SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  What's Your Deal!    Having Hobbit feet and trying to find decent boots
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Having Hobbit feet and trying to find decent boots Login/Join 
Do No Harm,
Do Know Harm
posted
Grrrrr

I have short but wide feet. Size 8-9, depending on the brand.

For years I have tried to find decent boots that were comfortable. And all black, for work.

Keens are the only brand in which I can reliably find properly fitting boots. I’ve got four pairs right now. But I want a combat boot style to have in the rotation.

Years ago I had some Nike jungle type boots that were comfortable, but they didn’t hold up very well.

Just got some 5.11s that I thought were going to work. Nope. Even the wides were too flipping narrow. Gonna take them back tomorrow.

I’d gladly pay $500 for a pair of custom ones if I knew for certain they would fit. But all the companies are too far away for an in-person visit, and I don’t trust measurements at home to produce the proper fit.

So damned aggravating. The symptom is a squeeze that doesn’t improve around the middle to front third of my foot. Drives me insane and hurts for hours after. In the 5.11s my foot is actually wider than the damn sole. But if you measure me on the shoe store doohickey, it says I’m a regular width.

Damned Hobbit feet.

I have a pair of Bates jump boots that are 20 years old and have been resoled three times. But they have stretched through the years and I have to wear my thickest socks with them now to avoid blisters.

I’m complaining because I don’t expect any solutions. I’m 40 and have been dealing with this for a long time.

Knowing what one is talking about is widely admired but not strictly required here.

Although sometimes distracting, there is often a certain entertainment value to this easy standard.
-JALLEN

"All I need is a WAR ON DRUGS reference and I got myself a police thread BINGO." -jljones

Posts: 11448 | Location: NC | Registered: August 16, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fighting the good fight
Picture of RogueJSK
posted Hide Post
I feel your pain. I'm size 12.5/13 EEEE on the shoe chart, which is hard enough to find as it is, but the bigger issue is that my feet are boxy with wide toes... Which is not the shape that most shoes come in. Finding shoes that fit correctly has been a lifelong struggle for me.

Posts: 32509 | Location: Northwest Arkansas | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Save an Elephant
Kill a Poacher
Picture of urbanwarrior238
posted Hide Post
Run don't walk to this boot. These are the most comfortable boot I have ever worn. I have had ones you mentioned plus others in a 30 year career and when I found these, after retirement, I found the mother load. We live on the side of a mountain, walking is at an angle in many places. All my other boots were almost ankle busting. Came across these Solomon Forces and now traction is no problem and they are LIGHT weight (maybe little over a pound each) and comfortable. Excellent traction sole, so much so that I will wear these year round instead of tennis shoes. 2-years on my current yard pair and still going strong.

If you get a pair, would love to hear your 'comfort' stories.

https://www.us-elitegear.com/p...riant=39621421629517

'I am the danger'...Hiesenberg
NRA Certified Pistol Instructor
NRA Certified Rifle Instructor
NRA Life Member

Posts: 1376 | Location: Escaped from Kalifornia to Arizona February 2022! | Registered: March 02, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Res ipsa loquitur
Picture of BB61
posted Hide Post
Have you tried Red Wing? They have a lot of styles and sizes. For example:

https://www.redwingshoes.com/w...Exos-Lite-02455.html

Posts: 12466 | Registered: October 13, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Get my pies
outta the oven!

Picture of PASig
posted Hide Post
C'mon you know you want them...LOL

Have you looked at Birkenstock? They were made for wide feet, and they make a boot:

I used to wear Birkenstock chef shoes when I did that line of work and they were very comfy for my super wide feet

Birkenstock Prescott

Posts: 33812 | Location: Pennsylvania | Registered: November 12, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Step by step walk the thousand mile road
Picture of Sig2340
posted Hide Post
If you have Hobbit feet, I have elephant feet, size 11 9E.

Fats Waller wrote about my feet in Your Feets' Too Big when he said:

quote:
Say, up in Harlem at a table for two
There were four of us: me, your big feet, and you

Try bigandwideshoes.com.

I buy my shoes there.

Nice is overrated

"It's every freedom-loving individual's duty to lie to the government."
Airsoftguy, June 29, 2018

Posts: 31443 | Location: Loudoun County, Virginia | Registered: May 17, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Age Quod Agis
Picture of ArtieS
posted Hide Post
Console yourself with the fact that it takes a giant foundation to support enormous testicles.

Then the pain will fade.

It's always worked for me.

"I vowed to myself to fight against evil more completely and more wholeheartedly than I ever did before. . . . That’s the only way to pay back part of that vast debt, to live up to and try to fulfill that tremendous obligation."

Alfred Hornik, Sunday, December 2, 1945 to his family, on his continuing duty to others for surviving WW II.

Posts: 12779 | Location: Central Florida | Registered: November 02, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Inject yourself!
posted Hide Post
Same. Many shoes my feet will hang over the soles. For boots, I’ve been really happy with Lowa. Size 8.5 Renegade for example. Normally need a wide but the regular works for me and is still snug in the heel.

I don’t know if these are black enough for uniform: https://www.lowaboots.com/mens...gade-gtx-mid?v=38865

Or maybe these, I imagine they’d take a polish decently enough.

https://www.lowaboots.com/mens...ical/r-6-gtx?v=34802

I had some Belleville desert boots that lasted and fit well.

https://www.bellevilleboot.com...product_detail&p=143

Do not send me to a heaven where there are no dogs.
Step Up or Stand Aside: Support the Troops !
Expectations are premeditated disappointments.

Posts: 8344 | Location: West | Registered: November 26, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I have two pair of 12 y.o. Red wing hiking boots that I've kept in better than ok condition.

They stopped making them 16 months after I purchased them.

Size 14 three E.
My orthodics fit , my feet fit, but they are 1/3 heavier than I like.

Safety, Situational Awareness and proficiency.

Neck Ties, Hats and ammo brass, Never ,ever touch'em w/o asking first

Posts: 54644 | Location: Henry County , Il | Registered: February 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Raised Hands Surround Us
Three Nails To Protect Us
Picture of Black92LX
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Riley:
Same. Many shoes my feet will hang over the soles. For boots, I’ve been really happy with Lowa. Size 8.5 Renegade for example. Normally need a wide but the regular works for me and is still snug in the heel.

I don’t know if these are black enough for uniform: https://www.lowaboots.com/mens...gade-gtx-mid?v=38865

Or maybe these, I imagine they’d take a polish decently enough.

https://www.lowaboots.com/mens...ical/r-6-gtx?v=34802

I had some Belleville desert boots that lasted and fit well.

https://www.bellevilleboot.com...product_detail&p=143

I wear the 2nd pair of Lowas as my duty boots. They are excellent

————————————————
The world's not perfect, but it's not that bad.
If we got each other, and that's all we have.
I will be your brother, and I'll hold your hand.
You should know I'll be there for you!

Posts: 25423 | Registered: September 06, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of carriganzl
posted Hide Post
I wear size 10 in EEE (sometimes EEEE) and I have started wearing and LOVE Jim Green African Rangers. I was skeptical at first because they don't come in a "wide" size, but right out of the box, they fit my feet better and way more comfortable than any other boots I have tried including Red Wings.

Jim Green does have some boots on Amazon but their website has fast shipping and free returns as well if you don't like them.

Jim Green African Ranger

If you need more tactical they also have the AR8 in all black.

Jim Green AR8

SCUBA Diving, going down is what we do best.

Posts: 955 | Location: Western NC | Registered: July 21, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Spread the Disease
Picture of flesheatingvirus
posted Hide Post
You don't need an in-person visit to custom bootmakers like White's or Nick's. You literally trace your foot while standing on a printed template. I have a pair from each that I had them make after giving them a trace and some other measurements.

They do fit (after a FUN break-in period Wink).

If you are worried, I believe White's does allow you to return a single pair if they still don't meet your expectations.

-- Fear is the mind-killer. Fear is the little-death that brings total obliteration. I will face my fear. I will permit it to pass over me and through me. And when it has gone past me I will turn the inner eye to see its path. Where the fear has gone there will be nothing. Only I will remain. --

Posts: 17278 | Location: New Mexico | Registered: October 14, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Honky Lips
Picture of FenderBender
posted Hide Post
All black and good for wide feet

https://jimgreenfootwear.com/s...frican-ranger-black/

Also pretty cool charity set up.

Posts: 8146 | Registered: July 24, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Blinded by
the Sun
Picture of GA Gator
posted Hide Post
AE “combat boot” come in 8-9 EEE.

------------------------------
Smart is not something you are but something you get.

Chi Chi, get the yayo

Posts: 4786 | Location: Home | Registered: April 27, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post