SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  What's Your Deal!    Requiring a degree for a position that doesn't require it.
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Requiring a degree for a position that doesn't require it. Login/Join 
posted
We had a wonderful receptionist. She did much much more than answer the phone and greet people. She was the go to for an answer of many questions.
Unfortunately, she was laid off because some moron decided that everyone that works in our building must have a 4 year degree.

So now, they can't find a replacement because they want to pay low wage but expect a college graduate.

The mindset that everyone must go to college has to end.

** My Underdeveloped Collection **
Sig Sauer P229 .40 Black with Aluminum Grips
Sig Sauer P250 9mm Black
Beretta PX4 Storm 9mm
Springfield XD .40 Subcompact Black
Springfield XD .45 Tactical Bi-Tone

Posts: 645 | Location: Crestview Florida | Registered: July 23, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of myrottiety
posted Hide Post
That's retarded to lay her off. Just make the decision going forward on new hires.

Train how you intend to Fight

Remember - Training is not sparring. Sparring is not fighting. Fighting is not combat.

Posts: 8838 | Location: Woodstock, GA | Registered: August 04, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of P250UA5
posted Hide Post
That sucks.
If you can perform your job (in a position that shouldn't explicitly require a degree) without it, keep on trucking, IMO.

The Enemy's gate is down.

Posts: 15154 | Location: Spring, TX | Registered: July 11, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
No, not like
Bill Clinton
Picture of BigSwede
posted Hide Post
What a stupid asshole, why in the heck would a receptionist need a 4 year degree?

Posts: 5302 | Location: GA | Registered: September 23, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Your company needs someone with a Kg. diploma running it, to make better decisions. I think it speaks to the stupidity of HR or whoever is making these decisions.

Posts: 17177 | Location: Stuck at home | Registered: January 02, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Freethinker
Picture of sigfreund
posted Hide Post
And yet one more demonstration that a four-year degree (or more) does not keep people from making stunningly stupid decisions.

6.4/93.6

“Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something.”
— Plato

Posts: 47366 | Location: 10,150 Feet Above Sea Level in Colorado | Registered: April 04, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fire begets Fire
Picture of SIGnified
posted Hide Post
I would argue that many degrees are quite good indicators of stupidity. Wink

"Pacifism is a shifty doctrine under which a man accepts the benefits of the social group without being willing to pay - and claims a halo for his dishonesty."
~Robert A. Heinlein

Posts: 26756 | Location: dughouse | Registered: February 04, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I Am The Walrus
posted Hide Post
I saw a law firm in NYC requiring a college degree (they did not say which degree) for their receptionist position. It paid $16/hour. Roll Eyes

But then people get that college degree and then the employer says they don't have professional certification. Get that professional certification and the employer says they don't have experience.

It's a vicious cycle and employers are doing it because "that's the way it's always been done" and don't know how to change.

To me, college was a waste of time and money.

Posts: 13047 | Registered: March 12, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fire begets Fire
Picture of SIGnified
posted Hide Post
LMAO… Certification is even worse. If you have PMI after your title, I’m not even gonna bother.

"Pacifism is a shifty doctrine under which a man accepts the benefits of the social group without being willing to pay - and claims a halo for his dishonesty."
~Robert A. Heinlein

Posts: 26756 | Location: dughouse | Registered: February 04, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I Deal In Lead
Picture of Flash-LB
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by SIGnified:
LMAO… Certification is even worse. If you have PMI after your title, I’m not even gonna bother.

There's a fact.

I've got around 12 professional certifications. Only 2 of them are for real, the other 10 are nothing more than attendance certificates. I told a lot of people in the business that was the way it was, but a bunch of people think that certifications mean something. Some do, but in my experience, most don't.

The two I have that are for real both have flunk rates of around 50% which shows the subject matter is difficult and the test is not open book and requires real knowledge.

I'm proud of those two.

Posts: 10626 | Location: Gilbert Arizona | Registered: March 21, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
drop and give me
20 pushups
posted Hide Post
After that employee that was let go because they did not have a degree did they try and bring in someone who might have some type of personal connection (such as family member / friend/etc.) and then using their job position to manipulate the position for personal gain. Would not be the first time that such things have happened. ..... Just because someone might have one or multible degrees does not mean that even after given written instructions that the could be able to pour water out of a boot... .............. drill sgt.

Posts: 1954 | Location: denham springs , la | Registered: October 19, 2019Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fire begets Fire
Picture of SIGnified
posted Hide Post
I didn’t mean to impugn all certifications… That would be a gross overreach.

All I’m saying is certain degrees and certifications tell me a lot about you; not necessarily good things either.

~Robert A. Heinlein

My other Sig
is a Steyr.
Picture of .38supersig
posted Hide Post
Doesn't matter if they can do the job or not, as long as someone in HR can feel good about themselves. Roll Eyes

Posts: 9112 | Location: Somewhere looking for ammo that nobody has at a place I haven't been to for a pistol I couldn't live without... | Registered: December 02, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Invest Early, Invest Often
Picture of TomV
posted Hide Post
When I looked at jobs at Google many years ago they seemed like they wanted only degree holders no matter the job.

The jobs I was looking at were in their Fleet Services or Maintenance area, similar to what I had been doing at Auto Dealers for years.

Posts: 1341 | Location: Escaped California...Now In Sunny, Southern Utah | Registered: February 15, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Certs are bad. We needed a Linux IT guy. HR has a standard set of Dos certs they require. Guy shows up and quits 2 days later. Rinse and repeat.

** My Underdeveloped Collection **
Sig Sauer P229 .40 Black with Aluminum Grips
Sig Sauer P250 9mm Black
Beretta PX4 Storm 9mm
Springfield XD .40 Subcompact Black
Springfield XD .45 Tactical Bi-Tone

Posts: 645 | Location: Crestview Florida | Registered: July 23, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I Am The Walrus
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by SIGnified:

To me, those organizations are money making schemes. They've convinced employers someone would be a better employee if they have that certification. Then they charge for the training, exam/certification of that person and that person has to do so many hours each year of "approved education" in order to maintain their status to renew their certification or risk having it expire and start the process over again.

What a grand scheme to money making.

Posts: 13047 | Registered: March 12, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
אַרְיֵה
Picture of V-Tail
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by xd45man:

some moron decided that everyone that works in our building must have a 4 year degree.
HR? All the janitorial / maintenance folks are graduates of Harvard Business School?

הרחפת שלי מלאה בצלופחים

Posts: 30546 | Location: Central Florida, Orlando area | Registered: January 03, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
W07VH5
Picture of mark123
posted Hide Post
Since the receptionist was laid off and not fired, they can call her back to work and get rid of the stupid new rule. Hopefully, she gets a raise.

Posts: 45331 | Location: Pennsyltucky | Registered: December 05, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
More persistent
than capable
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by sigfreund:
And yet one more demonstration that a four-year degree (or more) does not keep people from making stunningly stupid decisions.

New guy moves in across from me, retired PHD economics professor. A few months later chatting at the mailbox he says
“retirement is more expensive than I thought it would be”

Lick the lollipop of mediocrity once and you suck forever.

Posts: 1083 | Location: North | Registered: August 27, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Page late and a dollar short
posted Hide Post
Twice I had people attempting to get me into a corporate position years ago with one of the “Big Three”. Reason I was given on these instances was that the position required a two year college degree. No if’s and’ or but’s, no degree, no chance.

Reason for the requirement was that completion of a two year degree regardless of the course of study showed that the candidate would take a challenge and complete it.

Guess working in dealerships and being in various positions for ten to fifteen years (at that time) didn’t prove anything but a degree in Botany would show corporate “something”.

-------------------------------------——————
————————--Ignorance is a powerful tool if applied at the right time, even, usually, surpassing knowledge(E.J.Potter, A.K.A. The Michigan Madman)

Posts: 8066 | Location: Livingston County Michigan USA | Registered: August 11, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post