SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  What's Your Deal!    No instructions for assembly
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

No instructions for assembly Login/Join 
posted
I am not mechanically inclined. However with well written instruction or a You Tube video I can make do with simple projects.

Here we have NO instructions and no comparable You tube videos. Finally had some success but could have avoided all of that with some instruction.

Posts: 17236 | Location: Stuck at home | Registered: January 02, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Lost
Picture of kkina
posted Hide Post
What were you assembling?

ACCU-STRUT FOR MINI-14
"First, Eyes."

Posts: 16351 | Location: SF Bay Area | Registered: December 11, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Replacing a toilet seat. Believe it or not there are many configurations and types.

Posts: 17236 | Location: Stuck at home | Registered: January 02, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of vthoky
posted Hide Post
You need an engineer in your neighborhood. Razz

I'd come help you with it, but evidently I have to work next week. Wink

God bless America.

Posts: 13500 | Location: The mountainous part of Hokie Nation! | Registered: July 15, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
Yeah. I can write your reports. That is my skill area. Thanks

I Deal In Lead
Picture of Flash-LB
posted Hide Post
For once in my life, I'm speechless...for a minute or two.

Posts: 10626 | Location: Gilbert Arizona | Registered: March 21, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Dances With
Tornados
posted Hide Post
Whatever, just make sure you buy the Soft Close.

Posts: 11841 | Registered: October 26, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Or the instructions are a series of crude drawings with no written explanations. Roll Eyes

End of Earth: 2 Miles
Upper Peninsula: 4 Miles

Posts: 16089 | Location: Marquette MI | Registered: July 08, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fighting the good fight
Picture of RogueJSK
posted Hide Post
What kind of toilet seat was it?

For the vast majority of toilet seats, it's two bolts and two steps that takes about two minutes to complete.

Step 1: Unbolt old seat and lift off.
Step 2: Place new toilet seat and bolt on.

(And Step 2 is just the reverse of Step 1, so by that point you've already done it once already, only backwards.)

Occasionally there will be an interim half-step between Step 1 and Step 2, involving attaching the lower seat half and the upper cover half together, if they aren't attached from the factory.

When unbolting the old seat, use a screwdriver on the bolt head to unscrew until it spins freely, then hold the bolt in place while you remove the underside nut the rest of the way by hand. Then when bolting the new seat in place, thread the nut as far onto the bolt as you can until it stops (usually either by bottoming out or by a protruding wing hitting the side of the toilet before bottoming out), then use the screwdriver on the bolt head to snug it all the way down. You don't want/need to Hulk the bolt in place, especially since most bolts/nuts for toilet seats are plastic and can crack from excessive force; just snug is fine.

But if you have mobility issues, I could see how manipulating the nut on the underside of the toilet could be a little challenging, since it's upside down and blind, and most toilets aren't placed where you have a ton of room to work with.

The good news is, now that you've done it once, you know how to do it next time, even if it doesn't come with instructions again.

Posts: 32508 | Location: Northwest Arkansas | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
7.62mm Crusader
posted Hide Post
You can just Duck Tape the new seat down. I mean when you gotta go.. Big Grin

Posts: 17900 | Location: The Bluegrass State! | Registered: December 23, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Appreciate the effort to help me. Apparently it is the Bemis EZ close even though that is not what I ordered. The instructions on You Tube were all for the other kind. I was able to get it done
Like vthoky said I need an engineer in the neighborhood. I have mobility issues too. Simple shit like this really leaves me frustrated. I could have done this fairly easily with a four step instruction.

And Step 2 is just the reverse of Step 1, so by that point you've already done it once already, only backwards.)
^^^^^^^^^^^^^
That is what got me. The brand of seat is the same but the method of attachment of the seat to the toilet is entirely different.

Appreciate the help.

posted Hide Post
quote:
Or the instructions are a series of crude drawings with no written explanations.

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
Nope nothing.

I Deal In Lead
Picture of Flash-LB
posted Hide Post
One of my Dad's favorite sayings that has become one of my favorites is "he couldn't pour piss out of a boot if you put the instructions on the heel".

Sorry, I couldn't resist.

Posts: 10626 | Location: Gilbert Arizona | Registered: March 21, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
It does not bother me. It is what I heard from my mechanical engineer father my entire life. It took me many years to recover from that. We never had a repairman at the house and he and my mother constantly pointed out my mechanical ineptitude.
I expect to have problems when it comes to this stuff.

Picture of smlsig
posted Hide Post
^^^
We all have our strengths and weaknesses… Don’t let it bother you.

Glad you figured it out.

------------------
Eddie

Our Founding Fathers were men who understood that the right thing is not necessarily the written thing. -kkina

Posts: 6316 | Location: In transit | Registered: February 19, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Thank you. I appreciated that.

Picture of vthoky
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ZSMICHAEL:
I expect to have problems when it comes to this stuff.

In the great words of my college advisor: "This is how we learn." Smile

God bless America.

Posts: 13500 | Location: The mountainous part of Hokie Nation! | Registered: July 15, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Vote the
BASTIDS OUT!
Picture of yanici
posted Hide Post
I usually just let the misses do the job if it's as difficult as the toilet seat replace and I can't seem to figure it out.

John

"Building a wall will violate the rights of millions of illegals." [Nancy Pelosi]

Posts: 2409 | Location: N.E. Massachusetts | Registered: June 05, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Not an option. Seems to think I should know how.

posted Hide Post
I opened this expecting to read about some complex product installation. Toilet seat huh? We all have our crosses to bear.

Posts: 7473 | Location: Florida | Registered: June 18, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post