SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  What's Your Deal!    More governmental stupidity - From our friends at IRS.
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

More governmental stupidity - From our friends at IRS. Login/Join 
posted
I do not owe Federal Income Tax and don't receive a refund. I file my taxes early and for 2020 filed the second week of February 2021. Today I received a letter from IRS telling me they want to verify my identity.
Four months after I filed. So, if my ID was compromised, the thieves had lots of time to do it! The letter provided a toll free number to call to verify my identity and had a list of documents I needed to have ready during the call. They also threatened to make me go to a local IRS office for an appointment to verify my ID if I did not call them. My first instinct was to feed the letter into my shredder and enjoy life, liberty and the pursuit of happiness. But, I figured if I didn't call in, IRS might seek revenge by screwing up my next tax filing. So, being Joe obedient taxpayer, I called. I then waited breathlessly while a recorded message droned on about the various type of letters that they have sent out. Then the call rang through to another recorded message that said....They were too busy to answer the phone and call back the next day! Mad
If you are serious about verifying my identity, then ANSWER the phone! Mad

End of Earth: 2 Miles
Upper Peninsula: 4 Miles

Posts: 15989 | Location: Marquette MI | Registered: July 08, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Official forum
SIG Pro
enthusiast
Picture of stickman428
posted Hide Post
Those motherfuckers are 100% worthless. You try to call them at all hours of the day on every listed number and the automated shit is guaranteed to hang up on you.

And just think people actually want incompetent government fux to be more involved in our healthcare!?!?!?

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

The price of liberty and even of common humanity is eternal vigilance

Posts: 21055 | Location: North Carolina  | Registered: April 16, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I had this letter earlier PLUS two more letters from them. All got taken care of, but it took a lot of time.

I was given the option of verifying my identity online. Not simple, but it took care of the problem. Do not ever bother calling them.

Posts: 17164 | Location: Stuck at home | Registered: January 02, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
We ignored the letters. Our credit accounts are locked down.

Posts: 7010 | Registered: April 02, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
And Biden wants to increase their budget by 50 billion so they can do more audits.

Posts: 17164 | Location: Stuck at home | Registered: January 02, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of sourdough44
posted Hide Post
Yes, hiring up to 80k more to look for additional $$. I got a letter from them last week. The letter said I may be eligible for IRS $$$ even if I didn’t pay any taxes, cash for kids 17 & under.

It’s part of the new program for $$ for everyone, someone else’s $$$. Don’t worry, don’t qualify here.

Posts: 6128 | Location: WI | Registered: February 29, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
What adds to the stupid is thanks to a hack to one of their employment application databases, they signed me up for a free ID monitoring service!
One hand not knowing.... Roll Eyes

End of Earth: 2 Miles
Upper Peninsula: 4 Miles

Posts: 15989 | Location: Marquette MI | Registered: July 08, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Just because you can,
doesn't mean you should
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ZSMICHAEL:
And Biden wants to increase their budget by 50 billion so they can do more audits.

I heard some congressman yesterday saying they could expect to get somewhere between $5-80 billion a year from this effort.
Knowing how much they always overstate the income side of anything they want to spend money on, this just sounds like another effort to expand government employment.

Posts: 9444 | Location: NE GA | Registered: August 22, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
semi-reformed sailor
Picture of MikeinNC
posted Hide Post
And if all of us just sent in 10% of income and the govt had to stay w/i that income we’d all be better off.

Imagine, 10% from all companies, and persons....we could do away with the IRS

"Violence, naked force, has settled more issues in history than has any other factor.” Robert A. Heinlein

“You may beat me, but you will never win.” sigmonkey-2020

“A single round of buckshot to the torso almost always results in an immediate change of behavior.” Chris Baker

Posts: 11236 | Location: Temple, Texas! | Registered: October 07, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Misanthropic Philanthrope
Picture of MWC
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by MikeinNC:
And if all of us just sent in 10% of income and the govt had to stay w/i that income we’d all be better off.

Imagine, 10% from all companies, and persons....we could do away with the IRS

Absolutely! Also, and knowing full well that many states have no income tax, but apply the same principle to state income tax and free the states from their dependency upon the federal government for additional funding for infrastructure like roads, bridges and highways.

Posts: 6772 | Registered: June 14, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ZSMICHAEL:
I had this letter earlier PLUS two more letters from them. All got taken care of, but it took a lot of time.

I was given the option of verifying my identity online. Not simple, but it took care of the problem. Do not ever bother calling them.

There has been an increase in the number of returns filed by ID scammers, so this no doubt has something to do with the increased number of IRS ID verification requests. If you can't get this done on line, contact your congressman and ask for help resolving this. Congressional staffers have access to phone numbers that actually get answered.

Posts: 1035 | Location: New Jersey  | Registered: May 03, 2019Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Sorry for the run-around. It is worth sorting though. We had fraudulent 1040's filed about 5+ years ago. We found out after we filed, and the IRS wrote that a return (with a LARGE refund) had already been made with my SSN. Finally got it all sorted out, and the IRS sends us PIN numbers every year now to include on our forms when they are returned. No glitches thus far. We've locked our credit ever since, and the IRS or the State won't take our returns without the PIN numbers.

NRA Member

Outside of a dog, a book is a man's best friend. Inside of a dog, it's too dark to read.
--Groucho Marx

Posts: 72 | Location: Tulsa County, Oklahoma | Registered: June 15, 2021Reply With QuoteReport This Post
34" Scale 5-String
Picture of bronicabill
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by YooperSigs:
I do not owe Federal Income Tax and don't receive a refund. I file my taxes early and for 2020 filed the second week of February 2021. Today I received a letter from IRS telling me they want to verify my identity.
Four months after I filed. So, if my ID was compromised, the thieves had lots of time to do it! The letter provided a toll free number to call to verify my identity and had a list of documents I needed to have ready during the call. They also threatened to make me go to a local IRS office for an appointment to verify my ID if I did not call them. My first instinct was to feed the letter into my shredder and enjoy life, liberty and the pursuit of happiness. But, I figured if I didn't call in, IRS might seek revenge by screwing up my next tax filing. So, being Joe obedient taxpayer, I called. I then waited breathlessly while a recorded message droned on about the various type of letters that they have sent out. Then the call rang through to another recorded message that said....They were too busy to answer the phone and call back the next day! Mad
If you are serious about verifying my identity, then ANSWER the phone! Mad

I went through this exact scenario a few months back over my 2019 taxes. They owed me several thousand due to employment changes that year, so I had to get it done. Took me 3 weeks of near daily calling to finally talk to a live person! Would have done it online, but of the list of documents I needed to have available, I possessed none... so talking to a rep was my only option! Good gawd I hate the IRS!!!

Bill R.
North Alabama

Posts: 4544 | Location: Madison, AL | Registered: December 06, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
34" Scale 5-String
Picture of bronicabill
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Fed161:
<<snip>> If you can't get this done on line, contact your congressman and ask for help resolving this. Congressional staffers have access to phone numbers that actually get answered.

I tried this with my congresscritter and got zero response!

Bill R.
North Alabama

Posts: 4544 | Location: Madison, AL | Registered: December 06, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Blume9mm
posted Hide Post
I for years did my own filing... one man business and operation... no bean counter other than me....

Never paid estimated taxes and usually filed and then had to pay monthly for the next year to be caught up before the next filing.... the bean counters will tell you this is bad and cost like crazy in penalties and interest....

well, a few years back I filed and paid half of what I owed... three months later I get the letter and instead of making the payment plan I realized I could pay it all off... then I went and looked at how much it cost me in penalties and interest to not pay estimated taxes and all of it ahead of time.... I still have the amount posted on my wall of fame: $23.69!

#1 rule in life:
"Don't believe everything they tell you."

My Native American Name:
"Runs with Scissors"

Posts: 4441 | Location: Greenville, SC | Registered: January 30, 2017Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I Deal In Lead
Picture of Flash-LB
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Blume9mm:
I for years did my own filing... one man business and operation... no bean counter other than me....

Never paid estimated taxes and usually filed and then had to pay monthly for the next year to be caught up before the next filing.... the bean counters will tell you this is bad and cost like crazy in penalties and interest....

well, a few years back I filed and paid half of what I owed... three months later I get the letter and instead of making the payment plan I realized I could pay it all off... then I went and looked at how much it cost me in penalties and interest to not pay estimated taxes and all of it ahead of time.... I still have the amount posted on my wall of fame: $23.69!

#1 rule in life:

My wife's hairdresser pays nothing at all in estimated taxes, then pays it all at the end of the year (she's self employed). Usually gets around a $50 penalty but she says it's worth it.

Posts: 10626 | Location: Gilbert Arizona | Registered: March 21, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Flash-LB:
quote:
Originally posted by Blume9mm:

#1 rule in life:

My wife's hairdresser pays nothing at all in estimated taxes, then pays it all at the end of the year (she's self employed). Usually gets around a $50 penalty but she says it's worth it.

Same here. I owed IRS around $1,600 along with a $36 penalty.

"Some people are alive today because it's against the law to kill them".

Posts: 8228 | Location: Arizona | Registered: August 17, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
We're both retired with decent pensions and we use a traditional IRA to pay for vacations. We always owe money in April.

A couple years ago we accidentally paid federal (around $5K) a few months late and had to pay a penalty of...$26. I thought I paid on time thru a www site I had used before, but the transaction never went through and they never told me. That's a separate rant.

Our tax guy offered to send a letter of explanation asking to waive the penalty, but I said for $26 it wasn't worth the effort.

Posts: 15895 | Location: Eastern Iowa | Registered: May 21, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of smlsig
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by bronicabill:
quote:
Originally posted by Fed161:
<<snip>> If you can't get this done on line, contact your congressman and ask for help resolving this. Congressional staffers have access to phone numbers that actually get answered.

I tried this with my congresscritter and got zero response!

I hope I have better luck than you did…
My 5 figure refund is more than 3 months overdue. It was filed by my CPA electronically and received by them the next day (got a confirmation email). The website and phone calls are useless so I fired off a note to one of my democratic senators and they sent me a form to fill out.earlier this week. I’ll give them a week and start bugging the shit out of them. We’ll see if this has any effect…

------------------
Eddie

Our Founding Fathers were men who understood that the right thing is not necessarily the written thing. -kkina

Posts: 6309 | Location: In transit | Registered: February 19, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Step by step walk the thousand mile road
Picture of Sig2340
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by YooperSigs:
alinc100, thanks for posting that link. And wouldn't you know it? My letter is not one that qualifies me to use the website. Mad Which I am OK with, since they wanted me to submit a credit card number. That would be totally secure, right? Roll Eyes I will just wait this out to see if they actually set up an an appointment with the local IRS office. Any bets on when or if that happens?
I fully understand that lots of fraudulent returns are being sent in to IRS. And them wanting to verify my ID is fine too. The stupid factors in when you actually try to work with them to get this done.

Credit card number?

That screams SCAM to me. Unless they owe you, I'd ignore that letter. And even then I'd be God damned if I give them a credit card number.

Nice is overrated

"It's every freedom-loving individual's duty to lie to the government."
Airsoftguy, June 29, 2018

Posts: 31361 | Location: Loudoun County, Virginia | Registered: May 17, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post