SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  What's Your Deal!    The down side to owning a new motorcycle
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

The down side to owning a new motorcycle Login/Join 
Three Generations
of Service
Picture of PHPaul
posted
Just registered it for another year: $207.58

I'm used to registering my antique beaters for around $40.

Worth it tho, definitely worth it.

Be careful when following the masses. Sometimes the M is silent.

Posts: 15181 | Location: Downeast Maine | Registered: March 10, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of RichardC
posted Hide Post
Remember: Ride as if you're invisible.

Ride as if they're out to kill you.

And enjoy the ride. Smile

Posts: 15844 | Location: Florida | Registered: June 23, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Three Generations
of Service
Picture of PHPaul
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by RichardC:
Remember: Ride as if you're invisible.

Ride as if they're out to kill you.

And enjoy the ride. Smile

Just glad I don't ride in Kentucky... Eek

Between weather (teens and a stiff breeze today) and the roads (lots and LOTS of sand from the winter) it'll be a while before I'm tempted to ride. 2-3 weeks certainly, probably longer.

Posts: 15181 | Location: Downeast Maine | Registered: March 10, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Yellow Jacket
posted Hide Post
[QUOTE]Originally posted by PHPaul:

Just glad I don't ride in Kentucky... Eek

QUOTE]

I hope the person who is the reason for your comment stays out of Tennessee and Georgia as well!

God's mercy: NOT getting what we deserve!
God's grace: Getting what we DON'T deserve!

"If the enemy is in range, so are you." - Infantry Journal

Bob
P239 40 S&W
Endowment NRA
Viet Nam '69-'70

Posts: 1099 | Location: Fayette County, GA | Registered: April 14, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
200 bucks plus? Geezus! Outrageous! I just paid 38 bucks and thought that was too much. And that included a late fee and a state park pass.

End of Earth: 2 Miles
Upper Peninsula: 4 Miles

Posts: 16005 | Location: Marquette MI | Registered: July 08, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Official forum
SIG Pro
enthusiast
Picture of stickman428
posted Hide Post
The same is true for new cars & trucks. It's nice to have a modern bike but older bikes are just sooooo much cheaper to register and insure.

I'm wondering how much this 99 R1 is gonna cost to insure....it's old so it should be cheap right?

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

The price of liberty and even of common humanity is eternal vigilance

Posts: 21078 | Location: San Dimas CA, the Old Dominion or the Tar Heel State…flip a coin  | Registered: April 16, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
His diet consists of black
coffee, and sarcasm.
Picture of egregore
posted Hide Post
I must have missed or forgotten where you got a new bike. What did you get?

Posts: 27835 | Location: Johnson City/Elizabethton, TN | Registered: April 28, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Three Generations
of Service
Picture of PHPaul
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by egregore:

'16 Yamaha FJ09.

More than double the horsepower of the biggest bike I've ever owned previously.

The last brand new bike I owned was an '81 or '82 Honda XL500. The improvements in suspension, brakes, tires and technology in general are nothing short of astounding.

Three Generations
of Service
Picture of PHPaul
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by YooperSigs:
200 bucks plus? Geezus! Outrageous! I just paid 38 bucks and thought that was too much. And that included a late fee and a state park pass.

I know. I just went back down and registered my antique (1974 Suzuki GT550) and it was $30.09. That's more my speed.

But, like I told the lady behind the counter, that bike was a LOT more fun to ride 40 years and 40 pounds ago... Frown

Spectemur Agendo
Picture of brecaidra
posted Hide Post
The other down side if I lived near you would be that I'd be begging for rides all the time. Wink
That's a fun looking toy.

SIGforum's triple minority

"It can't rain all the time." - Eric Draven

Posts: 16993 | Location: IA | Registered: May 28, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Three Generations
of Service
Picture of PHPaul
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by brecaidra:
The other down side if I lived near you would be that I'd be begging for rides all the time. Wink
That's a fun looking toy.

You have no idea. I grin like an idiot every time I run it up through the gears.

SWMBO used to ride with me all the time. In fact, when we were stationed in Japan, she wouldn't go off the base in a car, but she'd hop on the back of the bike and we'd ram all over the Northern end of the island.

Can't get her to throw a leg over this one tho. That fact that her 74th birthday is within sight may have some bearing on that...

It seemed like a good idea...
Picture of lude4life
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by PHPaul:
quote:
Originally posted by egregore:

'16 Yamaha FJ09.

The last brand new bike I owned was an '81 or '82 Honda XL500. The improvements in suspension, brakes, tires and technology in general are nothing short of astounding.

Very nice! I have the FZ09 and they are beasts of bikes. Amazing for the price point for sure.

-Jay

"Assault is a type of behavior, not a type of hardware." -Alan Korwin

Posts: 2810 | Location: Central Oregon | Registered: November 03, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Common sense is genius dressed in its working clothes
Picture of sandman76
posted Hide Post
Colorado really breaks it off on you. I bought a new Harley last April and with the sales tax for the County that wasn't paid at the purchase and the other fees it was over $700 to register that bike.

I just about shit.

Posts: 1956 | Location: Douglas County, Colorado | Registered: July 13, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Three Generations
of Service
Picture of PHPaul
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by sandman76:
Colorado really breaks it off on you. I bought a new Harley last April and with the sales tax for the County that wasn't paid at the purchase and the other fees it was over $700 to register that bike.

I just about shit.

Yup. The initial registration on my Tundra was nearly $800, and that was AFTER the State collected their 5.5% sales tax.

אַרְיֵה
Picture of V-Tail
posted Hide Post
I guess I'm lucky. Florida vehicle registration doesn't go by newness or vehicle value, it is based on gross weight for cars and trucks. Not sure what the formula is for motorcycles, but it was somewhere in the neighborhood of forty bucks for my BMW K75S.

הרחפת שלי מלאה בצלופחים

Posts: 30546 | Location: Central Florida, Orlando area | Registered: January 03, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of htthegrnrun'n
posted Hide Post
Wow I just bought this year's license tab for my 08 FJR 1300, and only cost me $17.00. I guess I can't come plain .

Posts: 167 | Location: North of The Iowa Corn Fields | Registered: May 20, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
fugitive from reality
Picture of SgtGold
posted Hide Post
For everything that NY does wrong, my 2005 BMW GS registration is $42.50 per year.

Posts: 7069 | Location: Newyorkistan | Registered: March 28, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of ridewv
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by PHPaul:

'16 Yamaha FJ09.

I like my FJ as well Paul. I ended up making a few changes/adds to mine. What, if anything, are you using for luggage?

BTW IIRC you have a Kubota B2650? If so that's something else we have in common mine was delivered last month. Big Grin

No car is as much fun to drive, as any motorcycle is to ride.

Posts: 7040 | Location: Northern WV | Registered: January 17, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Three Generations
of Service
Picture of PHPaul
posted Hide Post

I don't tour or take overnight rides, so a fairly nice magnetic tank bag does 99% of what I need. The other 1% is covered by a cheapo ( <$50 ) pair of nylon saddlebags that just throw over the seat with velcro straps.

And yup on the 'bota! Loving that thing. Zero complaints and coming up on the 200 hour oil change.

Three Generations
of Service
Picture of PHPaul
posted Hide Post