SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  What's Your Deal!    Business ownership and staffing.
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Business ownership and staffing. Login/Join 
chickenshit
Picture of rsbolo
posted
Right now, it sucks.

I'd love to really go into details but ultimately I cannot.

I know that makes this an impotent "bitch your bitch" but just needed to say something somewhere because I can't scream loudly at work.

Thank guys for just nodding and agreeing.

Posts: 8000 | Location: East Central FL | Registered: January 05, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Right there with ya brother! I too feel your pain.

I'm very thankful for the excellent crew that I have. But they are tired, I'm tired and we need a break...and some help. Neither of which is likely to happen.

Posts: 270 | Location: NorCal | Registered: June 24, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Just keep rowing in the same direction - things will eventually improve. Take care of those few employees that are taking care of you and your business.

I actually restocked and did inventory last weekend for a good friend that owns a liquor store in MA. Same issue - no staffing. He didn't pay me in cash. Big Grin

Posts: 4979 | Registered: April 20, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Every customer I have, 166 customers, all of them are understaffed and cannot find or keep any help.

Posts: 1181 | Location: DFW Metromess | Registered: May 20, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Eye on the
Silver Lining
posted Hide Post
I hear you. Just reviewed an employee tonight that has been with us since May, they were honest enough to admit they’d be moving on next May. Christ. 1 year. After all that training (and it’s still not complete). At least she gave us a heads up.

"Trust, but verify."

Posts: 5303 | Registered: October 24, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
His Royal Hiney
Picture of Rey HRH
posted Hide Post
You don't need to say anything more than what you said.

We can certainly imagine and understand.

Last week, we had lunch in Applebee's. I was impressed with the food. I told the manager so. He was grateful that I appreciated it and he told me he only had one cook in the kitchen.

I had the waitress call the cook out to the table so I can thank him personally. I also passed him a $20 bill as a token of my appreciation.

The manager came back and said I made the cook's day.

But when I first wanted to talk to the manager, I called the waitress that I wanted to talk to the manager. When she got him, she said to him, "A customer wants to talk to you. I don't know what I did but I'm sorry." When she learned the reason, she told me she got scared. I made it up to her.

"It did not really matter what we expected from life, but rather what life expected from us. We needed to stop asking about the meaning of life, and instead to think of ourselves as those who were being questioned by life – daily and hourly. Our answer must consist not in talk and meditation, but in right action and in right conduct. Life ultimately means taking the responsibility to find the right answer to its problems and to fulfill the tasks which it constantly sets for each individual." Viktor Frankl, Man's Search for Meaning, 1946.

Posts: 19645 | Location: The Free State of Arizona - Ditat Deus | Registered: March 24, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Nodding and agreeing here.

Retired holster maker.
Retired police chief.
Formerly Sergeant, US Army Airborne Infantry, Pathfinders

Posts: 1097 | Location: Colorado | Registered: March 07, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
My dog crosses the line
Picture of Jeff Yarchin
posted Hide Post
We just sold our business (pet store) but staffing has been our biggest challenge for the past year...bigger than supply chain issues, managing covid regulations, etc.

No one wants to work. We are in a college town and for almost a decade always had 20-30 applicants for each job post. This last month we had 6 and none wanted to work normal, part time retail hours.

Posts: 12917 | Registered: June 20, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of RichardC
posted Hide Post
Ayuh.

Posts: 15885 | Location: Florida | Registered: June 23, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Started in March of this year for me.
I've gone through more people since then than I have in years. Some stayed a whole day, some until lunch, some for an hour and some never showed up.

I'd rather be hated for who I am than loved for who I'm not.

Posts: 3652 | Location: The armpit of Ohio | Registered: August 18, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Sigforum K9 handler
Picture of jljones
posted Hide Post
I understand. America has a serious work ethic problem right now.

www.opspectraining.com

"It's a bold strategy, Cotton. Let's see if it works out for them"

Posts: 37117 | Location: Logical | Registered: September 12, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
אַרְיֵה
Picture of V-Tail
posted Hide Post
I stopped for fish & chips at a local place today. Nobody home. Closed because no workers.

הרחפת שלי מלאה בצלופחים

Posts: 30641 | Location: Central Florida, Orlando area | Registered: January 03, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Prefontaine
posted Hide Post
I do three people’s work at my position. My promotion is almost 4 years overdue now. I’m starting to look around now because if I leave, for the right fit/position, it’ll be a 20k-50k bump depending. But it has to be that right fit. What’s funny if I leave the dumb mother fuckers will have to hire 3 people to do my job, which will cost them at least an extra 100k per year in salary to replace me. + healthcare, retirement contributions, etc. If I leave, due to their new PTO policy where you can only carry 40 whole hours from one year to the next, well I’m taking my PTO so notice day is the last day as the last 2 weeks will be PTO.

So businesses can’t get quality people. And quality people get treated like shit and underpaid at positions where they actually give a fuck and do stellar work. I’ll never understand mid level management. They don’t do shit, provide almost zero, and insist on running a company top down, where the top is the Piazza tower. The building is actually leaning over from the twits at the top.

What am I doing? I'm talking to an empty telephone

Posts: 12620 | Location: Down South | Registered: January 16, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Leemur
posted Hide Post
Guy I worked with at my last job finally got a spot on day shift but they won’t let him switch until they have someone to fill his open position. That was 6 weeks ago. He’s mad as hell.

Posts: 13740 | Location: Shenandoah Valley, VA | Registered: October 16, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post