SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  What's Your Deal!    Abuse of the word "vintage".
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Abuse of the word "vintage". Login/Join 
Three Generations
of Service
Picture of PHPaul
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by bigpond73:
Don't turn on the radio Paul.

Turned on "classic rock" the other day, and it was Soundgarden. Eek

Maybe we're just getting old......

One of the advantages of being hard of hearing...I never bother to turn the radio on in my vehicles. Not sure the one in my RAV4 even works, haven't tried it since I bought the car.

Might have to get a CD player for the shop tho. I was down there futzing with a snowblower governor and got to thinking how quiet it was in there. Most of the time I'm using noisy tools and wearing muffs.

Be careful when following the masses. Sometimes the M is silent.

Posts: 15209 | Location: Downeast Maine | Registered: March 10, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of sigcrazy7
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by shovelhead:
quote:
Originally posted by 19tass:
How about "classic car"? You know, the one sitting in chest high weeds with the hood up, that's rusted into oblivion :-)

Probably around 1999-2000 a young guy come to the parts counter in the Pontiac dealership I worked at. He said he was restoring a antique car and needed some parts. When I asked him,what he was working on he said “1980 Chevette”

Lost my mouth filter that day, looked at him and said “Why?”

He still bought several hundred dollars in parts over the next few months though!

Hold on just a dang minute. You drop a 350 in a Chevette along with a locking rear, and you’ve got yourself the most capable dry pavement donut machine on the planet!

The 80s. I miss it so.

Demand not that events should happen as you wish; but wish them to happen as they do happen, and you will go on well. -Epictetus

Posts: 8214 | Location: Utah | Registered: December 18, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Page late and a dollar short
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by sigcrazy7:
quote:
quote:
How about "classic car"? You know, the one sitting in chest high weeds with the hood up, that's rusted into oblivion :-)

Probably around 1999-2000 a young guy come to the parts counter in the Pontiac dealership I worked at. He said he was restoring a antique car and needed some parts. When I asked him,what he was working on he said “1980 Chevette”

He still bought several hundred dollars in parts over the next few months though!

Hold on just a dang minute. You drop a 350 in a Chevette along with a locking rear, and you’ve got yourself the most capable dry pavement donut machine on the planet!

The 80s. I miss it so.

New, he was rebuilding the 1.6 also. The only two ways it could have been worse, one way of it was a ‘81 or later with the computer system or one of the Isuzu Diesels, think those were 1.4L if memory’s correct. Only ever had one of those to deal with, a traveler. Came into the dealership wanting a fuel filter and to ask why his car ran so bad, no power. I’m sure a good part of that was a non turbo engine at a minimum 4600 feet above sea level but he wasn’t buying that.

-------------------------------------——————
————————--Ignorance is a powerful tool if applied at the right time, even, usually, surpassing knowledge(E.J.Potter, A.K.A. The Michigan Madman)

Posts: 8099 | Location: Livingston County Michigan USA | Registered: August 11, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
His diet consists of black
coffee, and sarcasm.
Picture of egregore
posted Hide Post
In my view, "vintage" is from ~1940 to ~1960. Before 1940 is "antique," and post-1960 to ~1999 is just plain old.

Posts: 27927 | Location: Johnson City, TN | Registered: April 28, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
אַרְיֵה
Picture of V-Tail
posted Hide Post
quote:
Before 1940 is "antique,"
You're saying that I am antique (1937)?

הרחפת שלי מלאה בצלופחים

Posts: 30644 | Location: Central Florida, Orlando area | Registered: January 03, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by V-Tail:
quote:
Before 1940 is "antique,"
You're saying that I am antique (1937)?

Yes!!!!!Smile

Posts: 660 | Registered: February 20, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Peace through
superior firepower
Picture of parabellum
posted Hide Post
"Rare" is heavily overused. Rare means you might encounter an example in person, once in your life, if even that. Rare means you may see only photos of the article.

"Scarce" seems to be the correct term in most instances where I see people using "rare".

Posts: 107498 | Registered: January 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by sigcrazy7:
quote:
quote:

The 80s. I miss it so.

Funny you mention that. In 1999 or so I helped a buddy locate a 231 Buick V6. He dropped it in a Chevette with a conversion kit and headers. Said it went pretty good if you could get over the steering column coming through the dash at a bit of an angle....

Posts: 921 | Location: Midwest | Registered: April 13, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I Deal In Lead
Picture of Flash-LB
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by PHPaul:
quote:
Originally posted by bigpond73:
Don't turn on the radio Paul.

Turned on "classic rock" the other day, and it was Soundgarden. Eek

Maybe we're just getting old......

One of the advantages of being hard of hearing...I never bother to turn the radio on in my vehicles. Not sure the one in my RAV4 even works, haven't tried it since I bought the car.

Might have to get a CD player for the shop tho. I was down there futzing with a snowblower governor and got to thinking how quiet it was in there. Most of the time I'm using noisy tools and wearing muffs.

I've never turned off the radio in any vehicle I've ever owned.

And around the house, I get up, put on the coffee and turn on the radio, then go out on the patio to feed the dog and turn on the radio out there.

They both remain on all day, and I'm about 3/4 deaf in my right ear and 1/4 deaf in my left. The hearing aids work pretty well though...

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Flash-LB,

Posts: 10626 | Location: Gilbert Arizona | Registered: March 21, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
goodheart
Picture of sjtill
posted Hide Post
I can't believe I'm reading this thread at 11 pm, I can't stand reading the news.
Maybe I ought to start my own rant about that.

Posts: 18043 | Location: One hop from Paradise | Registered: July 27, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post