SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  What's Your Deal!    Theives got both catalytic converters.
Page 1 2 3 4 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Theives got both catalytic converters. Login/Join 
Thank you
Very little
Picture of HRK
posted Hide Post
Link

Toyota Will Sell You A Catalytic Converter Shield For Just $140

The Toyota Cat Shield from MillerCAT is made from aluminum and stainless steel

Catalytic converter thefts continue to be a big issue, prompting Toyota to partner with MillerCAT to offer catalytic converter shields for new Toyota and Lexus models.

The catalytic converter shields are made from 5052 grade aluminum and 304 stainless steel and installed without requiring any drilling. They also include a tamper-proof screw kit to discourage would-be thieves from attempting to steal the valuable catalytic converter.

The option has been first launched for the 2023 Toyota Prius and can be ordered for $140 when making a new order on the Toyota website or at a dealership. Toyota and Lexus dealerships will handle the installation of the Cat Shield.

The Toyota Prius has become a major target for catalytic converter thieves as it features more precious metals than most other combustion-powered vehicles. The Toyota Tundra is also a popular target. Thieves can steal an unprotected catalytic converter in just a matter of seconds with the right tools and while the Cat Shield may not prevent all thefts, it will definitely deter thieves and make it much more difficult for them to cut a cat off.

It is not yet clear if MillerCAT’s Cat Shield will be available for all new Toyota and Lexus models.

Posts: 23392 | Location: Florida | Registered: November 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Savor the limelight
posted Hide Post
If the tools thieves use to steal catalytic converters cut through steel and stainless steel exhaust pipes in seconds, then just imagine how fast those tools cut through aluminum. My Bosch jig saw cuts 1/4” aluminum with ease. I’d bet a reciprocating saw would be even faster. The aluminum wouldn’t even dull the blade.

The only 304 stainless in the above linked Prius Cat Cover is the screws.

Posts: 10912 | Location: SWFL | Registered: October 10, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of smlsig
posted Hide Post
^^^^
Good point!

------------------
Eddie

Our Founding Fathers were men who understood that the right thing is not necessarily the written thing. -kkina

Posts: 6311 | Location: In transit | Registered: February 19, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Thank you
Very little
Picture of HRK
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by trapper189:
If the tools thieves use to steal catalytic converters cut through steel and stainless steel exhaust pipes in seconds, then just imagine how fast those tools cut through aluminum. My Bosch jig saw cuts 1/4” aluminum with ease. I’d bet a reciprocating saw would be even faster. The aluminum wouldn’t even dull the blade.

The only 304 stainless in the above linked Prius Cat Cover is the screws.

Thinking it's more like the club, can it be defeated, yes, but it's a little more work, and these broad daylight thieves are under and out quickly, designed to get them to steal the other guys stuff....

Posts: 23392 | Location: Florida | Registered: November 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Trophy Husband
Picture of C L Wilkins
posted Hide Post
Here's a thought, stated in jest...

Sue the tool company that makes the device used to remove the catalytic converter.

Same concept as firearms used in a crime. Blame the tool!

Posts: 3200 | Location: Texas | Registered: June 29, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of fwbulldog
posted Hide Post

Damn. Timing belt broken. It’s an interference engine, so it’s possible the I’ve got bent valves and damaged pistons.

The hits just keep on coming.

Posts: 3015 | Location: Round Rock | Registered: February 11, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Shaman
Picture of ScreamingCockatoo
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by fwbulldog:

Damn. Timing belt broken. It’s an interference engine, so it’s possible the I’ve got bent valves and damaged pistons.

The hits just keep on coming.

5 years ago my CR-V broke the belt on Christmas day.
Luckily, no bent valves!

He who fights with monsters might take care lest he thereby become a monster.

Posts: 39744 | Location: Atop the cockatoo tree | Registered: July 27, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fire begets Fire
Picture of SIGnified
posted Hide Post
Postman complained to me yesterday that over the Christmas holiday thieves got to the mailtruck and cut off his catalytic converter. Frown

"Pacifism is a shifty doctrine under which a man accepts the benefits of the social group without being willing to pay - and claims a halo for his dishonesty."
~Robert A. Heinlein

Posts: 26756 | Location: dughouse | Registered: February 04, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
How much is a catalytic converter worth if you go recycle one?

Posts: 21335 | Registered: June 12, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Better question,
How much is a cat converter worth if
The owner of the vandalized vehicle carts your ass off to a clandestine
Farm house and has your arms surgically removed at the socket on your shoulders?

Safety, Situational Awareness and proficiency.

Neck Ties, Hats and ammo brass, Never ,ever touch'em w/o asking first

Posts: 54602 | Location: Henry County , Il | Registered: February 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
We put Catstraps plus extra cables on all our vehicles.

Posts: 7016 | Registered: April 02, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of fwbulldog
posted Hide Post
The saga continues....

Got the new water pump, timing belt, tensioner, and all the pulleys replaced. That was fun. Pulled the spark plugs, cranked the motor by hand, no problem. Put it all back together, fired right up. Little victories, right?

So with the motor back together I'm ready to replace the cats. Opened up the boxes from Rock Auto and both cats are missing pieces. WTF? Seriously thought I'd be done with this thing.

One side is missing all the seals and the studs for the O2 sensor. The other side is missing the slip pipe. Ugh.

File a return with Rock Auto. They'll ship me replacements once I return them. So another week will go by.

I should have opened the boxes the second I got them, but it was 15 degrees outside, windy, and Christmas. I wasn't about to be outside working under a car.

At least the water pump/belt is good for another 100K miles. It's sitting at 275k right now.

Posts: 3015 | Location: Round Rock | Registered: February 11, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of P250UA5
posted Hide Post
Coworker got hit Friday, right in front of our office, in broad daylight, some point between 1-4pm.

2019 Dodge Ram 1500, they only took the driver's side cat, but it's a Y-pipe unit & both have to be replaced. $9k Eek

The Enemy's gate is down.

Posts: 15277 | Location: Spring, TX | Registered: July 11, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Razor wire

Posts: 937 | Registered: July 14, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of dkjbama
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by P250UA5:
Our safety guy's Tundra got hit, in broad daylight, at the office, a few months ago.
Hopefully you're able to get it fixed quickly. It took Toyota quite a while to get him back to normal.

That sounds familiar. You don't work for BGE do you? If so your safety guy is likely my FIL.

Posts: 775 | Location: NW Alabama | Registered: January 23, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of P250UA5
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by dkjbama:
quote:
Our safety guy's Tundra got hit, in broad daylight, at the office, a few months ago.
Hopefully you're able to get it fixed quickly. It took Toyota quite a while to get him back to normal.

That sounds familiar. You don't work for BGE do you? If so your safety guy is likely my FIL.

Not sure who/what BGE is, but that's not me.
We're in N Houston near IAH.

Posts: 15277 | Location: Spring, TX | Registered: July 11, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of dkjbama
posted Hide Post
quote:

Brown & Gay Engineers in downtown Houston. Facts just sounded really familiar. Same thing happened to my FIL.Cats chopped off his Tundra in the parking garage.

Posts: 775 | Location: NW Alabama | Registered: January 23, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of P250UA5
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by dkjbama:
quote:

Brown & Gay Engineers in downtown Houston. Facts just sounded really familiar. Same thing happened to my FIL.Cats chopped off his Tundra in the parking garage.

Gotcha, I'm at a small O/G company near IAH.
Luckily, the punks that stole our guy's parts were caught.
Still, he was without his truck for 6 months.
Guy that got hit Friday hasn't gotten a time estimate yet.

Little ray
of sunshine
Picture of jhe888
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by PASig:
There is a very easy way to end this, like tomorrow:

1. Put a serial number on each catalytic converter and make them easy to track
(some makers are starting to do this)

2. Make the penalties for buying and selling stolen catalytic converters VERY heavy.

Until then, it going to continue because apparently it's very lucrative

Don't forget that we then have to fund additional cops, prosecutors, courts, and jails to handle all those criminals you want to punish. I am sympathetic, but it is never as simple as "simple solutions" make it sound.

The fish is mute, expressionless. The fish doesn't think because the fish knows everything.

Posts: 53121 | Location: Texas | Registered: February 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
We put Catstraps on ours.

Posts: 7016 | Registered: April 02, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post