SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  What's Your Deal!    WARNING: New TSP site logon process extremely flawed
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

WARNING: New TSP site logon process extremely flawed Login/Join 
always with a hat or sunscreen
Picture of bald1
posted
TSP (Thrift Savings Plan) participants will no doubt be aware of the major renovation of the website and requirement for new logons to be established. We've been told the first week of June would see the ability to establish new logons.

Early this morning I opened up the site to see what was what.
+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

WARNING: NEW SITE ROLLOUT NOT READY FOR PRIME TIME!

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

Sent this to the thriftline email address:

At somewhat after 4am here in South Dakota I opened up the TSP website and found it prompted the establishment of a new login. Everything went along smoothly until I hit the security two question routine. Attempts to submit it were met by a prompt to try again in a couple minutes. Eventually the whole process timed out so I waited some and then started again only to get the same frustrating result.

I also got two strange emails from no-reply@tsp.gov at 4:49am local.
First was a "Your Account Information Has Changed" indicating "Your mobile phone number was added, changed, or removed."
Second was a "Confirmation: Address Change" stating "Your Address Change request was received on June 1, 2022. Your confirmation number is xxxxxxxx."
I initiated NEITHER of these requests / changes!

Went back again hoping that third time's the charm and started the new login procedure only to be told now that my identification could not be confirmed.

At 5:02am local (7:02am EDT) I called the Thrift Line TSP Help number (877-968-3778) and was surprised to be told that there was a queue to talk to a representative given you had only been open for business for two minutes. I was subjected to a very loud and annoying message suggesting I press 1 to preserve my place in line and would get a call back. After about 20 minutes I relented and did so with your automated system confirming my phone number. I never received a call back!

This afternoon at 3:29pm local I placed another call to the Thrift Line TSP Help number hoping that whatever the problems were this morning had cleared up. This time there was no incessant suggestion to request a call back at all. The music had changed and there was absolutely no comment about wait time or anything else... just music. After 10 minutes I hung up.

It is patently obvious to me that your roll out of the new site and login process is heavily flawed and thus premature. Sadly I have been caught in this now being locked out of my account (xxxx xxxx xxxxx).

At this point, being locked out of TSP and unable speak to anyone at TSP to get this matter resolved, I am sending this email in the hopes that I will be contacted with a remedy. (my phone number)

Certifiable member of the gun toting, septuagenarian, bucket list workin', crazed retiree, bald is beautiful club!
USN (RET), COTEP #192

Posts: 16146 | Location: Black Hills of South Dakota | Registered: June 20, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Brought to you by the makers of TreasuryDirect.com. No excuse for that monkey business. Thank God I don't use the TSP site.

Posts: 17175 | Location: Stuck at home | Registered: January 02, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Only the strong survive
Picture of 41
posted Hide Post
My Credit Union got new software about a year and it is a mess. They did away with the account ledger. I can't even link two different accounts to do transfers. Mad

Posts: 11828 | Location: Herndon, VA | Registered: June 11, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
אַרְיֵה
Picture of V-Tail
posted Hide Post
Website coding was probably outsourced to the low bidder, either offshore, or one who hired H1B contractors.

I saw similar disasters when Anderson Consulting took over software development for BellSouth.

They wanted me to train my replacement (H1B guy). I knew that they were not going to keep us (the American guys), so I left before training the H1B guy, rather than train him and then get laid off.

And, of course, software releases that had previously been tested thoroughly prior to going live, were now going online, loaded with bugs and problems.

Penny wise, pound foolish.

הרחפת שלי מלאה בצלופחים

Posts: 30544 | Location: Central Florida, Orlando area | Registered: January 03, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of 229DAK
posted Hide Post
Once your account is fixed, seriously consider moving your TSP funds to an outside financial institution (e.g., Vanguard, Fidelity, TRowePrice, etc.). Once my wife and I both retired from civil service, we both immediately got out of the TSP. We have never regretted that decision, so much more flexibility.

Posts: 9001 | Location: Northern Virginia | Registered: November 04, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of bald1
posted Hide Post
Several have suggested, both here and by email, bailing from TSP with the primary consideration being ease of withdrawals and overall flexibility. I have neither concern.

As for the ongoing fiasco, this morning their phone line said much the same as this posted to their site:

FWIW I've heard jack squat back in response to my email. Red Face

Certifiable member of the gun toting, septuagenarian, bucket list workin', crazed retiree, bald is beautiful club!
USN (RET), COTEP #192

Posts: 16146 | Location: Black Hills of South Dakota | Registered: June 20, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fighting the good fight
Picture of RogueJSK
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ZSMICHAEL:
Brought to you by the makers of TreasuryDirect.com

Heh. Truth.

TreasuryDirect does seem like it was coded by a 13 year old girl circa 1999, on breaks between updating their Backstreet Boys fan fiction Geocities blog and embedding gifs into their Myspace page's background.

Posts: 32421 | Location: Northwest Arkansas | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of 229DAK
posted Hide Post
Well, here's another reason I moved my money out of the TSP - the .gov doesn't directly control any of my money.

Posts: 9001 | Location: Northern Virginia | Registered: November 04, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
reasuryDirect does seem like it was coded by a 13 year old girl circa 1999, on breaks between updating their Backstreet Boys fan fiction Geocities blog and embedding gifs into their Myspace page's background.

^^^^^^^^^^^^^
Thanks for the laugh.

Posts: 17175 | Location: Stuck at home | Registered: January 02, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
FWIW I've heard jack squat back in response to my email.

^^^^^^^^^^^^
Hi. Mrs. Jill Squat here. Holler at you down the road!

Picture of bald1
posted Hide Post
After being on hold for 1 hr 35 minutes I was able to talk to someone. They admit things are FUBAR. They hope all the bugs will be fixed by early next week.

My problem, which was confirmed as NOT unique, was receiving system emails claiming my account info was changed which effectively locks me out. No roadmap fix has been developed to be shared with customer service reps for a fix for this. So I'm stuck in a wait and see mode although I have asked to be notified by email as to what is / has been done to fix the spurious corruption of my user identification.

What a #$%^&* goat rope! Mad Red Face Eek

USN (RET), COTEP #192

Picture of bald1
posted Hide Post
Still FUBAR! Mad

USN (RET), COTEP #192

Objectively Reasonable
Picture of DennisM
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by bald1:
Still FUBAR! Mad

And beyond "account" issues, missing basically all of the planning tools (circulars, calculators, etc.)

Well, at least it's not like I'm retiring this year or anything.

Oh, wait. It is.

Posts: 2452 | Registered: January 01, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of bald1
posted Hide Post
Still completely hosed and they had the gall to email me a satisfaction survey. Asshats!

USN (RET), COTEP #192

Picture of bald1
posted Hide Post
Assholes. Now I'm getting this when trying to establish a new login with their "updated" site. They require I call them about this. Oh joy... another couple hours on hold. Mad

USN (RET), COTEP #192

posted Hide Post
I would call your Congressional rep. They are supposed to fix shit like this. If it makes you feel any better it will probably get fixed in THEIR time.

Picture of bald1
posted Hide Post
85 minutes on hold but actually got someone who could discuss things intelligently and had access to the system to see what was what. Could actually see every attempt I've made since June 1st! Last call I made back on 3 June the rep couldn't see or do squat. Tech team has my issues now to resolve. We'll see.....

USN (RET), COTEP #192

posted Hide Post
quote:
85 minutes on hold but actually got someone who could discuss things intelligently and had access to the system to see what was what. Could actually see every attempt I've made since June 1st! Last call I made back on 3 June the rep couldn't see or do squat. Tech team has my issues now to resolve. We'll see.....

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
Keep us posted. Kudos on your patience! This should be easy to resolve from a Tech standpoint.

Picture of bald1
posted Hide Post
Still waiting............

USN (RET), COTEP #192

posted Hide Post
Dumoed TSP in '07 when I retired. Hate the gov in my finances

Posts: 17121 | Location: Lexington, KY | Registered: October 15, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post