SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  What's Your Deal!    the sad state of smartphones
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

the sad state of smartphones Login/Join 
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Prefontaine:
Their business model is to cater to the millennials who just want larger and larger phones because they spend all got damn day on them.

That's because millenials replace their phones every year while people like fpuhan take their five year old phone to a third party repair shop to save $10 on a battery replacement. Roll Eyes

It's really not that hard to figure out which customer is going to keep you in business.

Posts: 6621 | Location: Virginia | Registered: January 22, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by V-Tail:
Maybe just get the battery replaced?

My iPhone is one generation earlier than yours. I had the battery replaced a few months ago. Big improvement!

Much less costly than getting a newer phone.

This. Try taking it to the Apple store. They had a deal a few months ago to replace the battery in iPhone 6's for $29. Perhaps they can still do so. 5 years is a long time for a battery to last in anything that is daily use.

Posts: 21335 | Registered: June 12, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
אַרְיֵה
Picture of V-Tail
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by jimmy123x:

Try taking it to the Apple store. They had a deal a few months ago to replace the battery in iPhone 6's for $29.
I believe that the $29.00 deal ended in 2018.

The Apple website currently shows $49.00 to replace the battery in all 6, 7, and 8 models, and $69.00 in all X models. Free if they are in warranty or have Apple Care.

הרחפת שלי מלאה בצלופחים

Posts: 30647 | Location: Central Florida, Orlando area | Registered: January 03, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
See if you can find a used SE. I recently had the battery replaced in mine and it still works great.

Posts: 184 | Location: Great Falls VA | Registered: February 03, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of erj_pilot
posted Hide Post
I bought my current iPhone 6s from here:

https://www.gazelle.com/

It's still working great! They list a used 64GB phone in good condition for $259...just FYI.

"If you’re a leader, you lead the way. Not just on the easy ones; you take the tough ones too…” – MAJ Richard D. Winters (1918-2011), E Company, 2nd Battalion, 506th Parachute Infantry Regiment, 101st Airborne

"Woe to those who call evil good, and good evil... Therefore, as tongues of fire lick up straw and as dry grass sinks down in the flames, so their roots will decay and their flowers blow away like dust; for they have rejected the law of the Lord Almighty and spurned the word of the Holy One of Israel." - Isaiah 5:20,24

Posts: 11066 | Location: NW Houston | Registered: April 04, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
goodheart
Picture of sjtill
posted Hide Post
Here’s the deal for all you luddites out there:
An Apple SE iPhone, direct from Apple, for $249. The guts of the iPhone 6, with the size of the iPhone 5.

Apple Online Store: iPhone SE sale

Posts: 18044 | Location: One hop from Paradise | Registered: July 27, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Rail-less
and
Tail-less
posted Hide Post
Dude the size difference between the 6 and XS is negligible. I wouldn’t call it a huge difference by any stretch. It’s like a 5mm difference in height and 3mm in width.

Posts: 13190 | Location: Charlotte, NC | Registered: May 07, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Grandiosity is a sign
of mental illness
posted Hide Post
It's not that much better on the Android side.

My current phone has what was flagship level hardware in 2016. I've had it a while. Still very happy with it, aside from the battery which is going to need to be replaced.

If I had to replace the whole phone, there's nothing I would really *want* to buy right now.

Posts: 2453 | Location: MO | Registered: March 07, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of rockchalk06
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ensigmatic:
quote:
Originally posted by rockchalk06:
These are the same reasons I am not with Apple anymore for a phone.

I wasn't as hung up on the headphone jack as I was the fingerprint scanner.

What's the hangup with the fingerprint scanner? If you don't like it, don't use it. You can use all the regular unlock mechanisms if you want. Or roll the dice and not lock your phone at all.

As for the headphone jack: The only time I've used one, recently, was on an overseas trip, with my iPad. I can count the number of times I've used the one on my iPhone 6S on one hand and have fingers left over.

Now that I have Air Pods, it may never get used again.

I want the scanner

Posts: 1363 | Location: OK | Registered: April 13, 2016Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of henryaz
posted Hide Post

I have an 8+ that is now 1.5 years old. It is a good solid phone with Touch ID, and I expect several more years of use from it, before upgrading to the newer Face ID phones. It has good battery life and is plenty fast for my use. I has all of the recent features one might need for integrating with the Apple system and not feel like being "left behind".

It is still sold new, and refurbished.

When in doubt, mumble

Posts: 10784 | Location: South Congress AZ | Registered: May 27, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of NextGhost
posted Hide Post
I'm still using an IPhone 4, replaced the battery myself last year. Wish Apple would make one that size again.

Posts: 159 | Location: Not where I should be | Registered: April 20, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I'm using the SE, and will get a replacement if it dies. It's the perfect size for me. As far as the ear buds go, my SE is blue-toothed to my hearing aids.

Posts: 17139 | Location: Lexington, KY | Registered: October 15, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
אַרְיֵה
Picture of V-Tail
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Fredward:

my SE is blue-toothed to my hearing aids.
Is it a direct connection (if so, what model hearing aids?), or is it bridged through a dongle that you wear like a necklace?

Mine is the latter type bridged through a dongle. I would like to have a direct bluetooth link from iPhone to hearing aids, without going through a middle man.

הרחפת שלי מלאה בצלופחים

Posts: 30647 | Location: Central Florida, Orlando area | Registered: January 03, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Go ahead punk, make my day
posted Hide Post
Apple was offering $29 / battery swaps recently.

My 6S plus works great.

Posts: 45798 | Registered: July 12, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
אַרְיֵה
Picture of V-Tail
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by RHINOWSO:

That ended on 31 December 2018.

הרחפת שלי מלאה בצלופחים

Go ahead punk, make my day
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by V-Tail:
quote:
Originally posted by RHINOWSO:

That ended on 31 December 2018.
Yeah but even at $100 its cheaper than a new smartphone.

Posts: 45798 | Registered: July 12, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Cruising the
Highway to Hell
Picture of 95flhr
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Fredward:

my SE is blue-toothed to my hearing aids.
Is it a direct connection (if so, what model hearing aids?), or is it bridged through a dongle that you wear like a necklace?

Mine is the latter type bridged through a dongle. I would like to have a direct bluetooth link from iPhone to hearing aids, without going through a middle man.

I can't answer for Fredward, but mine are direct bluetooth to the hearing aids without a dongle. Resound hearing aids from Costco.

“Government exists to protect us from each other. Where government has gone beyond its limits is in deciding to protect us from ourselves.”
― Ronald Reagan

Retired old fart

Posts: 6484 | Location: Near the Beaverdam in VA | Registered: February 13, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post