SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  What's Your Deal!    Youth of America are awful employees (some of them at least)
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Youth of America are awful employees (some of them at least) Login/Join 
The success of a solution usually depends upon your point of view
posted Hide Post
The last time I used the drive thru at our DD to pick up some K-cups, there was a tip jar on the window ledge.

“We truly live in a wondrous age of stupid.” - 83v45magna

"I think it's important that people understand free speech doesn't mean free from consequences societally or politically or culturally."
-Pranjit Kalita, founder and CIO of Birkoa Capital Management

Posts: 3908 | Location: Jacksonville, FL | Registered: September 10, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
My wife just received a very nice email from the manager. Said all the right things, offered a free drink. I was surprised, I told my wife we would hear nothing, I was wrong. I think this guy has an uphill battle on his hands but if he’s trying then good on him.

I forgot something that his response reminded me of. I ordered a regular coffee too. They had let it run dry. Manager said they are never to let it go dry, which makes sense. They started brewing an entire urn of coffee from scratch. Grinding the beans, throw out the filter, the whole nine yards. Never said a word to me. Not a simple, sorry it will be a couple minutes. I thought they would pull a cup as the huge urn started filling alas no. So finally I got one of their attentions and just asked for the decaf. She then said we are brewing it. I said, no you are brewing the regular, you have decaf right there I’m looking at it. She grunted then handed the cup to a different worker who filled it. No, I stand by my thread title.

Posts: 7540 | Location: Florida | Registered: June 18, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Perhaps some of the youngin’s could lay off the pot. I too have seen the blank gaze and dull expression of stupor in lots of them. Just plod along like they have no purpose or place to be. Real firecrackers.

“That’s what.” - She

Posts: 400 | Location: Kentucky | Registered: June 06, 2021Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I’m telling you, the guy throughout the event had the emotional range of a houseplant. Pot, ADHD meds, stupidity, whatever it was I’m surprised he got hired anywhere. His interview must have been epic.

Posts: 7540 | Location: Florida | Registered: June 18, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
quarter MOA visionary
Picture of smschulz
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by konata88:
Sorry. With all due respect, I'm going to stick with my position; mgmt can try to fix this but it's not mgmt's fault the kid is like this. Nor is it mgmt's responsibility to teach a kid basic social behavior. That's the duty of the village. But we can disagree.

Nothing to disagree about > you are plain wrong .

Let me explain:
It is the companies (management) responsibility to control the behavior in the the best interest of the company.

The whole notion of "it takes a village" is pure bullshit.

Additionally, who's fault is irrelevant.

What is important that the company controls and makes corrections to further their business.
Of course, it could all be alleviated in the hiring process, followed by the training process and implemented in the management process.

Anything else is just ignorance of business and generally paid for by suffering financially.

Posts: 23257 | Location: Houston, TX | Registered: June 11, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I'd rather be hated for who I am than loved for who I am not
posted Hide Post
Don't worry... Dining rooms will soon be a thing of the past. You go through a drive through and eat it in your car. No dipshit, no mop, no problem lol.

They close the dining rooms here at the drop of a hat. ie whenever staff call out. wich is all of the time!!

Posts: 7884 | Location: Bismarck ND | Registered: February 19, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I agree. Even with the free drink I am done with Dunkin'. I don't think an elite team of management could fix that crew. I applaud smshulz's confidence but I think he is in fact the one that is wrong. The worlds best potter can't work with shitty clay. Was that poetic? I was going for poetic.

Eye on the
Silver Lining
posted Hide Post
As someone who’s been trying to hire competent help for the last year, I feel for the manager. Doesn’t even matter how much you pay anymore, kids just don’t want to work, and don’t have some of the basic skills required to operate in polite company. It’s wild.

I’ve been hiring people for over a decade, and this last year is BY FAR the worst group of applicants I’ve ever seen. And I’ve put out 3 ads over the last year, so it’s not just 1 random sample. I’ve probably had over 100 applications for our small business. Very few qualified for the job, fewer showed up for the confirmed interviews, and even when hired flaked out within 6 months, because things just weren’t going their way (didn’t get the vaca they wanted, weren’t given an expense account to play with, didn’t change things the way they wanted them vs the way the owner wanted, we didn’t hire their friends, I could go on).. had to start letting people go when they decided they didn’t have to come in on days they didn’t feel like it.
They don’t care. They don’t want to work. They want vacations at the drop of a hat. They aren’t courteous or deferential to customers, no social grace..I could go on. That being said, we’ve been fortunate to retain a core group that does seem to understand the work ethic we employ.

We pay higher than the national avg for the position, and offer the usual benefits.

It’s impressive the DD manager called and tried to make amends, imho. Sounds like they have their hands full.
It’s just really hard to find good people, esp if they don’t perceive DD to be a prestigious job.. Shit, our usps is falling apart with the mail service. The bus drivers for our local schools didn’t bother to drop elementary kids at their stops the first day of school and then failed to inform their parents where the fuck they were! It’s just nuts around here.

"Trust, but verify."

Posts: 5514 | Registered: October 24, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
אַרְיֵה
Picture of V-Tail
posted Hide Post

הרחפת שלי מלאה בצלופחים

Posts: 31490 | Location: Central Florida, Orlando area | Registered: January 03, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by PASig:

She said several Gen Z type workers completely ignored her as she stood at the counter and tried to order, then one finally came up to the register and REFUSED to take her order, told her she needed to go order at the kiosk which of course also had a line.

She walked out
I walked in a McDonalds one morning. First time I ever saw the kiosk thing . Fuck that , I got in the truck and went through the outside line .

Posts: 4294 | Location: Down in Louisiana . | Registered: February 27, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
אַרְיֵה
Picture of V-Tail
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by selogic:

I walked in a McDonalds one morning. First time I ever saw the kiosk thing . Fuck that , I got in the truck and went through the outside line .
Kiosk thingy doesn't mumble. I don't have to ask it to repeat the question that I didn't understand (because hearing aids), so it's not all bad.

Better option for me is to order (and pay) with the McDonald's app; go through the drive-lane, hold the phone up so the cashier can see the order number, and Bob's your uncle. Lot of 30% off, or BOGO deals when using the app, and minimum interaction with the yoofs.

הרחפת שלי מלאה בצלופחים

Posts: 31490 | Location: Central Florida, Orlando area | Registered: January 03, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Casuistic Thinker and Daoist
Picture of 9mmepiphany
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by V-Tail:
quote:
Originally posted by selogic:

Kiosk thingy doesn't mumble. I don't have to ask it to repeat the question that I didn't understand (because hearing aids), so it's not all bad.

Better option for me is to order (and pay) with the McDonald's app; go through the drive-lane, hold the phone up so the cashier can see the order number, and Bob's your uncle. Lot of 30% off, or BOGO deals when using the app, and minimum interaction with the yoofs.

Yup, both major pluses in my book. Getting mumbled at when you have hearing aids isn't very high on my list to things to do on any day.

I'm not usually a big "App" person, but if you're going to frequent a McDs, there is no rational reason not to use it

No, Daoism isn't a religion

Posts: 14255 | Location: northern california | Registered: February 07, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Get my pies
outta the oven!

Picture of PASig
posted Hide Post
We had a snowstorm Saturday night into Sunday here and my kiddos were very excited as we didn't get any snow last year which is strange, we usually have several pretty big snows and a couple smaller ones in a winter season.

I was telling the wife how when I was a young kid in the 80's that I COULD NOT WAIT for it to snow, not for the sledding or the snowballs and snowmen, no I got my shovel and walked around the neighborhood and shoveled sidewalks for 5 bucks a pop or so. I'd come home in the afternoon with 40-50 dollars most times.

Now you just don't see that anymore at all. Frown

What's really sad is the woman across the street from us was out shoveling her sidewalk at 9 am Sunday, she's in her 60's I'd guess. She's got two grown-ass sons in their mid-20's to maybe early 30's that live with her and not a one of them could be bothered to come out and shovel, no they had their 60+ year old mother they live with doing that. Roll Eyes

Posts: 34728 | Location: Pennsylvania | Registered: November 12, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Do the next
right thing
Picture of bobtheelf
posted Hide Post
Management should try to fix it, but lack of management is not the reason someone would think it's OK to mop over someone else's feet.

Posts: 3679 | Location: Nashville | Registered: July 23, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Eye on the
Silver Lining
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by bobtheelf:
Management should try to fix it, but lack of management is not the reason someone would think it's OK to mop over someone else's feet.

Yeah, that’s just lack of common decency. Somebody should’ve bitchslapped that kid, but I’m guessing everyone was just too shocked by it.

"Trust, but verify."

Posts: 5514 | Registered: October 24, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Invest Early, Invest Often
Picture of TomV
posted Hide Post
Made a rare trip to a fast food joint over the weekend. 2 different employees mumbled at me to order at the Kiosk, I told them both I couldn't find where to put my cash into it.

Three something dollar order and I didn't want to use a credit card. A third employee finally took my order at the counter.

Posts: 1378 | Location: Escaped California...Now In Sunny, Southern Utah | Registered: February 15, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I saw a rant from some guy, probably his first job, whining about being fired after 5 days. "why would they fire me when they need help and went through the hiring process and training"
Well kid, the fact that you can't figure that out is probably the reason.

“Let us dare to read, think, speak and write.”

John Adams

Posts: 332 | Location: Land of 10000 Taxes | Registered: March 19, 2022Reply With QuoteReport This Post
quarter MOA visionary
Picture of smschulz
posted Hide Post
quote:
Well kid, the fact that you can't figure that out is probably the reason.

Maybe, maybe not.
If he was sooooo bad, then why hire in the first place?
On the other hand, maybe there were other factors (not specified) in the decision.
I realize there are a lot of us that just want to bash the youth for their ineptness and much of it is deserved but in reality it is is those who raised them, trained them along with the societal decline that has some part in the problem. Frown

Posts: 23257 | Location: Houston, TX | Registered: June 11, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post