SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  What's Your Deal!    Problem with SIGforum locking up
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Problem with SIGforum locking up Login/Join 
posted
Recently I have been experiencing a situation where I might browse a couple or few posts here on the forum and then when I click to go to another post the site stalls out and my browser status line just stays at about 1/4 downloaded.

Just wondered if anyone else is experiencing this on SIGforum.

EDIT to add, I am running Safari on OSX, two different machines this has happened on over the past few days.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: straightshooter01,

Posts: 1994 | Location: DFW Texas | Registered: March 13, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Little ray
of sunshine
Picture of jhe888
posted Hide Post
Nope.

The fish is mute, expressionless. The fish doesn't think because the fish knows everything.

Posts: 53118 | Location: Texas | Registered: February 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Firearms Enthusiast
Picture of Mustang-PaPa
posted Hide Post
Its happened a few times on my laptop most recently yesterday afternoon but I can pick up my iphone and access the forum no problems.

Posts: 18016 | Location: South West of Fort Worth, Tx. | Registered: December 26, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Oriental Redneck
Picture of 12131
posted Hide Post
No problem here.

Q

Posts: 26204 | Location: TEXAS | Registered: September 04, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Drug Dealer
Picture of Jim Shugart
posted Hide Post
I haven't notic

When a thing is funny, search it carefully for a hidden truth. - George Bernard Shaw

Posts: 15471 | Location: Virginia | Registered: July 03, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Drug Dealer
Picture of Jim Shugart
posted Hide Post
ed anything like that. Big Grin

When a thing is funny, search it carefully for a hidden truth. - George Bernard Shaw

Posts: 15471 | Location: Virginia | Registered: July 03, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Caught in a loop
posted Hide Post
Try clearing your history, cookies and cache.

I haven't experienced your issues but this is my first diagnostic step when I do have browser issues.

"In order to understand recursion, you must first learn the principle of recursion."

Posts: 3349 | Location: Memphis, TN | Registered: August 23, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Technically Adaptive
posted Hide Post
Yup, happened a few times last couple days. Yesterday though, unknown if related, Verizon internet and phone were down for about an hour. I'm running IMac with Safari , Cleared cookies and history yesterday. Since then, no problems.

Posts: 1288 | Location: Willcox, AZ | Registered: September 24, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Little ray
of sunshine
Picture of jhe888
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Jim Shugart:
ed anything like that. Big Grin

Well done.

The fish is mute, expressionless. The fish doesn't think because the fish knows everything.

Posts: 53118 | Location: Texas | Registered: February 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
It happens to me as well. Every time, despite which browser I use. clean cache. After about 3 clicks it freezes, then, after a wait, it usually proceeds although not always.

I use an ipad. Didn’t use to have this pproblem.

Posts: 1605 | Location: Texas Hill Country | Registered: April 07, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Savor the limelight
posted Hide Post
Are your dues paid up?

Posts: 10824 | Location: SWFL | Registered: October 10, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Nullus Anxietas
Picture of ensigmatic
posted Hide Post
Problems with your ISP?

There was a localized issue with Comcast in my area a couple nights ago. For two or three hours I was seeing up to better than 50% packet loss to everywhere on the Internet.

When I called it in they were already aware of it.

"America is at that awkward stage. It's too late to work within the system,,,, but too early to shoot the bastards." -- Claire Wolfe
"If we let things terrify us, life will not be worth living." -- Seneca the Younger, Roman Stoic philosopher

Posts: 26009 | Location: S.E. Michigan | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Don’t have the problem with any other sites. Perhaps I’m in the penalty box for a breach of forum etiquette?

Posts: 1605 | Location: Texas Hill Country | Registered: April 07, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Well the issue is getting worse. Can open the forum look at one maybe two posts then on the third post it locks up. Using the latest OSX and latest Safari. I am typing this using Firefox and it seems to be working ok for now. I was wondering if the ISP was monitoring and restricting SigForum access but it may be more of a Safari problem. I dont have the problem with any other sites that I am aware of which is what made it so suspicious to me.

Posts: 1994 | Location: DFW Texas | Registered: March 13, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of henryaz
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by straightshooter01:
Using the latest OSX and latest Safari.

it may be more of a Safari problem.

I am not agreeing it to be a Safari problem. It could be elsewhere, but I dropped Safari a few years ago for reasons similar to this. It just did not render correctly with certain web sites (but it always used to render SIGforum without any problems). Since then, I have been using a Chrome-based browser, Vivaldi, on macOS. There are other Chrome-based browsers, (Edge, Opera, e.g.) and of course Chrome itself. Perhaps give one of those a try?

Vivaldi is a sweet browser. If you take the time to work through the multitude of settings, its UI is very flexible.

When in doubt, mumble

Posts: 10778 | Location: South Congress AZ | Registered: May 27, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
אַרְיֵה
Picture of V-Tail
posted Hide Post
I'm using Safari 16.3, OSX Ventura 13.2.1 on a MacBook Air M1 with no problem. Older iMac with High Sierra in the hangar office, no problem there either.

Any chance that you're connected to a flaky DNS server? At one time, the DNS that I was using had intermittent problems resolving SIGforum.com, I changed DNS setting and now problems since.

הרחפת שלי מלאה בצלופחים

Posts: 30545 | Location: Central Florida, Orlando area | Registered: January 03, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Peace through
superior firepower
Picture of parabellum
posted Hide Post
It may be an issue with Safari interacting with our Eve platform. I believe Crowdstack is no longer offering Eve to new customers and a couple of years ago, I was advised by our host that it may be time to move to something newer. Eve was created before the smartphone era and there are some scalability issues with this software when viewed on portable devices.

The conversation about our platform becoming dated and the possibility of moving to something newer was with Crowdstack's chief operating officer, someone with whom I have had a long and cordial relationship. When I expressed my strong desire to remain where we are, they agreed to this.

The backend of this platform, I know so very well and it eases my duties. This and my reluctance to move to any software which may change the smooth appearance of the forum are the reasons why I wish things to remain as they are. I can't say I'm familiar with the appearance of all current gun discussion forums, but I feel like SIGforum is the best-looking of all of them, with the lack of clutter on the pages and the mellow earth-tone color palate I chose long ago. The colors, we can keep, but I don't want to change the layout, or have to spend months fumbling around the backend of a new platform, or have objects which appear by default on pages, which I would be unable to remove. And I think that you guys wouldn't like a more cluttered appearance any more than I would.

At some point, though, I may have no choice in the matter, and rumblings about the forum locking up with a particular browser may be the first distant peals of thunder of problems to come.

Posts: 107261 | Registered: January 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Blume9mm
posted Hide Post
I'm using Safari 15.6.1 and it works fine... I'd suspect it is either the OP's computer being overloaded or his server.

My Native American Name:
"Runs with Scissors"

Posts: 4441 | Location: Greenville, SC | Registered: January 30, 2017Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Baroque Bloke
Picture of Pipe Smoker
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by maxdog:
It happens to me as well. Every time, despite which browser I use. clean cache. After about 3 clicks it freezes, then, after a wait, it usually proceeds although not always.

I use an ipad. Didn’t use to have this pproblem.

Try a power-off reset. I do that for my iPhone at least once a week.

Serious about crackers

Posts: 8854 | Location: San Diego | Registered: July 26, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Striker in waiting
Picture of BurtonRW
posted Hide Post
FWIW, I've had no problems with SigForum on my iPhone, running Safari. I agree with the suggestion to reboot the phone when an issue like that pops up.

There's really no other way to force a hard reset of any app. It's not bad for the iOS either.

Para - I have always appreciated the clean and slick look of SF, as I'm sure many of us who also frequent more "cluttered" forums do. I'm not well versed in the more technical aspects of running a forum from the back end, but if it would be feasible to hire someone to optimize what we have for mobile use vs. changing platforms to accomplish that same goal, I'd gladly pitch in to cover the cost. I know you've always rebuffed our offers to pay for membership here, but maybe you'd feel differently about a one-time maintenance project? If it comes to that.

-Rob

I predict that there will be many suggestions and statements about the law made here, and some of them will be spectacularly wrong. - jhe888

A=A

Posts: 16263 | Location: Maryland, AA Co. | Registered: March 16, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post