SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  What's Your Deal!    Not really a rant but a strange observation about video display advertisements.
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Not really a rant but a strange observation about video display advertisements. Login/Join 
paradox in a box
Picture of frayedends
posted
When watching tv or just now browsing iMacs on my computer they always explain how great the new display is. The iMac retina display is awesome.

To prove how awesome the new display is they play video and I watch and I think, "Wow, that looks awesome. It's way better than my display!".

But wait what? It is my display. Clearly my display is capable of looking that great. So why do I want the new display. I dont' know.

These go to eleven.

Posts: 12406 | Location: Westminster, MA | Registered: November 14, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
chickenshit
Picture of rsbolo
posted Hide Post
Didn't I read somewhere that the acuity of the human eye is only about 2k?

Posts: 8000 | Location: East Central FL | Registered: January 05, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
chickenshit
Picture of rsbolo
posted Hide Post
OK, I went and read about visual acuity and discovered or rediscovered that acuity of the human eye (20/20 vision) is about 0.78 arcminutes.

Then I read that based on where most people sit to watch a screen the difference between HD and 8k is nearly indiscernible.

The author speculated that color saturation or balance may have more to do with the picture appearing "better" than the resolution of the pixels.

(I am paraphrasing and don't pretend to be an expert on this topic.)

Posts: 8000 | Location: East Central FL | Registered: January 05, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
They're after my Lucky Charms!
Picture of IrishWind
posted Hide Post
I heard that the better resolutions tie in with the ever increasing size in TVs and computer monitors. If you have a 15" laptop, you you can see the different past 1080p, you have some good eyes. But put it on a big monitor, and expect to see differences. At least one streaming service I get a black box around the 'full screen/HD' setting. I wasn't expecting it to be side to side on a 3440x1440 resolution screen, but it would be nice to cover top to bottom.

Lord, your ocean is so very large and my divos are so very f****d-up
Dirt Sailors Unite!

Posts: 25075 | Location: NoVa | Registered: May 06, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post