SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  What's Your Deal!    Magazines are age-restricted now? "Carded" at Academy to buy one.
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Magazines are age-restricted now? "Carded" at Academy to buy one. Login/Join 
His diet consists of black
coffee, and sarcasm.
Picture of egregore
posted
Roll Eyes I said in a slightly annoyed tone to the cashier, "For a magazine?" He said the prompt came up on the computer. I didn't say anything further. Not a battle worth fighting. And if it were me working there, I'd comply with store policy. But I've bought a dozen rifle and pistol mags from there over the last couple of years and this never came up before.

Posts: 27834 | Location: Johnson City/Elizabethton, TN | Registered: April 28, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I wonder if it's to check for purchasers from 'ban' states, Would they go that far and refuse the sale?
What if you are buying as a gift for someone within the state the store is in. Murky waters indeed.

Were magazines of certain capacity age restricted in that area recently?

Tony

Posts: 306 | Registered: December 18, 2016Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of P250UA5
posted Hide Post
I bought a couple Magpul AR mags a few weeks ago & some 5.56 ammo. Clerk didn't blink an eye.

The Enemy's gate is down.

Posts: 15150 | Location: Spring, TX | Registered: July 11, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Leatherneck
posted Hide Post
It’s probably store policy. I remember back in the 90’s Kmart or WalMart asking if the ammo I was buying was for a pistol or a rifle. They’d sell ammo for a rifle to anyone 18+, but if you said pistol you had to be 21+. Didn’t matter what ammo it was, they just wanted to know what you were going to shoot it in.

No such restrictions were state restrictions. It was just the store.

“Everybody wants a Sig in the sheets but a Glock on the streets.” -bionic218 04-02-2014

Posts: 15249 | Location: Florida | Registered: May 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
drop and give me
20 pushups
posted Hide Post
Store policy does not override my rights... but just another way to aid the government in "tracking" for the "gunowners list"....Have been known to stop the sale and walk out if the clerk is asking too many question that i believe she does not have a need or right to know . . drill sgt.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: drill sgt,

Posts: 1951 | Location: denham springs , la | Registered: October 19, 2019Reply With QuoteReport This Post
His diet consists of black
coffee, and sarcasm.
Picture of egregore
posted Hide Post
quote:
I wonder if it's to check for purchasers from 'ban' states …

Well, I assumed it was an age thing. Maybe not. But none of the neighboring states have bans, and with the exception of Illinois which has a hodgepodge of restrictions by city/county, none of the states Academy does business in have bans either. And this is as "red" and pro-gun an area as you can get. So hell if I know.

Posts: 27834 | Location: Johnson City/Elizabethton, TN | Registered: April 28, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I Deal In Lead
Picture of Flash-LB
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by drill sgt:
Store policy does not override my rights... but just another way to aid the government in "tracking" for the "gunowners list"....

Actually, it does to a degree when on private property. They can require any number of things that overrides your rights, like posting the place "no weapons" or whatever.

Either you comply or you leave. If you comply you have voluntarily surrendered your rights.

Posts: 10626 | Location: Gilbert Arizona | Registered: March 21, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
probably a good thing
I don't have a cut
posted Hide Post
I'm wondering if it is a training issue. Technically, some stores have an age requirement pop up on the register when buying lottery tickets. It's not alcohol or tobacco so the requirement isn't a legal one but a corporate policy one and the cashier can make the call whether you are old enough. Next time have the manager come over and do the transaction and if they still require an ID from you, complain to corporate. Be the Karen in this instance.

Posts: 3369 | Location: Tampa, FL | Registered: February 09, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Make sure to check your finger gun at the door.

The butcher with the sharpest knife has the warmest heart.

Posts: 13386 | Location: Bottom of Lake Washington | Registered: March 06, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
quarter MOA visionary
Picture of smschulz
posted Hide Post
It's just stupid virtue signaling to do this on magazines.
On another note - there is an age that makes you {sigh} when you are not carded anymore. Frown

Posts: 22857 | Location: Houston, TX | Registered: June 11, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Tonydec:
I wonder if it's to check for purchasers from 'ban' states, Would they go that far and refuse the sale?
What if you are buying as a gift for someone within the state the store is in. Murky waters indeed.

Were magazines of certain capacity age restricted in that area recently?

Is it against the rules for the store to sell someone from a ban state a magazine locally in a state that isn't a ban state? I suppose it could get murky for the store if the person comes in and says "I gotta get my mags because I'm headed to California tonight and I can't get them there." But besides someone clearly stating they are going to do something illegal is there anything wrong with the store selling them a mag? You could live in the free state and haven't changed your ID, you could live there AND here and plan on leaving it here, it could be a gift for someone that lives here, it could be for a gun you leave here with your family for when you're on vacation visiting them... Whatever the reason is it seems like it would be legal for you to own and possess a legal magazine here no matter what state/city you are from.

Posts: 1298 | Location: Arizona | Registered: January 31, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I Deal In Lead
Picture of Flash-LB
posted Hide Post
It's not illegal to sell a standard capacity mag to someone from a prohibited state, it's just illegal to take it there or send it there.

So if you're FTF with them in a free state, sell away.

We encounter this at every gun show we have here as we get a lot of Californians that come to the shows, judging from the license plates in the parking lot.

Posts: 10626 | Location: Gilbert Arizona | Registered: March 21, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Alea iacta est
Picture of Beancooker
posted Hide Post
Mind you, I’m only a few sips of coffee into the morning, and Sunday night I had to pull an all nighter (guard duty at work, long story for a different time), but I seriously thought you guys were talking about issues of Guns and Ammo, or Gun Digest.

quote:
Originally posted by parabellum: You must have your pants custom tailored to fit your massive balls.
The “lol” thread

Posts: 4023 | Location: Staring down at you with disdain, from the spooky mountaintop castle.  | Registered: November 20, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of erj_pilot
posted Hide Post
^^^^^^^
Beancooker....thank GOD someone said it first. Until just now, I seriously thought the same exact thing.

LMAO!!!! Big Grin Big Grin

"If you’re a leader, you lead the way. Not just on the easy ones; you take the tough ones too…” – MAJ Richard D. Winters (1918-2011), E Company, 2nd Battalion, 506th Parachute Infantry Regiment, 101st Airborne

"Woe to those who call evil good, and good evil... Therefore, as tongues of fire lick up straw and as dry grass sinks down in the flames, so their roots will decay and their flowers blow away like dust; for they have rejected the law of the Lord Almighty and spurned the word of the Holy One of Israel." - Isaiah 5:20,24

Posts: 11052 | Location: NW Houston | Registered: April 04, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
אַרְיֵה
Picture of V-Tail
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Beancooker:

I seriously thought you guys were talking about issues of Guns and Ammo, or Gun Digest.
No ID needed for those; only for Penthouse, etc.

הרחפת שלי מלאה בצלופחים

Posts: 30544 | Location: Central Florida, Orlando area | Registered: January 03, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
"Member"
Picture of cas
posted Hide Post
Racism! Go all Karen and get the manager, let him know you're taking their racism to social media!

I mentioned this elsewhere after NY raised the age limit for buying whipped cream in a can to 21. How will this be enforced? By asking for ID's, which the left keeps telling us is racist. If it's so racist, why do you keep passing more and more laws requiring this racist practice? If asking for ID to vote is racist, why is it okay when buying whipped cream, or alcohol, or firearm, or a magazine?

We need to choke them to death with their own bullshit. MAYBE... maybe, with it we can get some voting laws reform. Or at least whipped cream reform. Wink

Posts: 21052 | Location: 18th & Fairfax  | Registered: May 17, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post