SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  What's Your Deal!    High Profile Vehicles blocking your line of sight
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

High Profile Vehicles blocking your line of sight Login/Join 
posted
That is bad enough since I drive a sedan. It is unbearable when a large truck blocks your line of sight and the guy behind you in the largest Ford Truck possible is honking his horn for you to go. Really??

Posts: 17234 | Location: Stuck at home | Registered: January 02, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of P250UA5
posted Hide Post
Especially when you're trying to make a turn (left or right) and they are going straight; and they pull forward enough to block your view of cross traffic.

The Enemy's gate is down.

Posts: 15314 | Location: Spring, TX | Registered: July 11, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
^^^
See that so often, even if you're clear to pull out, its virtually impossible to see (possible) oncoming around the knucklehead beside you. So you're stuck waiting on them to clear out before assessing whether its clear or not.

While they've an unobstructed view of traffic in all directions, but pull out almost into the road anyway. Roll Eyes

<><
America, Land of the Free - because of the Brave

Posts: 1936 | Location: Goodbye, so. Fla. | Registered: January 26, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I was driving in L.A. traffic last week and struggling to read the freeway signs more than once, when blocked by a big truck.

Posts: 419 | Location: Kansas | Registered: August 28, 2020Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I drive cars. I'm a car guy. I'm not a truck or SUV guy. The only SUV I drove semi-regularly with the '04 Forester XT Turbo I got for my (ex)wife when our son was born. That was a stupid fast sleeper but a bit too soft in the suspension.

After 15 years of WRX's I stepped down to a Civic Si 6-speed a few years ago. It's relatively low center of gravity along with very well tuned suspension makes it handle very well with minimal body roll, and good stick with the 235/40-18 tires. I hate the high center ponderous feel of SUV's. I had a rental Nissan Rouge for a week on business and it sucked big time.

So yeah, driving a car I constantly get my view blocked by trucks and SUV's. It's annoying, but I drive what I like, and they can drive what they like.

Posts: 4713 | Location: Indiana | Registered: December 28, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Just pulling out of a 90 degree parking stall is an adventure in extreme caution. I only drive cars, but with all of the high riders that are everywhere I've been thinking I may have to join them with something on par with an unnatural and uncomfortably tall center of gravity just to overcome this pervasive feeling that I'm about to be t-boned by some obscured vehicle that is perpetually hidden from view by that SUV or pickup that's alongside me.

-MG

Posts: 1989 | Location: The commie, rainy side of WA | Registered: April 19, 2020Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of sourdough44
posted Hide Post
There was a fatal in MI a handful of years ago. It was a ‘T’ intersection on a highway, younger driver trying to pull out from the stop sign, left turn.

He had a semi coming from his left, blinker on, turning right onto the ‘T’ed’ Hwy. once the semi committed to the turn, he started to pull out. The semi was hiding view of a vehicle in trail. The young driver was T-boned & killed.

This may not be the exact comparison referenced, as in truck near, blocking view trying to pull out. The principles are the same, Mr Murphy may just line up the holes in the Swiss cheese & set the stage for an accident.

Posts: 6159 | Location: WI | Registered: February 29, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Raptorman
Picture of Mars_Attacks
posted Hide Post
The Bro-Dozers' headlights square in your back window when you're driving to work and you KNOW they can't see your bumper they are so close.

Every goddammed morning.

Eeewwww, don't touch it!
Here, poke at it with this stick.

Posts: 34115 | Location: North, GA | Registered: October 09, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of mcrimm
posted Hide Post
I drive a Honda S2000 during the warm months. I believe sjtill and bald1 are the only other 'S' drivers on the forum. They, along with Miata, Z3/4 and probably Corvette drivers understand.

Since your butt is about 8" off of the blacktop, seeing in front is impossible behind a high profile vehicle unless you drop back in traffic. When you do that, some asshat wheeling a 1 ton dually, diesel, lifted pickup (blowing black smoke at 65 decibels) tailgates like he's a special king of the road. I choose my lanes carefully when I'm on a multilane road. Just life with the top down.

I'm sorry if I hurt you feelings when I called you stupid - I thought you already knew - Unknown
When you have no future, you live in the past. " Sycamore Row" by John Grisham

Posts: 4224 | Location: Saddlebrooke, Arizona | Registered: December 24, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Saluki
posted Hide Post
I’ve driven high profile vehicles much of my life. Occasional dalliances with cars though. My last car was an Altima coupe, nice lines, adequate performance and good fuel economy.

I got shut of the Altima because I was afraid someone was going to kill me in it. About once every 6 months some one would pull out in front of me. This is the first vehicle I was able to set off the ABS on dry pavement avoiding multiple collisions. It felt like I was back on a motorcycle driving like the world was trying to kill me.

Didn’t have issues before or after, driving pick-ups and full size SUV’s. Not a coincidence I feel, I’d like another Mustang, hell I’d love a 370Z, I just don’t trust the people I’m sharing the roadway with to see me.

----------The weather is here I wish you were beautiful----------

Posts: 5150 | Location: southern Mn | Registered: February 26, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Prefontaine
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by mcrimm:
I drive a Honda S2000 during the warm months. I believe sjtill and bald1 are the only other 'S' drivers on the forum. They, along with Miata, Z3/4 and probably Corvette drivers understand.

Since your butt is about 8" off of the blacktop, seeing in front is impossible behind a high profile vehicle unless you drop back in traffic. When you do that, some asshat wheeling a 1 ton dually, diesel, lifted pickup (blowing black smoke at 65 decibels) tailgates like he's a special king of the road. I choose my lanes carefully when I'm on a multilane road. Just life with the top down.

I “was”. I had an AP2 for years. But I’m 6’2” and the cabin got old. Will test drive the 2022 BRZ as it may finally be a worthy replacement for the S2k. Waiting on all the new AWD turbo 6MT’s to hit first so I can make my decision.

What am I doing? I'm talking to an empty telephone

Posts: 12630 | Location: Down South | Registered: January 16, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
goodheart
Picture of sjtill
posted Hide Post
quote:
I believe sjtill and bald1 are the only other 'S' drivers on the forum. They, along with Miata, Z3/4 and probably Corvette drivers understand.

All true. However my real beef with the lifted pickups is that when driven off road (as in Maui) they pick up clumps of dirt which are then thrown off when they get on the road. In my case, putting a couple of small but nasty dents in my then-pristine S2000.

Posts: 18064 | Location: One hop from Paradise | Registered: July 27, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I hate following a large truck through an intersection. They block the view of the stoplight, so you can't tell if the light has changed to red, while you're trying to get through the intersection.

Posts: 2559 | Location: Central Virginia | Registered: July 20, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
No good deed
goes unpunished
Picture of cheesegrits
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by mcrimm:

I drove an S for years as my daily driver. The worst thing about sitting low for me was getting blinded at night by LED headlights--either oncoming or in my mirrors.

Posts: 2680 | Location: The Carolinas | Registered: June 08, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by NK402:
I hate following a large truck through an intersection. They block the view of the stoplight, so you can't tell if the light has changed to red, while you're trying to get through the intersection.
Because you're following too close . You know I'm right ... Wink

Posts: 4055 | Location: Down in Louisiana . | Registered: February 27, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post