SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  What's Your Deal!    Never adjust the tire pressure of your tractor whilst inside your shop
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Never adjust the tire pressure of your tractor whilst inside your shop Login/Join 
Picture of ridewv
posted Hide Post
That works Henry!

I was contemplating making a ballast box similar to yours for my tractor but when they delivered it the salesman included an official Kubota ballast box saying he wanted me to operate safely. LOL probably felt guilty for charging me so much! Anyway I kept it for my current tractor. It's filled with stone and like yours with a PVC tube in each corner for rakes, shovels, etc.

No car is as much fun to drive, as any motorcycle is to ride.

Posts: 7098 | Location: Northern WV | Registered: January 17, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Sailor1911
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Gustofer:
I thought I'd do this the other day, so I pulled the Kubota inside, fired up the compressor, and proceeded to getting the fronts to 22 and the rears to 20.

The right rear was down to about 15 so I filled it up and over shot by a pound or two. While using my fingernail to take that little bit out, the core of the valve stem came out.

The tire, full of bio-ballast, then began to spray the ballast clear across my shop and all over my new (unfinished) cabinets to the point of filling up the drawers and soaking everything within the drawers. Then, it dawned on me to redirect the pressurized spray towards the open door and I grabbed a small piece of plywood. That only succeeded in soaking me from head to foot and my 4-wheeler, pressure washer, Masterbuilt smoker with multiple bags of chips, and multiple bags full of outlets, boxes, and wirenuts.

I had to go to confession today as I invented a few new swear words during and after that ordeal.

Not happy. Not happy at all.

The only saving grace is that it is mostly water soluble, so pretty much everything was hosed down with warm water and appears to be OK. I did, however throw away the electrical outlets and wirenuts as well as my smoker. I'm not about to eat anything that comes out of it after the inside was nearly filled with that crap. Mad

So...learn from my mistake. Don't check ballast filled tire pressures indoors.

I need a new keyboard after reading half of that.

Place your clothes and weapons where you can find them in the dark.

“If in winning a race, you lose the respect of your fellow competitors, then you have won nothing” - Paul Elvstrom "The Great Dane" 1928 - 2016

Posts: 3762 | Location: Wichita, Kansas | Registered: March 27, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by henryaz:
quote:
Originally posted by ridewv:
When using the FEL if I don't have the rear blade on I use a ballast box on the 3-point hitch. I just prefer having weight behind the rear axle to offset the loader.

My ballast box is a homemade affair. I stuck a couple of pieces of 4" plastic pipe in the concrete to serve as tool carriers.

Do the plastic pipes fill with water when it rains?

Posts: 1995 | Location: DFW Texas | Registered: March 13, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of henryaz
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by straightshooter01:

Rain? AZ? We do get some Smile , so I drilled some holes in the bottom caps for drainage. The pipes go all the way to the bottom, and the holes go through the bottom of the barrel, too. I forget what I plugged them with while filling in the concrete.

When in doubt, mumble

Posts: 10785 | Location: South Congress AZ | Registered: May 27, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of ridewv
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by straightshooter01:

I just slip caps over any of my pipes when they aren’t being used.

No car is as much fun to drive, as any motorcycle is to ride.

Posts: 7098 | Location: Northern WV | Registered: January 17, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of henryaz
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ridewv:
I just slip caps over any of my pipes when they aren’t being used.

My rakes/shovels/digging bars/pry bars stay in the tubes all the time, and the tractor is parked outside, thus the drain holes.

When in doubt, mumble

Posts: 10785 | Location: South Congress AZ | Registered: May 27, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post