SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  What's Your Deal!    Pine trees and power outages
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Pine trees and power outages Login/Join 
posted Hide Post
Those cable guys and power company guys get threatened regularly. Bricks thrown, shotgun display etc. It seems many people lack the requisite skills to deal with these folks.

Posts: 17164 | Location: Stuck at home | Registered: January 02, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Made from a
different mold
Picture of mutedblade
posted Hide Post
Finally got through to REC. they’re still playing games with “clearing” outages. 5 houses are without power in my immediate vicinity, but they only show 1. They cleared the other 4 so their numbers look better than they actually are. Fucking nonsense. Just quit lying to people. Oh yeah, after they “clear” you and you go back and report it again, the clock resets so the outage looks new, not 5 days old. I’m so over their bullshit games and lies.

Posts: 2824 | Location: Lake Anna, VA | Registered: May 07, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Most utilities have a preplanned restoration plan. Maybe you are just not that important.[LOL}. Being close to essential services helps. Our local power company will not reconnect until the trees are off the line. So livng in the land of lumberjacks, folks clear it themselves. Asplundh does most all of the clearing.
If you have a medical condition that is documented with them you are moved up the list.

Posts: 17164 | Location: Stuck at home | Registered: January 02, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Made from a
different mold
Picture of mutedblade
posted Hide Post
Holy balls. I rejoined Facebook because that seems to be the only way that REC wants to communicate. The hate they are getting right now is fucking awesome. Everyone knows what the problem is (lack of maintenance) and they’re catching hell for it. The Co-op board of directors is nowhere to be seen or heard and they have no contact info available. Even the President John Hewa is not allowing anyone to tell him where to go and how to get there. Keeps posting videos but will not allow comments. What a douche.

Anyway, day 6 has begun and still no relief in sight

Posts: 2824 | Location: Lake Anna, VA | Registered: May 07, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Made from a
different mold
Picture of mutedblade
posted Hide Post
Maybe not a co-op after all?

This explains quite a bit. They don’t want us to know what’s happening and who is lining their pockets with money that should be spent on maintenance!

posted Hide Post
What does the State Public Service Commission have to say about this ? Co-Ops fall under the jurisdiction of the PSC or whatever it's called in your state .

Posts: 3965 | Location: Down in Louisiana . | Registered: February 27, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
They are busy writing up their plea to the Federal Government for taxpayer assistance.

Picture of ridewv
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 41:
Right on. The White Pine was developed as a landscape tree.

Huh? White pines were some of the most useful and sought after trees in America. I'm sure happy to have them here on my property.

The strength and size of Eastern White Pine is so renowned, it may have been a bigger factor in the start of the Revolutionary War than tea and taxes. Light, strong, easy to work with and resistant to rot, Eastern White Pine grew in great abundance all over what would become the Northeast United States, and was in great demand for shipbuilding. With trunks measuring nearly two hundred feet in length, these pines were ideal as the masts of large vessels. Colonists used them for their own ships, and sent them across the sea to other nations. But Great Britain began to claim the largest, strongest trees for their own, sparking discord in an already troubled relationship between the world’s most powerful nation and its independence-craving colony.

No car is as much fun to drive, as any motorcycle is to ride.

Posts: 7034 | Location: Northern WV | Registered: January 17, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Nullus Anxietas
Picture of ensigmatic
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 41:

One rather doubts the vast tracts of white pine trees in the U.S. northeast were planted as landscape trees--particularly since they existed long before North America was colonized

"America is at that awkward stage. It's too late to work within the system,,,, but too early to shoot the bastards." -- Claire Wolfe
"If we let things terrify us, life will not be worth living." -- Seneca the Younger, Roman Stoic philosopher

Posts: 25993 | Location: S.E. Michigan | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
We have long leaf and slash pine. Used for pulpwood and destroying roofs in high winds which are not an infrequent occurrence.

posted Hide Post
Consumers Energy in Michigan is terrible about performing maintenance. This spring through fall, nearly every storm took down power in my area for varying lengths of time due to trees falling on wires.

We still have some trees with paint they marked a couple of years ago in surveys they've not done anything with.

We've already got the 11th highest rates in the nation, but they've managed to get another rate increase through.

They love to tout their quick response to outages, but I make sure to post that while I'm appreciative of the outages being dealt with, I'd be even more appreciative if they'd do reasonable maintenance to prevent the outages in the first place, especially since we pay some of the highest rates in the country. I might feel differently if they'd reimburse my fuel costs when I have to become my own power company, but since they won't do that, they need to get off their backsides and do some serious maintenance and tree removal in the entire area.

-------------
$

Posts: 7655 | Location: Mid-Michigan, USA | Registered: February 17, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Made from a
different mold
Picture of mutedblade
posted Hide Post
Day 7. No changes. I laugh as I drive by and see trees with notches for the lines. It’s amazing how easily these people lie. I’ll be on a quest to take pictures to submit to the utility commission once I get a chance just so the state will know exactly what we’re seeing. Maybe next fall/winter will be different if I can get Governor Younkin to see just how fucked it all is

Picture of ridewv
posted Hide Post
That's horrible service, I feel for you mutedblade. The longest I've been w/o power was 4 days and I'm at the end of the line in a rural area. After three days I was really tiring of listening to my portable generator running on the porch for 2-3 hours at a time!

Posts: 7034 | Location: Northern WV | Registered: January 17, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Made from a
different mold
Picture of mutedblade
posted Hide Post

I didn’t even have to go 1/2 a mile before I found this spot. These bastards keep lying to people saying that the storm caused the outages. Simple lack of maintenance is the issue but you’ll never hear them acknowledge it. I’ve contacted the Division of Public Utility Regulation of the State Corporation Commission but I expect it to fall on deaf ears. I’ve sent an email to Glenn Younkin too in hopes that once he takes over on the 15th, he’ll put a foot to someone’s ass and get shit like this fixed. REC is claiming only 15,000 without power but based on what I’m seeing, it’s close to double that. They “clear” outages and we have to resubmit which resets when the outage occurred. Games. They also skip over areas that only have 1 or 2 outages (most are just fuses that take about 5 minutes to fix) and drive 2 hours to another “major” outage. You know, 300 meters running makes more than 3 Roll Eyes I’ve been told midweek next week before I get power. Mind you, everyone but me and 3 other homes have power. Trucks go by my house regularly but none stop to fix a very simple issue

Only the strong survive
Picture of 41
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ridewv:
quote:
Originally posted by 41:

Huh? White pines were some of the most useful and sought after trees in America. I'm sure happy to have them here on my property.

The strength and size of Eastern White Pine is so renowned, it may have been a bigger factor in the start of the Revolutionary War than tea and taxes. Light, strong, easy to work with and resistant to rot, Eastern White Pine grew in great abundance all over what would become the Northeast United States, and was in great demand for shipbuilding. With trunks measuring nearly two hundred feet in length, these pines were ideal as the masts of large vessels. Colonists used them for their own ships, and sent them across the sea to other nations. But Great Britain began to claim the largest, strongest trees for their own, sparking discord in an already troubled relationship between the world’s most powerful nation and its independence-craving colony.

The original White Pine has nine different species or cultivars that are registered.

The North American species of 5 needle pines are listed below.

Pinus aristita

Pinus labertiana

Pinus albicaulis

Pinus balfouriana

Pinus monticola

Pinus strobiformis

Pinus longaeva

Pinus strobus

Pinus flexilis

When seeds are collected it is very important that their origin is carefully and adequately recorded. This is because trees, and all organisms, must be adapted to their environment to survive and thrive. The source of the seeds, therefore, will define their genetic makeup and subsequently the adaptation of the seedlings to certain environments.

https://www.fs.usda.gov/nsl/Ge...FiveNeedlePines.html

Then there is other species that is used for landscaping which have weak structure prone to breakage during storms. It is best to get the White Pine from a tree nursery:

https://www.musserforests.com/browse.asp?m=3&p=20

The White Pines I bought from this nursery have never had any damage due to storms and were planted in 1987.

Posts: 11828 | Location: Herndon, VA | Registered: June 11, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Made from a
different mold
Picture of mutedblade
posted Hide Post
Power is now on. Had to chase the guys down to get it done though. They begrudgingly called a supervisor to see if they were “allowed” since I hadn’t been assigned to them. Funny thing was they were just pissing about until their next assignment came in. What a fucking joke this whole debacle has been.

Adding: it took less than 10 minutes to get it all done and most of that was spent on the phone with a supervisor

Picture of ridewv
posted Hide Post
Thank God it's back on for you.

posted Hide Post
You know a lot of people have been working to get power back on for you and everyone else. I know of a small coop in NW Pa. that sent a crew to help. That's almost 400 miles. I saw a convoy of power trucks from NC heading up Rt 30 after the storm. It's frustrating but there a lot of good people working dawn to dusk everyday.
Glad your power is back on.

Posts: 1101 | Location: Toano, Va.  | Registered: January 11, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
It's pronounced just
the way it's spelled
posted Hide Post
You might want to check with the local government, when I was still with the electric company we got a lot of blow back from the municipalities about trimming those big old scenic trees away from the power lines. And then they would bitch when a storm hit and branches took down the lines.

But the power company does put a higher priority on returning 300 customers to service over 3. And circuits with hospitals, police & fire departments get priority. Along with the politicians, unforturnately.

Posts: 1497 | Location: Arid Zone A | Registered: February 14, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Made from a
different mold
Picture of mutedblade
posted Hide Post
REC called me to double check that my power was back on....only because there's a complaint that was filed with the utilities commission. Nice to know how to get some kind of result now. Guy from commission in Richmond called about 10 minutes later and said that he'd keep the complaint open until I get to speak with board of directors/president of the co-op. If they never talk to me, the complaint will remain open which affects their ability to ask for rate changes Big Grin . They brought this on themselves with shitty maintenance which lead to the outages, piss poor planning in mobilizing to fix, and lack of communication after the outages.