SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  What's Your Deal!    Never adjust the tire pressure of your tractor whilst inside your shop
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Never adjust the tire pressure of your tractor whilst inside your shop Login/Join 
Staring back
from the abyss
Picture of Gustofer
posted
I thought I'd do this the other day, so I pulled the Kubota inside, fired up the compressor, and proceeded to getting the fronts to 22 and the rears to 20.

The right rear was down to about 15 so I filled it up and over shot by a pound or two. While using my fingernail to take that little bit out, the core of the valve stem came out.

The tire, full of bio-ballast, then began to spray the ballast clear across my shop and all over my new (unfinished) cabinets to the point of filling up the drawers and soaking everything within the drawers. Then, it dawned on me to redirect the pressurized spray towards the open door and I grabbed a small piece of plywood. That only succeeded in soaking me from head to foot and my 4-wheeler, pressure washer, Masterbuilt smoker with multiple bags of chips, and multiple bags full of outlets, boxes, and wirenuts.

I had to go to confession today as I invented a few new swear words during and after that ordeal.

Not happy. Not happy at all.

The only saving grace is that it is mostly water soluble, so pretty much everything was hosed down with warm water and appears to be OK. I did, however throw away the electrical outlets and wirenuts as well as my smoker. I'm not about to eat anything that comes out of it after the inside was nearly filled with that crap. Mad

So...learn from my mistake. Don't check ballast filled tire pressures indoors.

Posts: 19975 | Location: Montana | Registered: November 01, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Three Generations
of Service
Picture of PHPaul
posted Hide Post
Calcium Chloride or Beet Juice (aka Rim Guard)?

Be careful when following the masses. Sometimes the M is silent.

Posts: 15180 | Location: Downeast Maine | Registered: March 10, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Rinehart
posted Hide Post
Gustofer, don't feel too bad-

I did a similar thing yesterday. I was doing a service on my wheeled vertical air compressor and as I moved it I heard/felt a little liquid in the bottom. I realized I hadn't emptied the drain in awhile so I figured I would do it then.
My wife's car was in the way of moving it out of the garage so I just wheeled it to the edge of the concrete and thought that would be good enough. It had about 50 PSI left inside so I figured I wouldn't open the valve but just a little... What could possibly go wrong?

So I cracked the valve... nothing. opened it a little more... Nothing. Really gave it a turn this time and suddenly I had oily dirty water blasting everywhere as it sprayed off the floor and all around. Finally got the @#$@#$$ valve shut again and everything within ten feet was splattered. Took me 30 minutes to clean up.
I confess I said bad things.

Posts: 1507 | Location: PA | Registered: March 15, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Staring back
from the abyss
Picture of Gustofer
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by PHPaul:
Calcium Chloride or Beet Juice (aka Rim Guard)?

According to my local Kubota shop it is the Rim Guard. Similar to thinned out molasses evidently. Good thing too as I got sprayed in the eyes with it. That would not have been good had it been something more caustic.

Posts: 19975 | Location: Montana | Registered: November 01, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Dances With
Tornados
posted Hide Post
My tale of woe: I placed a new full unopened 2 liter Diet Dr Pepper on the kitchen counter. Kitty decided to rub his head against it and knocked it to the floor.

That full and fresh carbonation blew the cap off the bottle. I stood in amazement watching that missle blast around the floor spewing that sticky sweet syrupy mess of exhaust all over the place.

In a second or two it spewed out enough weight to veer upwards and hit the ceiling. It still had enough energy to scoot around.

By the time it stopped moving I was wet with Diet Dr Pepper, the floor, walls, ceiling, appliances, windows and everything else was dripping wet too. Amazingly enough it never hit me.

Kitty? He scattered zooming away at warp speed.

It was a surreal event and it reminded me of a
Wile E Coyote and Acme Products fiasco.

Posts: 11812 | Registered: October 26, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Did you come from behind
that rock, or from under it?

Picture of Audioholic
posted Hide Post
From experience with a 1947 Farmall M series with filled tires: Check your tire pressure with the valve stems at 12:00. The liquid will be below the stem and if you have to let air out you won't be spewing liquid.

"Every time you think you weaken the nation" Moe Howard

Posts: 2048 | Location: Out standing in my field. | Registered: February 07, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of henryaz
posted Hide Post

So glad I chose not to fill my rear tires. It just seemed, at the time, that there would be some mess somewhere down the road with the fill. If there's no implement on back, I carry a blue barrel full of concrete on the 3 pt hitch (buried the 3 pt hitch arms inside the concrete, except for the pins that stick out). It weighs as much as the lifting capacity of the FEL.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: henryaz,

When in doubt, mumble

Posts: 10778 | Location: South Congress AZ | Registered: May 27, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The Constable
posted Hide Post
Sounds like...Years ago I bounced a tennis ball in the garage for Roscoe the crazy Siberian Husky to catch. He launches at it, but hits the ball with his nose...which sends it up onto a shelf, knocking down a can of Rustoleum BLACK spray paint.

It hits the concrete at the perfect angle to somehow breach the seal between the can and the cans bottom...sending a spray of paint all the way to the ceiling.

The can is rolling around spraying the ceiling, then my gun safe, thgen my WHITE BMW motorcycle, then the floor. It repeats this several times, before I can throw an empty box over the can and secure it.

Luckily I had a gallon can of PPG pre paint, surface prep solvent. I wet a rag and cleaned 90% of the bike, then went to the gun safe, the ceiling, etc.

STILL have spray on the alloy rims that would not come off.

BTW....Last year had an issue with brown crap running from between the rear tire and the rim on my Kubota. Salty, brown stuff. I put the stem at 1200 and added some air, fixed the issue. Apparently I lost air when it sat for several months.

Posts: 7074 | Location: Craig, MT | Registered: December 17, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Ugly Bag of
Mostly Water
Picture of ridgerat
posted Hide Post
Could you please set up a video camera next time you add air to your tires?

Endowment Life Member, NRA • Member, Gun Owners of America & Member, Arizona Citizens Defense League

Posts: 2828 | Location: Tucson, AZ | Registered: March 25, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
אַרְיֵה
Picture of V-Tail
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by FN in MT:

brown crap running from between the rear tire and the rim on my Kubota. Salty, brown stuff.
Salty? You tasted it?

הרחפת שלי מלאה בצלופחים

Posts: 30544 | Location: Central Florida, Orlando area | Registered: January 03, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I dropped a can of Coke in the kitchen once. Panicked looking for a towel to throw on it, but it took too long. Coke everywhere! Ceiling, cabinets, you name it.

Next time I pretend I'm in a WW2 movie and sacrifice my body for the rest of the unit.

Posts: 260 | Registered: March 08, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The Constable
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by V-Tail:
quote:
Originally posted by FN in MT:

brown crap running from between the rear tire and the rim on my Kubota. Salty, brown stuff.
Salty? You tasted it?

The barn cats were licking up wherever it seeped. I gave a minimal taste test to see why. Cats seem to like salt..sure enough, salty.

Posts: 7074 | Location: Craig, MT | Registered: December 17, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Thanks for the tip, never thought of that.
My tires are almost 30 yrs old, same age as my tractor.

NRA Life Endowment member
Tri-State Gun collectors Life Member

Posts: 2794 | Location: Ohio | Registered: December 18, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Quit staring at my wife's Butt
Picture of XLT
posted Hide Post
I'm sure it wasn't funny at the time but you will laugh about it someday.

I have a liquid cooling pump on my cnc router in my cabinet shop and could swear there was no coolant running thru the lines as nothing was coming back into the reservoir so I figured there must be an air bubble or something.

So like a complete idiot I decided to pull the line off while the pump was running I just figured I would slip it back on.

In about 2 seconds I took a complete bath in antifreeze, the pressure behind that hose was way more then I was expecting, I was drinking that crap, had it in my eyes and drained a 5 gallon tank before I could get the hose back on. At least I know the pump works. Big Grin

Posts: 5574 | Registered: February 09, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Rev. A. J. Forsyth
posted Hide Post
I burn quite a bit of firewood, like A LOT of firewood per year. One time I was burning some crazy knotted up wood that was popping quite a bit. I had left the screen open for just a few seconds to grab some more logs when all of a sudden, BLAMMO! The entire fireplace exploded like someone threw a grenade into it. A veritable cascade of burning embers rained down on the living room. Dogs went wild, cats were running in place, trying to gain traction on the wood floor. The wife was not happy when she got home and noticed that the couch and carpet now had a decidedly "peppered" look.

Posts: 1639 | Location: Winston-Salem  | Registered: April 01, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
And I thought I only come to this forum to learn the latest on Sig pistols!
I won't bore you with my many mishaps as I am a very slow typist.
$H!T happens to us all - at least we can learn and laugh (or just laugh)

Posts: 463 | Location: suwanee, ga | Registered: January 01, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of SR
posted Hide Post
Gustofer,

Wow, if everyone knew there was ballast in tractor tires this would be a pretty funny comedy skit.

Speak softly and carry a big stick loaded Sig

Posts: 4887 | Location: Raleigh, North Carolina | Registered: September 27, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Staring back
from the abyss
Picture of Gustofer
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by SR:
Gustofer,

Wow, if everyone knew there was ballast in tractor tires this would be a pretty funny comedy skit.

I'd imagine that if I had a video of it all I'd probably chuckle. Now.

Picture of ridewv
posted Hide Post
LOL I can just imagine! At least it was just "bio-ballast", some fill them with spent anti-freeze they get at service stations! Eek

quote:
Originally posted by henryaz:

So glad I chose not to fill my rear tires. It just seemed, at the time, that there would be some mess somewhere down the road with the fill.....

Same here, for ultimate traction it's probably the way to go but there are disadvantages.... dealing with flats (I've had two out in the field) and swapping wheels. My last tractor had turfs and R4's mounted on 2 sets of wheels and I would swap them back and forth, I'd hate to do so if they were filled with liquid because they were heavy enough with just air. My current tractor (Kubota B2650) has turfs but I'm considering picking up a set of mounted R1's.

When using the FEL if I don't have the rear blade on I use a ballast box on the 3-point hitch. I just prefer having weight behind the rear axle to offset the loader.

No car is as much fun to drive, as any motorcycle is to ride.

Posts: 7039 | Location: Northern WV | Registered: January 17, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of henryaz
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ridewv:
When using the FEL if I don't have the rear blade on I use a ballast box on the 3-point hitch. I just prefer having weight behind the rear axle to offset the loader.

My ballast box is a homemade affair. I stuck a couple of pieces of 4" plastic pipe in the concrete to serve as tool carriers.

When in doubt, mumble

Posts: 10778 | Location: South Congress AZ | Registered: May 27, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post