SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  What's Your Deal!    When did wearing military qualification badges on your lapel become a thing?
Page 1 2 3 4 5 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

When did wearing military qualification badges on your lapel become a thing? Login/Join 
Get my pies
outta the oven!

Picture of PASig
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by schrack:
My feelings, I gave 40yrs of my life in the Air Force!
I do not wear any of my stuff!
Notice alot of people wear more pins, hats and emblems of their accomplishments.
Don't for get the hats and vests with a variety of pins, ranks and what nots.
I served my time for Me and do not want to share it with the world.Done alot, been all over the world for Me.
I Covet the SAC Emblem and am Honored for Serving in SAC.
Its no ones business what I Did.

So you aren't proud in any way to show you served? Roll Eyes

That's all this is about, Jeez Freaking Louise

Posts: 33606 | Location: Pennsylvania | Registered: November 12, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I think the angst is calling it a “thing”. It’s a personal choice that you earned the right to make the display/non display your option. Do it if you want. Don’t do it if you want. Calling someone out for something they rightfully earned is bush league.

If you do ever run for office, almost all parts of the country military service is beneficial at best and neutral at worst. So if I run for emperor I’m wearing my wings just because it’s a smart move. And I earned it.

Posts: 7347 | Location: Florida | Registered: June 18, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I Am The Walrus
posted Hide Post
I think there is one thing we can all agree on: the guys wearing their WWII veteran caps are total badasses.

Not taking anything away from the Korean, Vietnam, Desert Storm or GWOT vets but the WWII vets are a different breed of man.

Posts: 13047 | Registered: March 12, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Yes I totally agree with you on that one.

Posts: 7347 | Location: Florida | Registered: June 18, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I'm scratching my head a little bit. 30 years in, with combat deployments and he elects to display a badge from a 10 day school. When I was at Campbell we would send anyone from a cook to an infantryman to the Air Assault School, if we could spare them from training (we were doing back to back deployments). If it was a Ranger Tab, I could definitely see wearing it, especially with him being an Intel guy. I would have figured he would display miniatures of his IRAQ or ASTAN service ribbons or a Miniature of his Combat patch. If I had the pleasure of meeting the Gentleman, I might respectfully inquire about his choice, but I wouldn't necessarily think ill of him.

As for the wearing of old medals on civilian clothes, the first I saw of it was on a Vietnam Vet back in the 90s, but he only wore them on special occasions.

Posts: 4547 | Location: Where ever Uncle Sam Sends Me | Registered: March 05, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I bet it might be as simple as what conveys military service better. A ribbon miniature that civilians don’t have any idea what it means or a badge with a helo on it. Or maybe it was the best 10 days of his life. Lol