SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  What's Your Deal!    Chicago O'Hare
Page 1 2 3 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Chicago O'Hare Login/Join 
Savor the limelight
posted Hide Post
Pelston has a nice airport. Link

Posts: 11508 | Location: SWFL | Registered: October 10, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Q. Can O'Hare possibly get any worse?

A. Yes.

Changed planes at ORD this morning, there's major construction W of the United terminals that has closed multiple taxiways. It slows down ground movements BIG TIME.

Flew MLI-ORD-FAR (United Express E175 both legs) and taxiing was very s l o w. I foolishly set up a 45 minute connection and barely made it.

On the bright side, I have an hour when I fly home on Thursday. Yes, an hour is cutting it real close at ORD. My other option was six hours.

Posts: 15991 | Location: Eastern Iowa | Registered: May 21, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Like a party
in your pants
Picture of armored
posted Hide Post
I live near O'Hare and the noise, now that they re-configured the run ways and spent Billions doing so, I now have a new run way directly lining up with my house. The end of the runway is about 4.7 miles from my house and .14 miles south.
When planes are taking off and the engines are pointed in my direction the whole house shakes and the windows rattle. Nothing like a fully loaded 747 cargo plane taking off after midnight, one after the other.
A new multi billion dollar plan is in the works to re build all the terminals, that should be a real cluster fuck.

For those that say you should not have bought a house by an airport, I lived in this house before O'Hare was even conceived.

Posts: 4678 | Location: Chicago, IL, USA: | Registered: November 17, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Like a party
in your pants
Picture of armored
posted Hide Post
O'Hare offer for parking.

I live very near the terminals at O'Hare. About 10 minutes.
If a Forum member would want to drive to my house they can park at my house and either I could drive you to your terminal or you could take a short taxi or Uber or the Blue Line train to your terminal.
If you find yourself in a need to park your car while you fly and want a secure area to park for free, contact me.

Posts: 4678 | Location: Chicago, IL, USA: | Registered: November 17, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Prepared for the Worst, Providing the Best
Picture of 92fstech
posted Hide Post
Armored, that's a very generous offer!

Got a message today from our group leader that Alaska Airlines is giving us a $100 credit per-ticket due to the delay. I definitely didn't expect that, and didn't blame them for the O'Hare debacle in the first place, so that was a pretty awesome gesture on their part. Guess we have to go back to Alaska now Big Grin.

Posts: 9122 | Location: In the Cornfields | Registered: May 25, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by armored:
I live near O'Hare and the noise, now that they re-configured the run ways and spent Billions doing so, I now have a new run way directly lining up with my house. The end of the runway is about 4.7 miles from my house and .14 miles south.
When planes are taking off and the engines are pointed in my direction the whole house shakes and the windows rattle. Nothing like a fully loaded 747 cargo plane taking off after midnight, one after the other.
A new multi billion dollar plan is in the works to re build all the terminals, that should be a real cluster fuck.

For those that say you should not have bought a house by an airport, I lived in this house before O'Hare was even conceived.

Lol, when I bought my home in Norwood Park, the first night there, I heard those 747's you speak of taking off. I honestly thought the Russians had dropped a nuke.

Posts: 5783 | Location: Chicago | Registered: August 18, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
O'Hare offer for parking.

I live very near the terminals at O'Hare. About 10 minutes.
If a Forum member would want to drive to my house they can park at my house and either I could drive you to your terminal or you could take a short taxi or Uber or the Blue Line train to your terminal.
If you find yourself in a need to park your car while you fly and want a secure area to park for free, contact me.

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
Very kind of you. My brother usually picks me up when I fly into OHare. He is a firefighter and seems to know exactly when I will be standing outside. Parking at OHare is ridiculous.

Posts: 17435 | Location: Stuck at home | Registered: January 02, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Eschew Obfuscation
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Bulldog7972:

Lol, when I bought my home in Norwood Park, the first night there, I heard those 747's you speak of taking off. I honestly thought the Russians had dropped a nuke.

It seems that 747s are now mostly used for cargo. I live about 20 miles northwest of O'Hare and they come over my house inbound from Alaska. Even though they are at about 9,000-10,000 feet, and are in landing mode, there is no mistaking those powerful engines.

Posts: 6554 | Location: Chicago, IL | Registered: December 17, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Like a party
in your pants
Picture of armored
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Bulldog7972:
quote:
Originally posted by armored:

Small World, do you still live in Norwood Park?
I live in Old Norwood on N.East Circle ave.

posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by V-Tail:
quote:
Originally posted by RichardC:

genuine Chicago Dogs!

Darned if they weren't much better than the ersatz ones we had back home.
Chicago dogs were great "street food!" One of the things I liked about living in that city, fifty years ago (when they had a real, no-nonsense mayor).

If you ever have reason to get over to my area (adjacent to Orlando), Chicago Dog & Co. on West SR 436 herein Altamonte Springs, has really good Chicago style hot dogs, including their Chicago Dog, Polish Sausage, Ditka Dog, and Maxwell Street Polish. Try one of each, followed by an Alka-Seltzer (plop, plop, fizz, fizz).

I have to disagree with you.

Hot Dog Heaven on State Rd. 50 just west of 436 has the best hot dogs in town.

Posts: 479 | Location: Florida | Registered: November 16, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I used to enjoy flying years ago, but some many things have changed that I also prefer to drive. That way the luggage doesn't get lost, I won't have to worry about my handguns getting stolen either.

If I do fly I will take a direct flight to the location, or as close as I can get and then drive the rest of the way there.

Another thing I take into consideration is if I am flying into the northeast in winter I do not want to get diverted into New York because my airport is shut down due to weather. I always fly with handguns so I have changed my reservations in the past just to be cautious.

Posts: 479 | Location: Florida | Registered: November 16, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
teacher of history
Picture of maxwayne
posted Hide Post
When I met my now wife, she and her folks lived in Des Plaines very near O'Hare. If we were sitting out in the yard, all conversations stopped when the plane was overhead and that was every 60 seconds.

Her girlfriend and her husband got a cheap apartment somewhere on the other side of the airport and the floor and walls continually shook and it was very difficult to talk.

Posts: 5676 | Location: Central Illinois | Registered: March 04, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Like a party
in your pants
Picture of armored
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by maxwayne:
When I met my now wife, she and her folks lived in Des Plaines very near O'Hare. If we were sitting out in the yard, all conversations stopped when the plane was overhead and that was every 60 seconds.

Her girlfriend and her husband got a cheap apartment somewhere on the other side of the airport and the floor and walls continually shook and it was very difficult to talk.

For me its 40sec, actually less when you realize that you will not be able to continue a conversation much before and after, a good 20sec is more realistic.

So comforting that the Politicians can ruin hundreds of thousands of peoples lives and act like nothing happened or blame somebody else.