SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  What's Your Deal!    Cash is not a check!
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Cash is not a check! Login/Join 
Picture of rtquig
posted
I own a 2012 Travel trailer that is seldom used. Occasionally someone will knock on the door and ask is it for sale. I don't want to sell it and don't know its value so I tell them 15K. I get sob stories that they need it for relatives, someone just put out of their home etc.

Last week a guy knocks on the door and I tell him the usual 15K price. He immediately says OK and can he take it next weekend and he will pay cash. I tell him let me think about it over night and will give him an answer tomorrow. He then again tells me cash. I respond cash and not a check right? He tells me a check is as good as cash and he needs to tow the trailer to Florida right away.
I'm not taking a check from a stranger only green cash. He tells me his company's name. When I looked up his business 2 reviews say not to trust the company as he is a scam artist.
The next day I tell him no sale, I'm holding on to it for another year. Again, he offers cash (check).
A check is not cash!

Living the Dream

Posts: 4016 | Location: New Jersey | Registered: December 06, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Not very sophisticated. Send him a bill for your time.

Posts: 17250 | Location: Stuck at home | Registered: January 02, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Void Where Prohibited
Picture of WaterburyBob
posted Hide Post
Yeah, sounds like a scam artist.
If he could write a check for $15K he could easily withdraw that money and hand it to you.

His wanting to go with personal check payment pretty much says the check would be bad.

"If Gun Control worked, Chicago would look like Mayberry, not Thunderdome" - Cam Edwards

Posts: 16525 | Location: Under the Boot of Tyranny in Connectistan | Registered: February 02, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
My neighbor took a check when she sold her double wide mobile home.
In AZ.

She kept the title until she gotten a letter from the bank that the check had cleared and all is well to xfer the title

It took 19 days

Safety, Situational Awareness and proficiency.

Neck Ties, Hats and ammo brass, Never ,ever touch'em w/o asking first

Posts: 54663 | Location: Henry County , Il | Registered: February 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
His diet consists of black
coffee, and sarcasm.
Picture of egregore
posted Hide Post
quote:
I'm not taking a check from a stranger only green cash.

You can't even depend on that. It might be counterfeit.

Posts: 27971 | Location: Johnson City, TN | Registered: April 28, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of rtquig
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by egregore:
quote:

You are right on that. I sold a neighbor a Weatherby 12 Guage a couple years ago. He paid me what I was asking. I put the money aside until I got to my LGS. Guess what? One of the $100 bills was counterfeit. He tried to say I switched bills. I told him no problem, I'll report the sale and counterfeit bill. He came up with real money.

Living the Dream

Posts: 4016 | Location: New Jersey | Registered: December 06, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of rtquig
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by bendable:
My neighbor took a check when she sold her double wide mobile home.
In AZ.

She kept the title until she gotten a letter from the bank that the check had cleared and all is well to xfer the title

It took 19 days

I would normally do that but him immediately leaving the state with the RV was a red flag to me.

Living the Dream

Picture of Blume9mm
posted Hide Post
I was told a couple years ago by someone who works in banking that it takes 24 hours to clear a check now, at the most.

I work for myself and I prefer a check over cash.... but and this is a big BUTT, I'm working in on on people's homes and know where they live.

Anyone that trys the "check is the same as cash" is obviously trying something.

As rtquig said: he also told you he was headed out of state... now that's a no brainer... hell if he had to come back to get it he could have gone to his bank and got the cash... obviously a crook.

My Native American Name:
"Runs with Scissors"

Posts: 4441 | Location: Greenville, SC | Registered: January 30, 2017Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Ice age heat wave,
cant complain.
Picture of MikeGLI
posted Hide Post
Something stinks, he was up to no good.

NRA Life Member
Steak: Rare. Coffee: Black. Bourbon: Neat.

Posts: 9695 | Location: Orlando, Florida | Registered: July 12, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Well, you see, I have to make this trip to Florida tomorrow, help out a family member, so let me give you this check while I finish packing to leave the state.

OK, friend, how about you and I go down to your bank right now, I'll cash that check and sign over the title to you then.

Retired holster maker.
Retired police chief.
Formerly Sergeant, US Army Airborne Infantry, Pathfinders

Posts: 1097 | Location: Colorado | Registered: March 07, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I would tell him yeah, we will drive to the bank with your check and cash it and you can hand me the cash and then you can take it. Some people do need to buy with a check for tax purposes but they could meet you at their bank, where you could cash the check and then hand over title at the same time.

Posts: 21335 | Registered: June 12, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of IndianaMike
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by egregore:
quote:

This is true.
It would take some time to look at $15000 in Bills to Verify

Posts: 1604 | Location: NORTHEAST INDIANA | Registered: August 18, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Non-Miscreant
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by IndianaMike:

It would take some time to look at $15000 in Bills to Verify

I'd guess that if you cashed the check at the bank, the bank would give you good bills.

Unhappy ammo seeker

Posts: 18389 | Location: Kentucky, USA | Registered: February 25, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
That rug really tied
the room together.
Picture of bubbatime
posted Hide Post
If you are going to a bank, just have them give a certified cashiers check (or whatever it’s called)

This scam is old as dirt.

Scumbag with fake checks , lives off the grid, steals his next camper by paying with a bad check. White trash at its finest.

Posts: 6662 | Location: Floriduh | Registered: October 16, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Cash is not even cash until I hit it with my counterfeit test pen.

Posts: 1092 | Location: Michigan | Registered: June 11, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
Maybe not even then. The pens are quite unreliable.

Posts: 17250 | Location: Stuck at home | Registered: January 02, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Rawny
posted Hide Post
Isn't that 3D ribbon on the bill an easy way to tell a real Benjamin?

Posts: 2662 | Location: San Hozay, KA | Registered: August 09, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post