." Your replies, however, tell me the shoe fits, and boy, you're wearing it. Again, if I offended you, that wasn't my intention and you have my sincere apologies. I truly wasn't trying to step on your dick. If you're mad, that's ok, too. Have a great day Kurt!

*Edit - And now this:
quote:
I sweat a lot. So i like an aggressive stipple job, and aesthetically like them bordered well. Its a clean look with functional benefits.

The guide rods allow the cycle to cycle much smoother, especially with gibs sprayed on. I like the accuracy of the slide lock. Triggers sights and rmr on a glock are self explanatory. I dont like mos height guns. A custom cut with proper cowitness is the way to run them imo.

I tune up pretty much everything i own, because i like the way they run better that way. 1911’s. The sigs ive used over the years. The glocks need it most. Sounds like you dont like modded guns, and thats fine, but it sounds to me like you expect people to sell you top shelf stuff at cut rate prices which is as unreasonable as the folks you mention charging too much.

Id seriously recommend trying some of the stuff if you havent. The right parts in the right places make a difference. Stippling is a game changer for a plastic gun, imo.

I must have really struck a nerve if you're posting about this for three hours. You toned it down, but had to sneak in the "cut rate" comment. Look, I addressed all this above.

Mistake Not...
Picture of Loswsmith
posted Hide Post
Duh-AMN! And on a Friday morning too! Don't you realize I'm at work and can't get to the popcorn popper? Cool it for later in the day when us working stiffs can relax on the couch with this!

Mistake not my current state of joshing gentle peevishness for the awesome and terrible majesty of the towering seas of ire that are themselves the milquetoast shallows fringing my vast oceans of wrath.

Velocitas Incursio Vis - Gandhi

Posts: 1951 | Location: T-town in the 253 | Registered: January 16, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post