SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  What's Your Deal!    The down side to owning a new motorcycle
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

The down side to owning a new motorcycle Login/Join 
posted Hide Post
Just paid my renewal on 2010 Lexus hs250 was 182 for the year.... sucks...

Posts: 1304 | Location: Arizona | Registered: January 31, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Wow, taxes are out of control. I would hate to see some of your property taxes. I think it is around 40 for a bike here, does not matter the year either, so I get hit twice for that. I have 3 cars and a truck and two trailers as well as 2 ATV/UTV.
So, I have a lot of taxes. Truth is you can only drive one at a time.

NRA Life Endowment member
Tri-State Gun collectors Life Member

Posts: 2794 | Location: Ohio | Registered: December 18, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of ridewv
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by PHPaul:
I don't tour or take overnight rides, so a fairly nice magnetic tank bag does 99% of what I need. The other 1% is covered by a cheapo ( <$50 ) pair of nylon saddlebags that just throw over the seat with velcro straps.

And yup on the 'bota! Loving that thing. Zero complaints and coming up on the 200 hour oil change.

Looks like that works great for your type riding. And you're tractor does too!

I only have 1.5 hours on my B2650 (rops and turf tires) and that was just scooping some mud and debris out of a ditch and moving a couple bucket loads of stone. Haven't gotten enough snow to need cleared this year. BUT my new EA grapple just arrived at the freight terminal which I'll pick up tomorrow. I'm really looking forward to using it for moving brush piles, felled trees, rocks, etc. And the 72" mid mount mower will get a lot of use starting in a month or so.

No car is as much fun to drive, as any motorcycle is to ride.

Posts: 7095 | Location: Northern WV | Registered: January 17, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Oh stewardess,
I speak jive.
Picture of 46and2
posted Hide Post
One of a few reasons I don't bother with new bikes or vehicles. Between these fees and the initial depreciation hit, I'll leave that for others. I've become too cheap about such things

Posts: 25613 | Registered: March 12, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Three Generations
of Service
Picture of PHPaul
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Aquabird:
Wow, taxes are out of control. I would hate to see some of your property taxes. I think it is around 40 for a bike here, does not matter the year either, so I get hit twice for that. I have 3 cars and a truck and two trailers as well as 2 ATV/UTV.
So, I have a lot of taxes. Truth is you can only drive one at a time.

Actually, property taxes in my little burg aren't horrible. 4 acres, house, 4 car garage, barn and various smaller outbuildings run about $1500/year.

Taxes on '12 Corolla, '13 Tundra and '16 Yamaha kinda smart tho.

Good news is, those will last me 10-15 more years with a little luck.

Be careful when following the masses. Sometimes the M is silent.

Posts: 15223 | Location: Downeast Maine | Registered: March 10, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
When you fall, I will be there to catch you -With love, the floor
posted Hide Post
$259 for my 2016 Road Glide. My 2009 Ultra was about $80. Taxed like property.

But we have zero sales tax , nor a income tax so it balances out.

Richard Scalzo
Epping, NH

http://www.bigeastakitarescue.net

Posts: 5803 | Location: Epping, NH | Registered: October 16, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Page late and a dollar short
posted Hide Post
Plates on the cars hurt here. Based on MSRP. Like yooper said, bikes are not bad here.

Best deal is antique car plates. Restricted use but still cheap. I have both of mine under YOM (year of manufacture) registration. I get to use original license plates. Last go around it was $45.00 one time fee, non transferable and the best, NON EXPIRING. Regular Historical Plates were $35.00 for ten years.

They were probably banking on the fact that most people buy and sell cars often. One of them has had YOM plates on it since 1996 and the other since 1998. Think I did o.k. on that. Wink

-------------------------------------——————
————————--Ignorance is a powerful tool if applied at the right time, even, usually, surpassing knowledge(E.J.Potter, A.K.A. The Michigan Madman)

Posts: 8099 | Location: Livingston County Michigan USA | Registered: August 11, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of ridewv
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by shovelhead:
Plates on the cars hurt here. Based on MSRP. Like yooper said, bikes are not bad here.

Best deal is antique car plates. Restricted use but still cheap. I have both of mine under YOM (year of manufacture) registration. I get to use original license plates. Last go around it was $45.00 one time fee, non transferable and the best, NON EXPIRING. Regular Historical Plates were $35.00 for ten years.

They were probably banking on the fact that most people buy and sell cars often. One of them has had YOM plates on it since 1996 and the other since 1998. Think I did o.k. on that. Wink

Interesting as here it can be quite the opposite with antique plates because the yearly license plate for any motorcycles is $15. Where they can get us is county personal property tax which is based on value. Last year my new $20,000 Road King cost me about $200 personal property tax while my old 1993 BMW was maybe $20. First year they use the new sale price as value, subsequent years drop pretty quickly as they go with NADA Trade-in for value.

My friend works in the assessor's office here and said where people make the mistake is getting an antique plate for a valuable (antique) vehicle. A 1957 Chevy is considered an old car of little value, maybe a few hundred dollars, but if it has an "antique plate" it's considered an antique and valued with NADA Classic Car Value which may be $25,000!

No car is as much fun to drive, as any motorcycle is to ride.

Posts: 7095 | Location: Northern WV | Registered: January 17, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post