SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  What's Your Deal!    Mixed drinks at restaurants
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Mixed drinks at restaurants Login/Join 
אַרְיֵה
Picture of V-Tail
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Edmond:

Would it be considered blasphemous if I had my old fashioned in an insulated metal container instead of a "proper" glass?
Not at all blasphemous, as long as the lid seals properly.

הרחפת שלי מלאה בצלופחים

Posts: 30659 | Location: Central Florida, Orlando area | Registered: January 03, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
It's pronounced just
the way it's spelled
posted Hide Post
I was turned onto Sidecars a while back. They have all of 3 ingredients, equal parts cognac, orange liquor and lemon juice. It dates back to WWI. Most bartenders have to look it up, then they still don’t get it right.

Lately I’ve been trying to order rum old fashions, when I can find decent rums at a bar. A lot of bars have crappy rum because “no one orders rum drinks”. Yeah, because you have crappy rum! Then they make it with muddled cherries, which makes it taste like cough syrup.

Posts: 1502 | Location: Arid Zone A | Registered: February 14, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of sourdough44
posted Hide Post
I think a drink like an ‘old fashion’ can vary widely from one region to another, WI to SC, or wherever. I’ve seen it myself, sweet to not sweet.

I’m not even an expert on that drink. What I don’t like is weak drinks, I want a little kick & my $$’s worth.

Posts: 6158 | Location: WI | Registered: February 29, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Legalize the Constitution
Picture of TMats
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by frayedends:
Ever since Covid when I learned how to make cocktails I've been disappointed with bar drinks. I'm shocked when I get to a real bar that knows what they are doing.

But usually, ask them if they can make a classic daiquiri and they say some stupid shit like, "I don't have any strawberries or an Island Oasis machine." Fuck, it's just rum, sugar, and lime.

And don't even get me started on the overly sweet margaritas with sour mix. Tequila, lime, orange liqueur. I wouldn't lose my shit if they added a tiny bit of agave syrup. But damn the stuff at most bars is horrible.

Then the whiskey sour. They will literally pour the whiskey over rocks and then pour sour mix on it. WTF. When I make mine it has good bourbon, lemon juice, Demerara syrup, egg white, and 3 drops of bitters. Made with love...

Shit, you’re all the way over in Massachusetts, I was going to see if I could come over Big Grin

Posts: 13254 | Location: Wyoming | Registered: January 10, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Perception
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by sourdough44:
I think a drink like an ‘old fashion’ can vary widely from one region to another, WI to SC, or wherever. I’ve seen it myself, sweet to not sweet.

I’m not even an expert on that drink. What I don’t like is weak drinks, I want a little kick & my $$’s worth.

I think the bar industry has been affected by the same trend as the craft beer industry. Everyone is trying so hard to come out with something more outrageous than the last that they've gotten a long way away from the basics. Sometimes that means you get a great drink that you've never had before, but frequently it just means you can't get the good drink you actually want.

"The people hate the lizards and the lizards rule the people."
"Odd," said Arthur, "I thought you said it was a democracy."
"I did," said Ford, "it is."
"So," said Arthur, hoping he wasn't sounding ridiculously obtuse, "why don't the people get rid of the lizards?"
"It honestly doesn't occur to them. They've all got the vote, so they all pretty much assume that the government they've voted in more or less approximates the government they want."
"You mean they actually vote for the lizards."
"Oh yes," said Ford with a shrug, "of course."
"But," said Arthur, going for the big one again, "why?"
"Because if they didn't vote for a lizard, then the wrong lizard might get in."

Posts: 3514 | Location: Two blocks from the Center of the Universe | Registered: December 30, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post