SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  What's Your Deal!    Hoa’s suck
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Hoa’s suck Login/Join 
Peace through
superior firepower
Picture of parabellum
posted Hide Post
As with many people, an HOA is not for me. There is simply no way I would put myself in a position to allow one or more of my neighbors to tell me how to tend my home and property. My city has ordinances to deal with property maintenance and that's as far as it will ever go for me. Everyone else can just mind their own business.

Posts: 107258 | Registered: January 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of P250UA5
posted Hide Post
^ That's how our new house is. Loving it.

The Enemy's gate is down.

Posts: 15154 | Location: Spring, TX | Registered: July 11, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Baroque Bloke
Picture of Pipe Smoker
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Flash-LB:
quote:
Originally posted by HRK:
It's similar to those that buy near a gun range and bitch about shooting noise, or in the path of an airport and bitch about plane noise. If that bothers someone, don't buy there...

I'm of the opinion that people who buy near a gun range or an airport do so for financial reasons.

They buy cheap (because nobody wants to live there) and then immediately start trying to get the range or airport shut down.

If they succeed, they'll turn an enormous profit on the deal.

Exactly!

Serious about crackers

Posts: 8854 | Location: San Diego | Registered: July 26, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of iron chef
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Flash-LB:
quote:
Originally posted by HRK:
It's similar to those that buy near a gun range and bitch about shooting noise, or in the path of an airport and bitch about plane noise. If that bothers someone, don't buy there...

I'm of the opinion that people who buy near a gun range or an airport do so for financial reasons.

They buy cheap (because nobody wants to live there) and then immediately start trying to get the range or airport shut down.

If they succeed, they'll turn an enormous profit on the deal.

It worked to close Best of the West gun range in Liberty Hill, TX.

https://www.thetruthaboutguns....-liberty-hill-texas/

Posts: 3172 | Location: Texas | Registered: June 17, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
אַרְיֵה
Picture of V-Tail
posted Hide Post
Our Little Airport has been there for a LONG time.

A developer bought a bunch of land across the highway and created a 55+ community with golf course. As expected, some of the residents of this community started lobbying to get the airport shut down.

What they did not count on, some of the homeowners in that community were pilots, who had bought there because of proximity to the airport. A few of them were on the HOA board. These guys worked with the airport management and obtained an agreement to change the traffic pattern so that there was no air traffic below 1,500' above the housing area, so instead of a constant stream of students practicing take-offs and landings in the traffic pattern, the only airplanes that flew at or below 1,000' over the homes were visiting pilots who had not bothered to read the published airport information prior to arrival, and who ignored the segmented circle (traffic pattern indicator) around the wind sock.

That solution went into effect decades ago; there have been no problems since then.

The airport owners, who are actually everybody who owns a hangar lot on the airport, recently averted a potentially bad situation. Farmland adjacent to the airport on the west side, where the traffic pattern avoids the senior golf community on the east side, had been shut down because the fertilizer and insecticide runoff had been killing the inhabitants of Lake Apopka (gators and other wildlife). A developer was planning to build 500 homes on that land, which very well could have killed the airport.

Airport Owners Association engaged a law firm, and worked with the city, to kill that project and got the land re-zoned for commercial and light industrial, and construction is well underway for a commerce park, which will coexist nicely with the airport.

https://www.aopa.org/news-and-media/all-news/2020/april/07/central-florida-development-project-to-benefit-ga-airport

הרחפת שלי מלאה בצלופחים

Posts: 30545 | Location: Central Florida, Orlando area | Registered: January 03, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Spread the Disease
Picture of flesheatingvirus
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by xmod:
We don’t have $100k to spend on a lawsuit with this person so all it takes is one person to ruin it.

Seems odd. In my old HOA, if you didn’t follow the rules, it was spelled out in the bylaws that you’d get a lien slapped on your property. Are your bylaws not that thorough?

-- Fear is the mind-killer. Fear is the little-death that brings total obliteration. I will face my fear. I will permit it to pass over me and through me. And when it has gone past me I will turn the inner eye to see its path. Where the fear has gone there will be nothing. Only I will remain. --

Posts: 17248 | Location: New Mexico | Registered: October 14, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Shaman
Picture of ScreamingCockatoo
posted Hide Post
This is why I live in the middle of nowhere.
Far away from the inner city and suburban bullshit.
I even have my own shooting range and can throw parties to the likes that would have SAWT called out in some places.

Mind you I have a hour and a half drive to work and cross 2 mountains.
but the seclusion and wildlife are worth it.
I videoed a bobcat on the front lawn yesterday.

He who fights with monsters might take care lest he thereby become a monster.

Posts: 39716 | Location: Atop the cockatoo tree | Registered: July 27, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Only the strong survive
Picture of 41
posted Hide Post
I could write a book about the trespassing and stealing that has occurred on my lot in Loudoun County.

Recently, the neighbors lawn management people dumped their brush on me along about 700 feet of the property. So far the Deputy has failed to charge them.

Several years ago, the owner dumped logs at a place where people were driving over on me when the property was for sale. I had placed pine logs there to block the entrance way. SMILE, YOU ARE ON CANDID CAMERA

Posts: 11828 | Location: Herndon, VA | Registered: June 11, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
quarter MOA visionary
Picture of smschulz
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by xmod:
My hoa is toothless in dealing with one homeowner who won’t follow the rules and openly defies the board. We don’t have $100k to spend on a lawsuit with this person so all it takes is one person to ruin it. We may as well not have an hoa. On top of that, the hoa forced me to plant trees according to the cc&r’s, but it appears I am the only one conforming. Whenever this is brought to the hoa/board it is dismissed - I have no recourse. Part of the problem is the property management company who do their best to keep their position intact but are not very helpful when an issue needs to get resolved.

quote:
Hoa’s suck

More precisely your HOA Sucks (sucks= highly technical term for anything that doesn't go your way).

Sorry 'bout that. Frown

Posts: 22858 | Location: Houston, TX | Registered: June 11, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post