SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  What's Your Deal!    Tracphone is now Kaput.
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Tracphone is now Kaput. Login/Join 
posted
Was recently bought out by Verzion.

I used Tracphone for over 8 years and never had an issue with poor service or dropped calls. But, my phone is an LG (no longer made) and has 3G service which is phased out by all carriers.

So, now begins the hassle of dealing with MuJabar or his sister overseas with a new phone and to switch minutes and still get the 3 for 1 deal I got from Tracphone, I.E. a 60 minute prepay card got me 180 minutes for 3 months.

Meanwhile, I'm still dealing with the USPS and mailings not being delivered to me because the address was not quite correct.

Sigh.

"Some people are alive today because it's against the law to kill them".

Posts: 8228 | Location: Arizona | Registered: August 17, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Thank you
Very little
Picture of HRK
posted Hide Post
if you are 55 plus, check with T-Mobile, they have a good deal for 55plus, free phones low monthly rates for BYOL...

Of course if you do the phone deal it's contracted, however, if you just bring your phone line, it's month to month, you have to have your own phone, if you don't want to contract for a phone check WOOT for deals on phones

https://electronics.woot.com/p...?ref=w_ngh_el_3_wp_3

Posts: 23207 | Location: Florida | Registered: November 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of 08 Cayenne
posted Hide Post
I had 2 tracphones for at least 12 years bought one for my wife and one for her mother for emergency use. I amassed thousands and thousands of unused minutes. About a week ago I asked my wife about them, she checked and both had expired. They refused to let me backpay for what I missed, only about a month. Screw them. I also got so sick and tired of the calls to India. "Excuse me for 1 second sir while I get the information" Dozens of times per call.

Posts: 1579 | Location: Ohio | Registered: May 27, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
always with a hat or sunscreen
Picture of bald1
posted Hide Post
Tracphone owns StraightTalk so I wonder if they will be likewise impacted.

As an aside T-Mobile doesn't work in my area.

Certifiable member of the gun toting, septuagenarian, bucket list workin', crazed retiree, bald is beautiful club!
USN (RET), COTEP #192

Posts: 16139 | Location: Black Hills of South Dakota | Registered: June 20, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Nullus Anxietas
Picture of ensigmatic
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by bald1:
When's the last time you checked? T-Mobile has been extending its coverage like gangbusters for the last few years.

FWIW: I just looked at their coverage map. I know those tend to be optimistic, but they show SD pretty thoroughly covered now.

"America is at that awkward stage. It's too late to work within the system,,,, but too early to shoot the bastards." -- Claire Wolfe
"If we let things terrify us, life will not be worth living." -- Seneca the Younger, Roman Stoic philosopher

Posts: 25991 | Location: S.E. Michigan | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
always with a hat or sunscreen
Picture of bald1
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ensigmatic:
quote:
When's the last time you checked? T-Mobile has been extending its coverage like gangbusters for the last few years.

FWIW: I just looked at their coverage map. I know those tend to be optimistic, but they show SD pretty thoroughly covered now.

Still sucks in my area outside Rapid City limits. My RedMed CPAP uses T-Mobile and it won't connect so I use the memory card instead. Folks around town all say the same thing. Only Verizon and AT&T work here worth a damn.

Certifiable member of the gun toting, septuagenarian, bucket list workin', crazed retiree, bald is beautiful club!
USN (RET), COTEP #192

Posts: 16139 | Location: Black Hills of South Dakota | Registered: June 20, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of dsiets
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by GWbiker:
Was recently bought out by Verzion.

I used Tracphone for over 8 years and never had an issue with poor service or dropped calls. But, my phone is an LG (no longer made) and has 3G service which is phased out by all carriers.

So, now begins the hassle of dealing with MuJabar or his sister overseas with a new phone and to switch minutes and still get the 3 for 1 deal I got from Tracphone, I.E. a 60 minute prepay card got me 180 minutes for 3 months.

Meanwhile, I'm still dealing with the USPS and mailings not being delivered to me because the address was not quite correct.

Sigh.

I also was using Tracfone when my phone service got turned off, requiring me to contact them. I only buy 3 months at a time around $7/mo.
I contacted them and got a new free flip phone that does the 4g but this new phone expects me to connect to the internet and find new charges or sum such?
My old phone didn't use internet and I'm not going to now, so if they require me to connect, I ain't paying for it.
We'll see what happens because I just want a phone for calling and the stupid texting. I'm not paying for shit I don't/won't use. I've a land line and multiple computers and big tv for the rest.

Posts: 7316 | Location: MI | Registered: May 22, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
It's funny,we have x3 T-Mobile stores in my area and in those stores, there is no reception. We had T-Mobile for a couple years,(contract), and they were the worst.

Posts: 6838 | Location: Treasure Coast,Fl. | Registered: July 04, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Invest Early, Invest Often
Picture of TomV
posted Hide Post
One trick on extending your Service Date with Tracfone is to go to their website, add a $5 text message bundle to the cart, go to the cart and you should be able to add 1 year of service only for $49.

I do this with my Mom's phone, she doesn't use many texts or minutes, so she doesn't need the $125 bundle that add air time, texts and minutes.

Posts: 1340 | Location: Escaped California...Now In Sunny, Southern Utah | Registered: February 15, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Thank you
Very little
Picture of HRK
posted Hide Post
quote:
Tracphone owns StraightTalk so I wonder if they will be likewise impacted.

There are holes in everyones network, here Tmobile is best on 5G, the coverage picks up big time over the older iPhone XR I had that wouldn't do 5G, there were a few areas of problems.

Posts: 23207 | Location: Florida | Registered: November 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Nullus Anxietas
Picture of ensigmatic
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by HRK:
There are holes in everyones network, here Tmobile is best on 5G, the coverage picks up big time over the older iPhone XR I had that wouldn't do 5G, there were a few areas of problems.
Yup. Newer devices, with support for TMO's newer 700MHz and 600MHz bands will see coverage where older devices will not.

E.g.: Our older iPhone 6S' did not support TMO's new 600MHz band. That's mainly why I upgraded us to iPhone SE (2020)'s.

"America is at that awkward stage. It's too late to work within the system,,,, but too early to shoot the bastards." -- Claire Wolfe
"If we let things terrify us, life will not be worth living." -- Seneca the Younger, Roman Stoic philosopher

Posts: 25991 | Location: S.E. Michigan | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
His diet consists of black
coffee, and sarcasm.
Picture of egregore
posted Hide Post
T-mobile's Simple Mobile is also Tracfone. I found out kind of the hard way. Roll Eyes I do get what I'm paying for, at least.

Posts: 27805 | Location: Johnson City/Elizabethton, TN | Registered: April 28, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Washing machine whisperer
Picture of Appliance Brad
posted Hide Post
I'm a long time Tracfone user. They have always used Verizon's network in my area. I was pretty happy when I upgraded from a 7S to a X that I could bluetooth my contacts over and just drop in the SIM card. I figure I spend about $25 a month on airtime and data. My wife mostly uses her phone for listening to books and podcasts while she is doing farm chores. she has thousands of minutes accumulated but i have to buy her a year's worth of service annually to keep her phone account active.

But pay as you go phones have worked well for us both for more than a decade.

Posts: 11219 | Location: below the palm tree line of Michigan | Registered: September 17, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I ordered a new phone (free) from Tracphone a couple of days ago. I called them late at night and got Mujabars sister who spoke very good English. (a plus)

It's a flip phone but it's free and able to transfer my remaining minutes and use the older prepay minute card. (So she said)

That said, Sunday afternoon, I lost all cell connection on my current phone. Called Tracphone and had service restored after a go around with Mujabar in tech.

In closing, I hope Judge Green does roast in Hell.

Posts: 8228 | Location: Arizona | Registered: August 17, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of SiGagain
posted Hide Post
been a TracFone user on the AT&T network since the first of the year...using my own iPhone SE 2...3 months and I have to say that the service both with the call and TracFone have been very little different than it was with AT&T and I am paying half the price for the same calls/text/data...

the main difference I see is my voicemail is different...

I'm fine with TracFone so far...

Bill

Fast is Fine...Accuracy is Final
*SiGARMS GSR Revolution STX
*SiG/Sauer*P220*P226*P228*P230*P245*SPC2009*P365

NRA Benefactor Life/LEAA Life Membership

Posts: 2410 | Location: ChicagoLand, USA | Registered: November 28, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Well, I got the free phone, a Orbic Journey V flip phone.

However, I cannot find a way to measure my remaining minutes on the phone. Unlike my unused LG 3G phone with had the remaining time and minutes left on the screen.

Yes, I tried the Internet but Tracfone now wants my "password".....huh?

Tracfone, bought out by Verizon. IMO, the kiss of death.

Plowing straight ahead come what may
Picture of Bisleyblackhawk
posted Hide Post
Shit…this is the first I’ve heard of this…I’ve been using Tracfone for a dozen years or so and I’ve been more than satisfied with their service for the price…for some twist of KARMA my Tracfone gets service at my brother’s property in the mountains of NC when others don’t…go figger Confused

"we've gotta roll with the punches, learn to play all of our hunches
Making the best of what ever comes our way
Forget that blind ambition and learn to trust your intuition
Plowing straight ahead come what may
And theres a cowboy in the jungle"
Jimmy Buffet

Posts: 10579 | Location: Southeast Tennessee...not far above my homestate Georgia | Registered: March 10, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of dsiets
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by GWbiker:
Well, I got the free phone, a Orbic Journey V flip phone.

However, I cannot find a way to measure my remaining minutes on the phone. Unlike my unused LG 3G phone with had the remaining time and minutes left on the screen.

Yes, I tried the Internet but Tracfone now wants my "password".....huh?

Tracfone, bought out by Verizon. IMO, the kiss of death.

I'm hoping they do like they used to and send me a reminder whenever my service needs to be renewed so I don't have to log in to check.
I've also got the free Orbic flip phone and the volume and text size could be better. I had considered paying for a better one but due to timing, none were in stock except the most expensive phones.

Posts: 7316 | Location: MI | Registered: May 22, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I wanna go home
Picture of jeeperxd
posted Hide Post
My wifes trac-phone was also shut off luckily we bought a Samsung trac-phone on QVC for $57.00 it has 1500 minutes,1500 texts and 1.5GB data along with 365 days of activation. The data is not much but she does not use it, The only thing is we lost all her other minutes and needed a new number since we could not verify any texts from them on the deactivated phone. In there defense they did send out a reminder and I didn't pay attention.

Posts: 1199 | Location: Pa | Registered: December 16, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Wife's tracfone stopped working. We don't use it much so we didn't notice right away. Had to reboot. Still says we can't go online and manage accounts. Called tracfone, selected the call me back option. Wait times were in excess of 30 minutes. When the call came in the distortion and static made the call useless. Asked them to call me back and gave number. No call back.
Great way to goose your call center statistics.

Posts: 1388 | Registered: November 07, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post