SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  What's Your Deal!    Sometimes a question is just a question.
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Sometimes a question is just a question. Login/Join 
Freethinker
Picture of sigfreund
posted
It isn’t always a challenge or a criticism, not even on the Internet.
Sometimes it’s just what it seems: a request for clarification, further information, or some other benign reason.
That may be rare in this day and age, but sometimes it’s true.

6.4/93.6

“Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something.”
— Plato

Posts: 47365 | Location: 10,150 Feet Above Sea Level in Colorado | Registered: April 04, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Three Generations
of Service
Picture of PHPaul
posted Hide Post
An excellent point, sir.

Some of you may remember several years ago I drove a dump truck for a local contractor.

Very briefly.

One reason for that was his attitude. I'd ask a question for just the reason you described: I wanted to learn more about the process.

Invariably, he'd take it as I was questioning his abilities or approach to a situation like I thought I knew better and he'd get all pissy with me. "Just shut up and do what I told you."

I tried to explain my reasons and he didn't want to hear it.

I don't react well to that sort of treatment. We were both glad when he was able to hire a "real" truck driver and I moved on.

Be careful when following the masses. Sometimes the M is silent.

Posts: 15181 | Location: Downeast Maine | Registered: March 10, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
This Space for Rent
Picture of ugeesta
posted Hide Post
Exactly.

A pet peeve my wife does is always asks me 'why' after I ask a question. Drives me crazy.....

We will never know world peace, until three people can simultaneously look each other straight in the eye

Liberals are like pussycats and Twitter is Trump's laser pointer to keep them busy while he takes care of business - Rey HRH.

Posts: 5746 | Location: Colorado | Registered: April 20, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
No, not like
Bill Clinton
Picture of BigSwede
posted Hide Post
Yessir

Instead of answering the question they look for ulterior motives for my question

Dislike

Posts: 5302 | Location: GA | Registered: September 23, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Three Generations
of Service
Picture of PHPaul
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ugeesta:
Exactly.

A pet peeve my wife does is always asks me 'why' after I ask a question. Drives me crazy.....

This too. My wife and especially my grandchildren will ask me a question and then tell me my answer is wrong.

If you knew so damned much about it, why did you ask?

EDIT: Blowing smoke has never been an option for me. If I don't know the answer, I'll say so. If I'm not sure about my answer, I will qualify it with "Well, I suspect that..." or "Just guessing here, but"

Be careful when following the masses. Sometimes the M is silent.

Posts: 15181 | Location: Downeast Maine | Registered: March 10, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Drill Here, Drill Now
Picture of tatortodd
posted Hide Post
Fair point. However, it is a 2-way street as the person asking the question bears responsibility in asking a thoughtful question. Non-thoughtful questions:
  • Some people seem to have a mantra that if they have been provided information that they're required to ask a question about the information. Seriously, if you were given complete information in an easy to understand manner it's OK to just say "thank you" instead of thinking outloud and stammering while you dream up a question.
  • If you're thinking of your next question instead of listening to the person you're supposedly talking to.
  • Endless questions like you're 2 years old trying to figure out the world.
  • Asking the same question repeatedly (e.g. every week) should be the exception not the norm.

My bias is coming from being a subject matter expert at a global corporation. When it comes to questions, some people have very poor habits.

Ego is the anesthesia that deadens the pain of stupidity

DISCLAIMER: These are the author's own personal views and do not represent the views of the author's employer.
  •  
    Posts: 23100 | Location: Northern Suburbs of Houston | Registered: November 14, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
    Picture of Krazeehorse
    posted Hide Post
    One more here in the column of guys with wives that turn your question into you criticizing them. AAAAAAUUUUGGHHHH!!

Be careful what you tolerate. You are teaching people how to treat you.

Posts: 5681 | Location: Ohio | Registered: December 27, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
    quarter MOA visionary
    Picture of smschulz
    posted Hide Post
    quote:
    Originally posted by PHPaul:
    quote:
    Originally posted by ugeesta:
    Exactly.

This too. My wife and especially my grandchildren will ask me a question and then tell me my answer is wrong.

If you knew so damned much about it, why did you ask?

Maybe she is related to my wife - same problem. Frown

Always asking "why" and she could not care less about the answer. Confused

Posts: 22858 | Location: Houston, TX | Registered: June 11, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
    Lost
    Picture of kkina
    posted Hide Post
    Been saying this for years. Just glad someone else feels this way.

ACCU-STRUT FOR MINI-14
    "First, Eyes."

Posts: 16266 | Location: SF Bay Area | Registered: December 11, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
    Picture of Blume9mm
    posted Hide Post
    I'm trying to figure out Sigfreund's real motive for this thread.....

Razz

My Native American Name:
    "Runs with Scissors"

Posts: 4441 | Location: Greenville, SC | Registered: January 30, 2017Reply With QuoteReport This Post
    Freethinker
    Picture of sigfreund
    posted Hide Post
    quote:
    Originally posted by Blume9mm:
    I'm trying to figure out Sigfreund's real motive for this thread.....

Big Grin

In addition to a not too-serious complaint when other people do it here, it sort of serves as a reminder to myself. I say “not too-serious” because I fully realize that it’s very easy to misinterpret short Internet posts and what their posters’ intents are. I therefore understand how a cascade of misunderstanding can occur.

As for the personal reminder, if I were applying for a job and had to answer the, “What’s your greatest weakness?” question, I’d probably say that I am very sensitive to unjustified criticism. And that means I can easily interpret a question or any sort of pushback about something I’ve said as a challenge or criticism. So the motive for the thread isn’t just to point out others’ faults. Smile

6.4/93.6

“Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something.”
    — Plato

Posts: 47365 | Location: 10,150 Feet Above Sea Level in Colorado | Registered: April 04, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
    posted Hide Post
    i used to work with a guy that would ask you a question and then argue with you about your answer .He wasn't a dick , just a very analytical person .Still , it could be frustrating .

Posts: 3970 | Location: Down in Louisiana . | Registered: February 27, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
    The Main Thing Is
    Not To Get Excited
    Picture of wishfull thinker
    posted Hide Post
    And there is the question that is not really a question but supposedly a trump card in a conversation, such as:

innocent me: I like the first snow of the season.

questioner: Are you saying that you like it when people die because the power goes out?

Posts: 6354 | Location: Washington | Registered: November 06, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
    Equal Opportunity Mocker
    Picture of slabsides45
    posted Hide Post
    You talkin' to me? Eh?

"You cannot legislate the poor into freedom by legislating the wealthy out of freedom. What one person receives without working for, another person must work for without receiving."
    -Dr. Adrian Rogers

Posts: 6389 | Location: Mogadishu on the Mississippi | Registered: February 26, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post