SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  What's Your Deal!    Getting old sucks, when the body can't keep up with the mind/desire
Page 1 2 3 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Getting old sucks, when the body can't keep up with the mind/desire Login/Join 
Fighting the good fight
Picture of RogueJSK
posted
I've been in the law enforcement world for quite a few years, and have been promoted multiple times until landing in an administrative position. That's been fine, and I really enjoy the instructing/teaching/community outreach aspect that comes along with it, but spending most of my time staring at budget spreadsheets, approving leave requests, and dealing with personnel matters is starting to wear on me. I still have the itch to be doing something more immediately productive.

An opportunity recently presented itself at another agency to get into a more active position over there for similar pay. I want to take it. But after taking a hard look inside and making an honest assessment of myself, between my bad knee, tweaked back, and ongoing nerve issues with my shoulder, I just don't think that I can hack it physically these days. My window to be working midnight shift and chasing bad guys while hopping fences is behind me. And I don't want to be a liability, or wreck my already declining body even further.

The spirit is willing, but the body is weak.

Getting old sucks. Frown

Posts: 32421 | Location: Northwest Arkansas | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Staring back
from the abyss
Picture of Gustofer
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by RogueJSK:
Getting old sucks. Frown

It ain't for sissies.

Posts: 19975 | Location: Montana | Registered: November 01, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
אַרְיֵה
Picture of V-Tail
posted Hide Post
quote:

Getting old sucks.
You noticed that, too?

הרחפת שלי מלאה בצלופחים

Posts: 30544 | Location: Central Florida, Orlando area | Registered: January 03, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Prefontaine
posted Hide Post
The best quote I ever heard was from Clint Eastwood. 5-10 years ago. Some journalist or something asked me how the fuck he could still be doing this, directing, acting, doing quality shit, at his age. He said something to the effect that the old man was always there he just doesn’t listen to him. I took that to heart as I’m constantly grinding. Eating correct 90% of the time, lifting plates at the gym, going as hard as I can to fight aging. I’ve had shoulder surgery, and various other injuries, and rehab or PT, building muscle and being as fit as I can, helps tremendously. That doesn’t mean I want to hop fences but it is nice being fitter than people half your age. Being a gym rat and trying to eat like a nutritionist has so many benefits. The knees are showing their age however, but I will come up with something.

What am I doing? I'm talking to an empty telephone

Posts: 12568 | Location: Down South | Registered: January 16, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Up until I was 50 I felt great, almost like a kid.
From 50 to 60, Good Lord I'm falling apart. If I make
it to 70, I'll probably be crippled.

Posts: 949 | Location: Mason, Ohio | Registered: September 16, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Three Generations
of Service
Picture of PHPaul
posted Hide Post
It's good that you were mature enough to realize that.

I'm considering (no decision yet, maybe not this year) selling my motorcycle for many of the same reasons.

It's been a great ride (54 years worth) but there are indications that it may be time.

Be careful when following the masses. Sometimes the M is silent.

Posts: 15180 | Location: Downeast Maine | Registered: March 10, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Dances With
Tornados
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Prefontaine:
The best quote I ever heard was from Clint Eastwood. 5-10 years ago. Some journalist or something asked me how the fuck he could still be doing this, directing, acting, doing quality shit, at his age. He said something to the effect that the old man was always there he just doesn’t listen to him. I took that to heart as I’m constantly grinding..

Don’t let the old man in

Posts: 11811 | Registered: October 26, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I Deal In Lead
Picture of Flash-LB
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by V-Tail:
quote:

Getting old sucks.
You noticed that, too?

For me it hasn't been bad at all, but I have friends who have a really hard time getting around and doing things.

Lots of variables here.

Posts: 10626 | Location: Gilbert Arizona | Registered: March 21, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I Am The Walrus
posted Hide Post
Getting old sucks but it’s better than the alternative.

Posts: 13047 | Registered: March 12, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Shit don't
mean shit
posted Hide Post
I'm 49, and while I still do a bunch of stuff, I can still relate.

Last year we were working on remodeling our kitchen. I took 3 out or 4 weeks off in June to work on it. I had a bunch of crap to do, including stiffening up the floors so I could put in large tiles without them cracking at some point.

Shit, I discovered that I can't crawl around on my hands and knees for 8 hours a day, day after day. The last house I remodeled was about 15 year ago, when I was in my mid thirties. I worked like an animal on that house. Not anymore. Frown

Posts: 5733 | Location: 7400 feet in Conifer CO | Registered: November 14, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
This Space for Rent
Picture of ugeesta
posted Hide Post
I get it. I was doing fine till about last year. All of a sudden I feel weak and have slowed down a bit. Still not too bad but motivation is getting more difficult everyday. Yes, the 50s is when things start to change.

We will never know world peace, until three people can simultaneously look each other straight in the eye

Liberals are like pussycats and Twitter is Trump's laser pointer to keep them busy while he takes care of business - Rey HRH.

Posts: 5745 | Location: Colorado | Registered: April 20, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
always with a hat or sunscreen
Picture of bald1
posted Hide Post
Hell I had the T-shirt for that sentiment but damned if I can't fit into it any more. Eek

Certifiable member of the gun toting, septuagenarian, bucket list workin', crazed retiree, bald is beautiful club!
USN (RET), COTEP #192

Posts: 16146 | Location: Black Hills of South Dakota | Registered: June 20, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I am there now
I just turned 50 and the check engine light came on.

I still want to deploy, trump all over AFG with a ruck sack and get back into LE.

BUT...

My elbows are giving out for some reason. One of them I know why but the other is acting up. Not counting my back and shoulder..

I was hoping by the time this pandemic ended I would be on the mend. It appears I am getting worse.

Tomorrow I take the new Army Fitness test.
Well it is going to hurt.

At least my PLT SGT is broke up also but he was ABN, Ranger, Sniper etc..

I should not be this broke up..
I realize my ABN days are over but I still might be able to get squeeze out a couple more years in armor or artillery.

But like others have said.. At what cost?

Posts: 1836 | Location: In NC trying to get back to VA | Registered: March 03, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Leemur
posted Hide Post
I’ll be 50 this year and I’m feeling all 85 years of it. Got a persistent ache in my left shoulder and wrist. Easily tweak my lower right abs and my right elbow swells up like a baseball if I swing a hammer or other tool. It remains to be seen if the arthritis in my right hip will sideline me before I croak.

Posts: 13735 | Location: Shenandoah Valley, VA | Registered: October 16, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
[quote]It remains to be seen if the arthritis in my right hip will sideline me before I croak.
^^^^^^^^^^
A good clue will be your genetics. You are in the age range for medical surprises. It will not be the arthritis that will sideline you. I would bet on it.

Posts: 17175 | Location: Stuck at home | Registered: January 02, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Prefontaine
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 1967Goat:
I'm 49, and while I still do a bunch of stuff, I can still relate.

Last year we were working on remodeling our kitchen. I took 3 out or 4 weeks off in June to work on it. I had a bunch of crap to do, including stiffening up the floors so I could put in large tiles without them cracking at some point.

Shit, I discovered that I can't crawl around on my hands and knees for 8 hours a day, day after day. The last house I remodeled was about 15 year ago, when I was in my mid thirties. I worked like an animal on that house. Not anymore. Frown

Yeah I turn 49 in Nov. I’m long past some/many of the physical work shit I used to do on my property. Some stuff I still do like cut the grass, de-weed, but the 50 bags of mulch every year, oh my. And I’m in excellent shape but age has a way of saying fuck you anyway. My body is wrecked after picking up the 50 bags myself, driving them home in the truck, unloading them, spreading them, cutting them open, one by one, raking all that shit. I see why, now, after all this time, my neighbors saying the hell with all of it and farming the work out.

The thing that really got on my nerves was the readers. I’ve always had excellent vision, a little better than 20/20. Hit 46 or 47, and I noticed small print, was getting difficult. Like say reading an email on the phone or trying to read directions on some package to cook. I finally gave in, went to my first eye doctor visit in my life and got the news that hey, this happens to everyone. 1.5’s, buy them anywhere, online, and they have them at drug stores, etc. I don’t dine out often but do have to go to lunch for work/business and I detest having to carry the readers. I’m like fuck. What’s next? Wasn’t long after the readers I went surfing, got home, and my knees were just shot. Wasn’t the surfing it was age and a life of leg presses, squats, etc. Riding motorcycles, pwc’s. Even now when I’m mowing the grass, I’m using those slip on knee things, whatever they are called. At the gym I’ve been using forearm braces and knee wraps for years.

I’m very grateful and thankful to still be here. I tell God that every single day of my life. I can deal with it but that damn grey nut hair and these readers just piss me off. I will never forget that doctor. “Just buy like 6 pair of them and have them in every room, in your truck”, I was like oh shit here we go. What’s next a got damn walker? Am I going to be on the scooter at the grocery store soon? I joke, guess it’s just the time in life where shit is going to go south. I’m sure as shit going to fight it tooth and nail with every ounce of me though.

What am I doing? I'm talking to an empty telephone

Posts: 12568 | Location: Down South | Registered: January 16, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I remember one lesson taught to me by the old guy who broke me in walking a beat in the early 1970s:

Before you go over the fence be sure to check the size of the dog turds.

I've been over a lot of fences. Chased a lot of bad guys. Caught most of them. I like most dogs better than some of the people I have had to deal with.

Most of the people I know under 30 years old call me Grampa, probably because they are my grandchildren.

No more fences for me, thanks anyway.

Retired holster maker.
Retired police chief.
Formerly Sergeant, US Army Airborne Infantry, Pathfinders

Posts: 1091 | Location: Colorado | Registered: March 07, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Only the strong survive
Picture of 41
posted Hide Post
You have to slow down as you get older. It was Dr. Gabe Mirkin that noted it was not good to run marathons since it can stress your heart.

This also includes working too hard. I was cutting up a large tree and carrying the 60 pound sections up a bank. After a while I was starting to feel bad so I decided to go home.

That night I was checking my email and had a stroke. My landline had gone out and Verizon had failed to fix it. They didn't find me for nine days. I had unlocked the front door knowing they would find me eventually. I had stocked up on food so I could remain isolated from the virus. I had a flip phone but it was upstairs. When I didn't answer a friends emails, she called the police.

I got water out of the frig dispenser and ate canned soup and apples. I wore a sore on my right ankle from crawling around. It was about 60 feet round trip to the kitchen. I thought about crawling out the front door but it was early April and some of the neighbors are not too friendly. A lifetime experience I don't want to go through again.

Posts: 11828 | Location: Herndon, VA | Registered: June 11, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Savor the limelight
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Edmond:
Getting old sucks but it’s better than the alternative.

Being old?

Posts: 10821 | Location: SWFL | Registered: October 10, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I Deal In Lead
Picture of Flash-LB
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 41:
You have to slow down as you get older. It was Dr. Gabe Mirkin that noted it was not good to run marathons since it can stress your heart.

James Fixx is a good example of this.

https://www.nytimes.com/1984/0...s%2052%20years%20old.

James F. Fixx, who spurred the jogging craze with his best-selling books about running and preached the gospel that active people live longer, died of a heart attack Friday while on a solitary jog in Vermont. He was 52 years old.

Mr. Fixx, a former magazine editor and the author of five books, among them ''The Complete Book of Running (I was a runner back then and my Doctor called it "The Complete Book Of Dying),'' was found at 5:30 P.M. by the side of Route 15 in Hardwick by a motorcyclist. Before the police arrived, several passers-by attempted to resuscitate the fallen runner, dressed only in shorts and without identification.

Posts: 10626 | Location: Gilbert Arizona | Registered: March 21, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post