SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  What's Your Deal!    Taxes and homeowners insurance now more than my mortgage
Page 1 2 3 4 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Taxes and homeowners insurance now more than my mortgage Login/Join 
posted Hide Post
We bought our home 12 years ago and we recently refinanced so our mortgage principal is pretty cheap.
Unfortunately, the county we live in has outrageously high property taxes, so that combined with our equally outrageous insurance rates has us paying the same amount as the mortgage.
Any tax scheme associated with income and property is theft.

No one's life, liberty or property is safe while the legislature is in session.- Mark Twain

Posts: 3500 | Location: TX | Registered: October 08, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ridewv:
I hear you, I was at the courthouse today working with them to lower my property tax. AS HRK mentioned energy is going to be getting real expensive so enjoy our cheap energy while it lasts. And don't even get me started on insurance!

I requested a meeting with the appraiser to lower my property tax, got a letter a week later saying that after his review, he determined that it needs to be raised. $5000 a year in property tax.

Posts: 406 | Location: Kansas | Registered: August 28, 2020Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Prefontaine
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by nasig:
you're working and earning money so everyone needs their cut.
by the way, extending your mortgage may lower your payment but not the cost

If it wouldn’t have lowered overall cost I would not have refinanced. Thanks.

What am I doing? I'm talking to an empty telephone

Posts: 12556 | Location: Down South | Registered: January 16, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Prefontaine
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 1s1k:
That seems outrageous for an insurance jump. I would be shopping around.

That’s after “shopping around”. I mentioned in the OP that I already use a broker who runs rates via every carrier. It’s why I use a broker. My current carrier wanted an extra $1600 a year.

quote:
Originally posted by 46and2:
Property Taxes are the annual reminder of the myth and fantasy of property ownership in this country, a neverending leash around ones neck, making sure nothing is ever "paid off", no land is ever actually owned, merely perpetually rented under a different label. It's an insidious practice.

I say the same thing. In my state, you can’t even own a vehicle. I have several titles in my safety deposit box at the bank. But if I don’t pay the state’s registration, and carry insurance, said vehicle(s) would be ultimately impounded as it would only be a matter of time before the old tag(s) were spotted by LE and I was cited. And if I don’t pay that blood money they’d sell said vehicles and pay themselves. You don’t or can’t own land, structure, or a vehicle.

I cannot wait to flee this state.

Posts: 12556 | Location: Down South | Registered: January 16, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of OttoSig
posted Hide Post
IS that 500$ for this year and 500$ to make up for what it was short last year? Or a straight 1K per year increase?

We saw the same in Pensacola after Ivan. I think my total monthly payment went up about 25%.

11 years to retirement! Just waiting!

Posts: 6236 | Location: Maryland | Registered: August 10, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Nullus Anxietas
Picture of ensigmatic
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Prefontaine:
In my state, you can’t even own a vehicle. I have several titles in my safety deposit box at the bank. But if I don’t pay the state’s registration, and carry insurance, said vehicle(s) would be ultimately impounded as it would only be a matter of time before the old tag(s) were spotted by LE and I was cited.

I cannot wait to flee this state.

To where do you believe you're going to move you believe you'd be allowed to put a vehicle on the road without current license plates and minimal liability insurance?

"America is at that awkward stage. It's too late to work within the system,,,, but too early to shoot the bastards." -- Claire Wolfe
"If we let things terrify us, life will not be worth living." -- Seneca the Younger, Roman Stoic philosopher

Posts: 25987 | Location: S.E. Michigan | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
אַרְיֵה
Picture of V-Tail
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ensigmatic:

To where do you believe you're going to move you believe you'd be allowed to put a vehicle on the road without current license plates and minimal liability insurance?
Unless it has changed since the last time I looked, the only insurance that is required in Florida is PIP (Personal Injury Protection). Even though that is really cheap, many residents of the 'hood pay the first month premium, register the hooptie, then don't pay any more and allow the policy to be cancelled for non-payment. Then, they will get in an accident and the victim has no recourse unless the victim is paying for "uninsured motorist" coverage as part of his / her policy.

I have been the "victim" more than once.

הרחפת שלי מלאה בצלופחים

Posts: 30521 | Location: Central Florida, Orlando area | Registered: January 03, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The Unmanned Writer
Picture of LS1 GTO
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Flash-LB:
For those that got in on Prop 13 yes, it's good.

Take a look at property taxes for those who didn't and you'll have a heart attack.

Uhm, prop 13 applied/applies to all who bought a home.

Taxes are like 1% of the home’s sale price and do not increase by more than 1.5% a year. Decreases are required when applicable.

Since 2004, my home taxes have risen $2K.

Life moves pretty fast. If you don't stop and look around once in a while, you could miss it.

Only in an insane world are the sane considered insane.

The memories of a man in his old age
Are the deeds of a man in his prime

Posts: 14020 | Location: It was Lat: 33.xxxx Lon: 44.xxxx now it's CA :( | Registered: March 22, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I Deal In Lead
Picture of Flash-LB
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by LS1 GTO:
quote:
Originally posted by Flash-LB:
For those that got in on Prop 13 yes, it's good.

Take a look at property taxes for those who didn't and you'll have a heart attack.

Uhm, prop 13 applied/applies to all who bought a home.

Taxes are like 1% of the home’s sale price and do not increase by more than 1.5% a year. Decreases are required when applicable.

Since 2004, my home taxes have risen $2K.

Yeah, but I know a couple who sold their California home in 2005 for $470,000.00
They were paying around $1,200.00/year for taxes.

The woman that bought their house immediately started paying $4,700.00/year in taxes.

So yes, the 2005 buyer is covered by Prop 13, but she pays almost 4 times what the previous owner was paying in property taxes.

That's what I was talking about, but wasn't clear.

Posts: 10626 | Location: Gilbert Arizona | Registered: March 21, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Prefontaine
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ensigmatic:

1. Are we on trial counselor? If so I think we need to swear in first. Roll Eyes
2. This is the “pitch your bitch” section of the forum, for good reason.
3. Where exactly did I say I want to run the roads lawless?

46and2 made an excellent point about property, and never really owning it. I stated the same extends to vehicles. I AM going to flee my native state because too many Kalifornians have moved here with their liberal bullshit and it’s become too expensive. Traffic is also a nightmare due to all the invaders. I mean driving……………anywhere.

Please let me know what other fucking questions you have. I’m all ears.

Picture of Prefontaine
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by OttoSig:
IS that 500$ for this year and 500$ to make up for what it was short last year? Or a straight 1K per year increase?

We saw the same in Pensacola after Ivan. I think my total monthly payment went up about 25%.

No. Where are you getting a shortage from? I don’t do escrow.

Current carrier sent notice in the mail that homeowners will go up $1600 a year at renewal (less than 30 days). My broker did the same work they always do and found me a better deal but it’s still going up an even $1000. Owned the house for going on 15 years and NEVER seen such rate increases. I’m an early bird as it pertains to this as my renewals are mid January. It’s going to happen to everyone who owns a home here and they are not going to like it. We are all paying, literally, out of our asses, due to that freeze that made syndicated news last February. Governor Abbott ripped Ercot’s ass publicly. Ercot didn’t do their job and failed, and now the homeowners of TX literally have to pay for their mistakes.

https://www.dallasnews.com/new...to-equipment-damage/

posted Hide Post
The really nice part of homeowners insurance these days is the deductible, especially for windstorm and hail damage. The days of $100 or $500 deductible are long gone; now it can be 2% (not 2% of the claim amount, but 2% of the insured value of the house. A $300,000 policy can have a $6,000 deductible).

Please hold while I transfer your call to the WHY THE HELL DO I CARRY INSURANCE? department.

Retired holster maker.
Retired police chief.
Formerly Sergeant, US Army Airborne Infantry, Pathfinders

Posts: 1091 | Location: Colorado | Registered: March 07, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posting without pants
Picture of KevinCW
posted Hide Post
1k per year!?!?!? Holy crap!

Strive to live your life so when you wake up in the morning and your feet hit the floor, the devil says "Oh crap, he's up."

Posts: 33287 | Location: St. Louis MO | Registered: February 15, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of OttoSig
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Prefontaine:

No. Where are you getting a shortage from? I don’t do escrow.

My apologies for missing that part.

11 years to retirement! Just waiting!

Posts: 6236 | Location: Maryland | Registered: August 10, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Oriental Redneck
Picture of 12131
posted Hide Post
These maggots will fuck you every year with higher taxes. Every single year, they appraise your house higher. Ever after protest, it still doesn't go back to the previous level. So, your taxes go up, and the homeowner insurance goes up. Fucking racket. I'm mulling not renewing the home policy after it expires next year, since I own my house outright. So sick and tired of this shit.

Q

Posts: 26179 | Location: TEXAS | Registered: September 04, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I’ve lived in my home for 30 years. Got a letter last week from my HELOC provider that I am now mandated to have flood insurance on my property because FEMA re-drew its 100 year flood map. I am now in the “danger” zone. If I don’t find flood insurance within 30 days, they will. I looked at the new map. The flood line literally cuts my property in half, meaning half of the property wouldn’t need the insurance, the other qualifies. My insurance guy says the flood policy would be $1350 a year. Five years ago it was $600. So, for me this year, it would be the flood insurance (with a $5000 deductible) in addition to the annual rise in rates of the homeowners insurance (currently at $1650/year).
The house is paid for save the HELOC. Next week I’m paying off the HELOC and closing the account. I’m tired of this crap.

Posts: 817 | Location: FL | Registered: September 19, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Jimbo Jones
posted Hide Post
I remember after I moved to TX in 2009 State Farm tried to double the cost of my homeowners insurance.

I called my local agent and was able to get a younger guy there t to level with me and he said that after all the damage of Hurricane Ike (Sep 2008) that I wasnt even in TX to experience of file a claim, SF doesnt want to be in the business of insuring homes in TX unless they are making a shit ton of money.

So after being w SF since I had first bought a home, I bailed and never looked back.

There is no state income tax in TX but they crank up your home property tax rate to make up for that.

In NC (and other states I have heard of) they gouge you with "personal property taxes" so that you pay every year some % of your vehicle (car, boat, RV) that you already paid sales tax on... Plus the state income tax.

---------------------------------------
It's like my brain's a tree and you're those little cookie elves.

Posts: 3625 | Location: Cary, NC | Registered: February 26, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Examples like this are why I always laugh when there is a big disaster and someone comments that the Insurance Companies are going to lose their asses. The Insurance Companies never lose. They know you/we will be covering all their losses (and then some) when our policies renew.

Posts: 4979 | Registered: April 20, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I Deal In Lead
Picture of Flash-LB
posted Hide Post
Just got a notice today in the mail (that was delivered at 6PM last night) for renewal of my homeowners insurance.

Same price as last time, so it hasn't gone up.

Posts: 10626 | Location: Gilbert Arizona | Registered: March 21, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
אַרְיֵה
Picture of V-Tail
posted Hide Post
I received a letter of intent not to renew from the homeowner insurance company that we were using.

The independent agent who handles my insurance told me that the company is not renewing any policies in Florida.

Time to go shopping again.

הרחפת שלי מלאה בצלופחים

Posts: 30521 | Location: Central Florida, Orlando area | Registered: January 03, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post