SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  What's Your Deal!    Plasma donation debit card hacked......was going to buy hunting rifle
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Plasma donation debit card hacked......was going to buy hunting rifle Login/Join 
אַרְיֵה
Picture of V-Tail
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by sigfreund:

what’s the reason to prefer the DC over the CC?
Some banks / credit unions offer incentives to use a debit card.

A credit union where I have accounts offers both credit cards and debit cards. If you use the debit card for at least eight transactions during a calendar month, you get a higher interest rate on your checking account. This will result in a significantly higher yield on funds kept in checking, than the rate that their savings and money market offer.

הרחפת שלי מלאה בצלופחים

Posts: 30644 | Location: Central Florida, Orlando area | Registered: January 03, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Freethinker
Picture of sigfreund
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by V-Tail:
Some banks / credit unions offer incentives to use a debit card.

Why would that be, do you know?

I have never had a debit card and it should be obvious from my question that I don’t understand all the differences between them and credit cards. Based on what I do know, however, why wouldn’t issuers prefer that people have credit cards in the hopes that they would run up debt and then have to pay high interest rates? It seems even from the discussion here that having a CC is a great temptation for some people to do that. I haven’t paid a cent in CC interest in years, but there are plenty of users of the cards who do.

6.4/93.6

“Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something.”
— Plato

Posts: 47397 | Location: 10,150 Feet Above Sea Level in Colorado | Registered: April 04, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
safe & sound
Picture of a1abdj
posted Hide Post
quote:
Why would that be, do you know?

They want to encourage the use of debit cards over checks. Checks cost the bank money to process. Debit cards make the bank money as they charge merchant fees.

I suspect they have also run the statistics to determine that you're more likely to overdraft your account when using a card.

www.zykansafe.com

Posts: 15712 | Location: St. Charles, MO, USA | Registered: September 22, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Freethinker
Picture of sigfreund
posted Hide Post
Okay, thanks.
I thought I was the only person left who regularly used checks to pay for things. I assumed that knowing how to write a check was becoming some of that lost knowledge like changing a car tire or being able to read cursive.

6.4/93.6

“Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something.”
— Plato

Posts: 47397 | Location: 10,150 Feet Above Sea Level in Colorado | Registered: April 04, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of ibexsig
posted Hide Post
Alas, this fraud done to me was mostly my fault and I take the blame. I don't usually check my transactions but just my running balance. Somebody way back before Christmas was trying to charge my card for airline tickets and such. The transactions were declined but each one costs me .75(did not know they did that). This started in Singapore and then the number was given to somebody in Florida who must figured out how to use it and they racked up most of the charges.

Although it is a hassle, from now on I will retrieve my balance from an ATM on a weekly basis so as to not amass such a big positive balance.

I don't own a smart phone so I can't do the app to watch my transactions.

Posts: 316 | Location: NE Wisconsin | Registered: January 26, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
quarter MOA visionary
Picture of smschulz
posted Hide Post
I don't why anyone uses a debit card.
Something happens you are at the mercy of the bank to make it right.
Credit cards the banks go out of their way to clear up things to maintain their reputation.
Plus you can always say FU if things end up sideways.
Better off with cash in your pocket, wallet or mattress over a debit card.

Posts: 22898 | Location: Houston, TX | Registered: June 11, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
His Royal Hiney
Picture of Rey HRH
posted Hide Post
The times I use my debit card is to get money from an ATM (now I don't need the card as I use my smart phone with the debit card in my wallet app. But I still need the debit card when I"m at an Arco gas station because they don't take credit cards. They're still the lowest price even with the $0.35 transaction card. The last place I need the debit card is to get to my safety deposit box. I have to show the guy before he goes with me to open the safety box.

"It did not really matter what we expected from life, but rather what life expected from us. We needed to stop asking about the meaning of life, and instead to think of ourselves as those who were being questioned by life – daily and hourly. Our answer must consist not in talk and meditation, but in right action and in right conduct. Life ultimately means taking the responsibility to find the right answer to its problems and to fulfill the tasks which it constantly sets for each individual." Viktor Frankl, Man's Search for Meaning, 1946.

Posts: 19645 | Location: The Free State of Arizona - Ditat Deus | Registered: March 24, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of ibexsig
posted Hide Post
Update......only took a few days and the debit card company refunded all my money. I was expecting a 90 day wait but it seems like it was shorter. I checked my balance and the money is now all there.

Now, I just need to decide if that new Browning Medallion .270 with a Nikon prostaff scope is what I want...........

Posts: 316 | Location: NE Wisconsin | Registered: January 26, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of SR
posted Hide Post
That's great news!

Speak softly and carry a big stick loaded Sig

Posts: 4887 | Location: Raleigh, North Carolina | Registered: September 27, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post