SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  What's Your Deal!    When did wearing military qualification badges on your lapel become a thing?
Page 1 2 3 4 5 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

When did wearing military qualification badges on your lapel become a thing? Login/Join 
Picture of 4MUL8R
posted Hide Post
Looking at his ribbon rack, I was able to find these:

A ? means I did not find it.

A / is a dividing symbol

Jump wings
Helicopter wings (Air Assault)
?
Defense Meritorious Service / ?
? / ?
? / ? / Nation Defense Service with star
Southwest Asia Service x 3 / ? / Global War On Terrorism x 2
? / ? / Afghanistan Campaign x 2
? / Kuwait Liberation Saudi Arabia / Kuwait Liberation

My ID effort is likely to have errors.

-------
Trying to simplify my life...

Posts: 5041 | Location: Commonwealth of Virginia | Registered: January 15, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I Am The Walrus
posted Hide Post
I think Gustofer did more than the COL.

Posts: 13047 | Registered: March 12, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
A Grateful American
Picture of sigmonkey
posted Hide Post
Lapel Pins
Army Military Intelligence Compass Rose

On right breast

?

Army Valorous Unit Award

(name tag)

2nd Armoured Cavalry Regiment

On left
Parachutist
Air Assault
Legion of Merit Medal Ribbon

Defense Meritorious Service Medal Ribbon

Meritorious Service Medal Ribbon
Bronze Oak Leaf Cluster

Joint Service Commendation Medal Ribbon

Army Commendation Medal Ribbon
Double Bronze Oak Leaf Cluster

Joint Service Achievement Medal Ribbon

Army Achievement Medal Ribbon
Bronze Oak Leaf Cluster

National Defense Service Medal Ribbon
Bronze Star Device

Southwest Asia Service Medal Ribbon
Triple Bronze Star Device

Afghanistan Campaign Ribbon
Double Bronze Star Device

Global War on Terrorism Service Medal Ribbon

Outstanding Volunteer Service Medal Ribbon

Army Service Ribbon

Army Overseas Service Ribbon
Bronze 3 awards

NATO Non-Article 5 Medal Medal Ribbon

Saudi Arabian Medal Ribbon for the Liberation of Kuwait

Kuwait Liberation of Kuwait Medal Ribbon

"the meaning of life, is to give life meaning" Ani Yehudi אני יהודי Le'olam lo shuv לעולם לא שוב!

Posts: 43810 | Location: ...... I am thrice divorced, and I live in a van DOWN BY THE RIVER!!! (in Arkansas) | Registered: December 20, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Who cares if Gustofer did more? Is it a contest. I don’t see the colonel coming on here bitching about gustofer. It’s the other way around. Gustofer is bitching about this guy. Why? Cause the lapel pin hurts his eyes? Would you rather have Shapiro win the PA governor race?

Just stop. This guy isn’t doing anything, anything wrong. And you guys sound like assholes for disparaging his service in intel (or whatever he was) as “not enough” or “less than”. Fuck, that is a stupid position to take. On every level.

Posts: 7347 | Location: Florida | Registered: June 18, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Sigforum K9 handler
Picture of jljones
posted Hide Post
Meh.

In fairness, which is worse? Him being worried about it, or others worried about him being worried about it?

What else would we be talking about if it wasn’t for silly things like this?

www.opspectraining.com

"It's a bold strategy, Cotton. Let's see if it works out for them"

Posts: 37084 | Location: Logical | Registered: September 12, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Get my pies
outta the oven!

Picture of PASig
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by sigmonkey:
Lapel Pins
Army Military Intelligence Compass Rose

On right breast

?

Army Valorous Unit Award

(name tag)

2nd Armoured Cavalry Regiment

The “?” is the US Army Military Intelligence Regimental Corps Crest. Every branch of the Army has one: Infantry/Artillery/MI/Military Police/Quartermaster/Etc

I wore the Quartermaster Corps (Logistics) crest:

Posts: 33608 | Location: Pennsylvania | Registered: November 12, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
A Grateful American
Picture of sigmonkey
posted Hide Post
Thanks. Smile
(I'm a Zoomie...)

Most of my time around Army was with some other guys.

"the meaning of life, is to give life meaning" Ani Yehudi אני יהודי Le'olam lo shuv לעולם לא שוב!

Posts: 43810 | Location: ...... I am thrice divorced, and I live in a van DOWN BY THE RIVER!!! (in Arkansas) | Registered: December 20, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I Am The Walrus
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by jljones:

You know, guy stuff like cars, cigars, liquor, guns. Big Grin

Posts: 13047 | Registered: March 12, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Edmond:
quote:
Originally posted by jljones:

You know, guy stuff like cars, cigars, liquor, guns. Big Grin

Edmond, I think you won the internet for this week! Wink

“What the government is good at is collecting taxes, taking away your freedoms and killing people. It’s not good at much else.” —Author Tom Clancy

Posts: 8322 | Location: Attempting to keep the noise down around Midway Airport | Registered: February 14, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
On the rare occasion I wear my suit, I often have my combat medical badge ( miniature version) on my lapel.
No issue with others doing the same.

Posts: 3268 | Location: Finally free in AZ! | Registered: February 14, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I Deal In Lead
Picture of Flash-LB
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by sigfreund:
As has been pointed out many times, all military veterans gave the nation a blank check that was payable up to and including their lives. Even though I am part of that group and therefore may be biased, I find it incomprehensible that anyone—himself a veteran or not—would object to how anyone else would choose to remember and remind others of that offer.

My sentiments exactly. I don't have veteran plates and I don't wear a Vietnam Vet hat, I do wear a Hat that says U.S. Army every Thursday from 8AM to Noon. That's my sole thing.

Posts: 10626 | Location: Gilbert Arizona | Registered: March 21, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Staring back
from the abyss
Picture of Gustofer
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by CPD SIG:
What I think the OP is getting at is the "trivial" one being brandished like it's the CMH.

This is what I was, inarticulately, trying to get at.

I was not, and will not ever, disparage someone's service, nor their accomplishments whilst in uniform.

To me, as someone who wears no jewelry or other accoutrements as I've always found them just...uncomfortable and in the way, I find that the wearing of such items is akin to placing a box on a street corner, climbing up, and yelling, "Look at me!". It's not my style, and when I observe someone doing it I tend to roll my eyes and continue walking.

However, if someone has done something truly worthy of, not so much praise, but recognition, then I think it is fine and even admirable. CMH, CMB, CIB, Silver Star, etc.... Yeah, worthy of recognition in my book and someone that I'll give a second look to or stop and listen to what they have to say. Someone wearing an Expert Marksman badge, National Defense Ribbon, or yes...Air Assault wings, makes me think, "So you served. Good for you. So have a few million others more worthy of my time who don't walk around advertising that they did".

In Mastriano's case, I wouldn't vote for him just because he was an Army officer for thirty years, so advertising that he did that does nothing for me. Good for you, you held a job for thirty years. So have a lot of people (both in uniform and out). Now tell me the important things like what you are going to do as Governor.

Perhaps it's just me, as a fella who typically is one who prefers to simply fly under the radar and live my life. Nobody needs to know that I did a hitch in the Army, and if you want to know, just ask. But then, I'm not running for political office. Far too many skeletons for that.

Posts: 19975 | Location: Montana | Registered: November 01, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
In Mastriano's case, I wouldn't vote for him just because he was an Army officer for thirty years, so advertising that he did that does nothing for me. Good for you, you held a job for thirty years. So have a lot of people (both in uniform and out). Now tell me the important things like what you are going to do as Governor.

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
Guy in uniform running for office always reminds me of Idi Amin. I think it is rather cheesy.

Posts: 17177 | Location: Stuck at home | Registered: January 02, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
אַרְיֵה
Picture of V-Tail
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ZSMICHAEL:

Guy in uniform running for office always reminds me of Idi Amin. I think it is rather cheesy.
I believe that the Original Post refers to the candidate having a small military badge on his lapel, wearing a civilian suit.

הרחפת שלי מלאה בצלופחים

Posts: 30545 | Location: Central Florida, Orlando area | Registered: January 03, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I wear my mini Purple Heart in federal court. I think I have earned the right.

18Z50

Posts: 363 | Location: North Coast | Registered: October 31, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
A Grateful American
Picture of sigmonkey
posted Hide Post
Maybe I am just getting olde and tyred.

But, appearances, what folks wear, put on their bumpers and what kind of cat their dog is, simply does not matter to me any more.

Women being dicks, men being cunts, and people being assholes, that still matters. All the external crap, not so much.

I am not even in the place to challenge if someone "earned some shit or not", because, it is not my job to police it.

If they "fraudin'" then it's between them and the Universe, not me.

I know what I have done, and that's between me and those I done it with and, said, universe.

And in the end, I am too busy mindin' my own biddniz to give any shits about yours or anyone else's.

As you were.

posted Hide Post
Hard to argue with that line of thinking. Probably live longer too.

Posts: 7347 | Location: Florida | Registered: June 18, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I have a mini Security Police badge on one of my hats. Unit patches on a couple of jackets. Thats it.

End of Earth: 2 Miles
Upper Peninsula: 4 Miles

Posts: 16005 | Location: Marquette MI | Registered: July 08, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Spread the Disease
Picture of flesheatingvirus
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by sigmonkey:
Maybe I am just getting olde and tyred.

But, appearances, what folks wear, put on their bumpers and what kind of cat their dog is, simply does not matter to me any more.

Women being dicks, men being cunts, and people being assholes, that still matters. All the external crap, not so much.

I am not even in the place to challenge if someone "earned some shit or not", because, it is not my job to police it.

If they "fraudin'" then it's between them and the Universe, not me.

I know what I have done, and that's between me and those I done it with and, said, universe.

And in the end, I am too busy mindin' my own biddniz to give any shits about yours or anyone else's.

As you were.

Holy shit, thank you!

I’ve felt like this for years, and I’m only 38.

-- Fear is the mind-killer. Fear is the little-death that brings total obliteration. I will face my fear. I will permit it to pass over me and through me. And when it has gone past me I will turn the inner eye to see its path. Where the fear has gone there will be nothing. Only I will remain. --

Posts: 17248 | Location: New Mexico | Registered: October 14, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of schrack
posted Hide Post
My feelings, I gave 40yrs of my life in the Air Force!
I do not wear any of my stuff!
Notice alot of people wear more pins, hats and emblems of their accomplishments.
Don't for get the hats and vests with a variety of pins, ranks and what nots.
I served my time for Me and do not want to share it with the world.Done alot, been all over the world for Me.
I Covet the SAC Emblem and am Honored for Serving in SAC.
Its no ones business what I Did.

Posts: 2488 | Location: Delawhere??????????????? | Registered: June 19, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post