SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  What's Your Deal!    I expected more from Google WiFi
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

I expected more from Google WiFi Login/Join 
Picture of 4MUL8R
posted
I purchased three wireless gizmos from Google, and had ethernet run direct to the first gizmo with gigabit speed. I expected nearly instantaneous Chromebook reponse to all things on the web. I am still on dial-up. I hate when things do not work well. I am not paying much for gigabit, but it should be nearly instantaneous, don't you think?

Primary issue is Google docs, sheets, and slides. These things take FOREVER to load. WTF?

My WiFi access points are within eight feet of the computers. Same freaking room.

-------
Trying to simplify my life...

Posts: 5053 | Location: Commonwealth of Virginia | Registered: January 15, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Savor the limelight
posted Hide Post
I don't know what Google WiFi is, but if it's using your dialup to connect to the internet then your dialup will limit your speeds whenever your devices are receiving or sending data from/to the internet.

Think about it like this: you could plumb your house with 4" pipe. It won't flow more water if your main is only 1".

Posts: 10936 | Location: SWFL | Registered: October 10, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of 4MUL8R
posted Hide Post
I am on gigabit FiOS. Direct Ethernet from nic to first WiFi access point. No Verizon router.

-------

Posts: 5053 | Location: Commonwealth of Virginia | Registered: January 15, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
A Grateful American
Picture of sigmonkey
posted Hide Post
If your dragstrip is in a schoolzone, your E.T. is gonna suck.

"the meaning of life, is to give life meaning" Ani Yehudi אני יהודי Le'olam lo shuv לעולם לא שוב!

Posts: 43876 | Location: ...... I am thrice divorced, and I live in a van DOWN BY THE RIVER!!! (in Arkansas) | Registered: December 20, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Corgis Rock
Picture of Icabod
posted Hide Post
While I have high speed Internet, the WiFi link from my tablet to the router is slower.
Can you connect by wire and see if there’s a difference?

“ The work of destruction is quick, easy and exhilarating; the work of creation is slow, laborious and dull.

Posts: 6060 | Location: Outside Seattle | Registered: November 29, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Caught in a loop
posted Hide Post
I'd try hardwiring it in before you get too frustrated. Eliminate as many variables as possible.

"In order to understand recursion, you must first learn the principle of recursion."

Posts: 3352 | Location: Memphis, TN | Registered: August 23, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
The google WIFI app on you phone will let you test the speed to the router and the speed to each device on the network. That's where I would start.

Posts: 260 | Registered: March 08, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I have this system and get close to 100MB/s throughout the house so I suspect something other than the access points is to blame. Do you have a router/modem combo wired to your primary wireless access point? If so, you may need to turn off the router so it's operating only as a modem.

Posts: 995 | Location: Tampa | Registered: July 27, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Drill Here, Drill Now
Picture of tatortodd
posted Hide Post
Excerpt from Cnet's review (red font by me):
quote:
Should you buy it?

Thanks to the price alone, it's easy to recommend the Google Wifi over other home mesh systems. That said you should definitely get it if:
  • Your internet speed is slower than 250Mbps, and most residential connections are slower than half of that (here's how to find out your true internet speed)
  • You have a large home (up to 5,000 square feet) and want to easily bring internet to every corner
  • You don't want to deal with setting up a network or trying to understand weird networking terms
  • You're only planning to stream movies and do other normal everyday internet stuff

Don't get Google Wifi if:
  • You want to deeply customize your home network
  • You have ultrafast internet speed (200Mbps or faster) or need fast local network speed (in this case, due to signal loss you might not get your full internet speed at far corners)
  • You don't want your home network to be connected to Google at all times
  • You have a lot of wired clients (servers, desktop computers and so on)

If you fall into the second category, consider something else, such as the Netgear Orbi, which will give you both speed and customization, albeit at a higher price, or a regular router like the Asus RT-AC88U, which will also give you more network ports.
  • Since the OP has a 3 piece mesh system, is the primary (aka hard-wire connected by Cat 5 or 6 cable to modem) access point (AP) in the middle? On most mesh systems, you'll get faster speeds if the primary AP is in the middle. If you daisy chain them, the 3rd AP connects to 2nd AP which relays back to the primary AP and your speed will be 25% when connected to 3 AP and 50% when connected to 2nd AP. Google's system doesn't have a dedicated backhaul channel so backhaul and clients are sharing the 867 MBs bandwidth (5 GHz) and 300 MBs (2.4 GHz).

Also, distance matters:
  • Is the 2nd AP 45 feet or less (less is better) from the primary AP?
  • Is the 3rd AP 45 feet or less from the primary AP?

Ego is the anesthesia that deadens the pain of stupidity

DISCLAIMER: These are the author's own personal views and do not represent the views of the author's employer.
  •  
    Posts: 23246 | Location: Northern Suburbs of Houston | Registered: November 14, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
    quarter MOA visionary
    Picture of smschulz
    posted Hide Post
    Wi Fi is a science not an art.
    Most get some success (Wi Fi performance) by pure luck.
    Mesh networks (I believe that is what Google WIFI is-correct) are a convenient compromise when multiple AP installations are difficult.
    So many things to check.
    I would start by eliminating all but the direct connected AP to test.
    Also compare to hard wired.
    Security needs to be properly configured.
    Try only 5ghz band as it has the most throughput.
    Is the problem with the client.
    Is there competing interference.
    As hard as it is for most to understand we want to use the lowest output on the AP (if configurable) as necessary.
    Higher output gets more range but lowers throughput.
    Lot of other things to check but I will stop there .
    Good Luck.

Posts: 22904 | Location: Houston, TX | Registered: June 11, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
    eh-TEE-oh-clez
    Picture of Aeteocles
    posted Hide Post
    Can you go to speedtest.net and tell us your actual throughout?

Posts: 13047 | Location: Orange County, California | Registered: May 19, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
    Picture of 4MUL8R
    posted Hide Post
    Here on the 2nd floor, about eight feet from one of the AP, the speed measured 99 down 75 up.

I would imagine this AP is in third place. The closest one downstairs is not the origin.

-------

quarter MOA visionary
    Picture of smschulz
    posted Hide Post
    quote:
    Originally posted by 4MUL8R:
    Here on the 2nd floor, about eight feet from one of the AP, the speed measured 99 down 75 up .

I would imagine this AP is in third place. The closest one downstairs is not the origin.

So what is the problem? Confused

Posts: 22904 | Location: Houston, TX | Registered: June 11, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post