SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  What's Your Deal!    Getting old sucks, when the body can't keep up with the mind/desire
Page 1 2 3 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Getting old sucks, when the body can't keep up with the mind/desire Login/Join 
Fourth line skater
Picture of goose5
posted Hide Post
I started to notice age at 57. I'm 61 now and was not happy with my output. So, I stopped drinking for a bit, and increased exercise. Nope still felt the same. I just have to reconcile I'm operating at a lower output now.

Posts: 7506 | Location: Pueblo, CO | Registered: July 03, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I was still doing decent at age 50. Not great but still going and doing what I wanted although just a little slower.
Jump 4 years later and I'm kind of a mess. Leg surgery last year and I was off my feet for a while. Now my right shoulder has something going on.
I honestly didn't think being just about mid 50's was gonna be like this.
It does suck.

I'd rather be hated for who I am than loved for who I'm not.

Posts: 3652 | Location: The armpit of Ohio | Registered: August 18, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Street police work is a young mans game. When I retired, I was having difficulty heaving all the gear on my body out of the car and running after teenagers. And over the years, exposure to all the noise has seriously damaged my hearing. You paid your dues and earned your position. Enjoy it!

End of Earth: 2 Miles
Upper Peninsula: 4 Miles

Posts: 16004 | Location: Marquette MI | Registered: July 08, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
His Royal Hiney
Picture of Rey HRH
posted Hide Post
Be thankful that your current job doesn't show up how old and decrepit you've gotten. Maybe taking the job was also contributory. Jesse Waters who just had back surgery, related that his surgeon said sitting is the new smoking. But that's water under the bridge now. Just make sure you still get some physical work and stretching for your own health.

"It did not really matter what we expected from life, but rather what life expected from us. We needed to stop asking about the meaning of life, and instead to think of ourselves as those who were being questioned by life – daily and hourly. Our answer must consist not in talk and meditation, but in right action and in right conduct. Life ultimately means taking the responsibility to find the right answer to its problems and to fulfill the tasks which it constantly sets for each individual." Viktor Frankl, Man's Search for Meaning, 1946.

Posts: 19582 | Location: The Free State of Arizona - Ditat Deus | Registered: March 24, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Staring back
from the abyss
Picture of Gustofer
posted Hide Post

Posts: 19975 | Location: Montana | Registered: November 01, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fighting the good fight
Picture of RogueJSK
posted Hide Post
Heh. Thanks Rey. I'm far from decrepit, just starting to break down a bit earlier than usual from being too rough on my body in my younger years, and with some older nagging injuries starting to nag a bit more loudly.

When I jacked up my knee initially back in 2008, the surgeon told me that I was probably ~10 years away from a knee replacement. I'm not there yet ~14 years down the road, so I'm already a little ahead of the curve, but it's also not operating at 100%.

Fret not, I do get regular exercise... It's primarily just lower weight and low-impact these days, as opposed to pounding the pavement for miles and maxing out on weight like I used to. Wink

Posts: 32428 | Location: Northwest Arkansas | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Father Time is still undefeated last time that I checked.

Posts: 792 | Location: NW North Carolina | Registered: November 04, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Dances With
Tornados
posted Hide Post
You’re not old until…

The fire department says they will bring a pumper truck over first before your birthday cake candles are lit… and they’re not asking…

And the fire chief warns that next year you better get a permit for all those candles… and he’s not asking…

Posts: 11812 | Registered: October 26, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Go Vols!
Picture of Oz_Shadow
posted Hide Post
I’m not at the age where I can’t do stuff, but I am at the age where I feel everything With physical exertion for days. Some past things remain as well. It leaves me wondering what I will do when I just can’t do it. I’ve saved a lot of money over my life doing things myself instead of paying others to do them.

Posts: 17871 | Location: SE Michigan | Registered: February 10, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I Deal In Lead
Picture of Flash-LB
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by trapper189:
quote:
Originally posted by Edmond:
Getting old sucks but it’s better than the alternative.

Being old?

Not getting old is the alternative and there's only one way to do that.

Posts: 10626 | Location: Gilbert Arizona | Registered: March 21, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Dances With
Tornados
posted Hide Post
"I didn't plan on getting old, but it happened. And it'll happen to you too, if you're lucky" Andy Rooney.

posted Hide Post
It's not the age, it's the mileage.

So you have 2 1970 Mustangs that came off the line. There's the one that's garage kept, never seen snow, washed and waxed on a regular basis, one or two great owners that appreciate the classics, taken to a really good mechanic, no rust, never been into an accident....

Yeah, that ain't me.

I'm the beat up, banged up, rusted up one. Mechanic can't figure out why that one cylinder isn't firing right, amazed that the duct tape is holding this thing together this long. Should have been scrapped long time ago but the 27th owner is just going to ride this till the wheels fall off and leave that hunk-o-shit on the side of the road.

51, and yeah I'm slower than I was at 31.
Hockey, some time in a ring and Dojo's, the Marine Corps was fun as hell but beats the hell out of you. This Cop stuff has been a grind. That 1 1/2 year "hiatus" almost killed me.

When the weather changes, I know every ding and dent that I got over the years. I remember them fondly.

I found out when I came on the job that the people I'm chasing on the street were 17 to their early 20's. Then at some point I figured out that they are always going to be 17- 27, and I'm not...

Want to know the fun part about this "getting old" shit? It's the gentle reminders. I've got a Tact Team now. 1 Sgt, 10 officers. I've been on and off of Tact/Gangs/Narcotics teams damn near my whole career. A few years back, not all that long ago actually... One of the other guys on the team, his pager went off while we were all in the office on an arrest.
"I gotta go! My wife is having the baby!!!!"
I remember holding that lil kid in one arm...

Guess who's working for me now?
Yeah, ouch! That stings every day I come into work. I've got uniform shirts that are older than 3 others on my team, 2 others were borne a few months before I got on the job...

On the other hand, yes, they're all faster than me, but I'll out work all of them. It's also nice being able to show my young-guns some of the short cuts and the smarter ways of doing things.

“What the government is good at is collecting taxes, taking away your freedoms and killing people. It’s not good at much else.” —Author Tom Clancy

Posts: 8321 | Location: Attempting to keep the noise down around Midway Airport | Registered: February 14, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Banned
posted Hide Post
Hit a major health marker at 50 when a tree limb fell on me and broke three ribs on both ends, compound fracture of the left leg, with titanium rod inserted, wedged a vertebra.

Worked up to 66 in a less full capacity, 45 max weight no repetitive twisting and bending, doing about twice as much than my coworkers on the job. I kid you not - it was probably the challenge to myself to see if it could be done, along with the younger gens mostly standing around texting.

At 66 I could feel the energy meter step down - so I let it. Doing everyone else's job was getting old. I slowed down on stocking all the freight, took up less of the assistant managers work, let them all answer for them letting it slide, and best of all, got a new manager with half the experience and none of the floor training who didn't have a clue.

He was still scheduling me for Sunday morning opening two weeks before my retirement with no idea who would do it once I was gone. For some dumb reason I mentioned it to prevent another workplace "event" where somebody would suffer for lack of better oversight. I sure did consider not mentioning it tho.

I walk in now and for the most part somebody did pick up most of the details, those little things that make a difference. I don't miss it tho. Too much stuff on the honeydo list to look back. I've been busier than at work - that saying that everyday is Saturday when you are retired actually means your time is filled with more work than at work. We're only about 60% nationwide on the clock. In the last two weeks it's been dusk to dawn with summer chores, a flooded basement, new 21 ft pool, redo the deck, mow the grass, oil changes, and the list is getting even longer as we approach an out of state vacation - new fan belt, wax the car, clean the interior, pack, travel changes (we have gone the same route twice in six trips, there is always something different - hurricane, different stop, flea market, highway construction, new seafood restaurant.)

Then its back to the daily grind of retirement. Once it cools off, 4 ricks of wood to split and other new adventures. Wood? Oh yeah I've cut 8 trees to stop shading the pool. Just in time for the 90 degree days while we were putting it up in full sun . . . Today it's 78 and raining. I guess that helps fill it some off the meter.

Posts: 613 | Registered: December 14, 2021Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Happily Retired
Picture of Bassamatic
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 41:
You have to slow down as you get older. It was Dr. Gabe Mirkin that noted it was not good to run marathons since it can stress your heart.

This also includes working too hard. I was cutting up a large tree and carrying the 60 pound sections up a bank. After a while I was starting to feel bad so I decided to go home.

That night I was checking my email and had a stroke. My landline had gone out and Verizon had failed to fix it. They didn't find me for nine days. I had unlocked the front door knowing they would find me eventually. I had stocked up on food so I could remain isolated from the virus. I had a flip phone but it was upstairs. When I didn't answer a friends emails, she called the police.

I got water out of the frig dispenser and ate canned soup and apples. I wore a sore on my right ankle from crawling around. It was about 60 feet round trip to the kitchen. I thought about crawling out the front door but it was early April and some of the neighbors are not too friendly. A lifetime experience I don't want to go through again.

Good God man....nine days!! I bet you don't want to go through that again. You take care.

.....never marry a woman who is mean to your waitress.

Posts: 5024 | Location: Lake of the Ozarks, MO. | Registered: September 05, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I'm in that boat, too. Had to retire from corrections at 50, I couldn't take pounding cement all day anymore. Injuries, stress, etc take their toll. I had a series of mini-strokes 4 years ago and lost some function, most of which I have recovered. I try to stay fit, walking several miles a day and doing light weight training, but it's getting worse. I passed on a 92X Performance Beretta cause I couldn't rack the slide, the safety is on the frame. May be selling off my custom shop CZ-75 c's as well, for the same reason. Sooner or later I'll be down to an airtight 22 magnum revolver, no doubt.

Posts: 17121 | Location: Lexington, KY | Registered: October 15, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
A Grateful American
Picture of sigmonkey
posted Hide Post
The thing I used to do all day, now takes me all day to do.

"the meaning of life, is to give life meaning" Ani Yehudi אני יהודי Le'olam lo shuv לעולם לא שוב!

Posts: 43810 | Location: ...... I am thrice divorced, and I live in a van DOWN BY THE RIVER!!! (in Arkansas) | Registered: December 20, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Dances With
Tornados
posted Hide Post
Saw a bikers vest that read Sons of Aspirin, Ibuprofren Chapter.

Ain't that just a real bitch?

Bookers Bourbon
and a good cigar
Picture of Johnny 3eagles
posted Hide Post
All you old guys that still feel young, come on over and help unload 100 cubic feet of mulch. Pile it neatly, not all over the damn yard. And hose out the back of the truck when you're done.

BIDEN SUCKS.

If you're goin' through hell, keep on going.
Don't slow down. If you're scared don't show it.
You might get out before the devil even knows you're there.

NRA ENDOWMENT LIFE MEMBER

Posts: 7120 | Location: Arkansas  | Registered: November 06, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
My spouse of 35 years is 15 years older than me.

(Yeah, i didn't really think this all out , in the begining)

A couple of doctors have told me that I could add 15 more years to my life by having a life changing very invasive surgical procedure.

My question is if she does die in 3-5 years,
Do I really want to hang around in today's world with out her ?

At this point Iam thinking not so much

Safety, Situational Awareness and proficiency.

Neck Ties, Hats and ammo brass, Never ,ever touch'em w/o asking first

Posts: 54500 | Location: Henry County , Il | Registered: February 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Only the strong survive
Picture of 41
posted Hide Post
I have read that it is an advantage to having a younger wife. Get a copy of Dr. Whitaker's book "Is Heart Surgery Necessary?"
You can find a used copy on ebay for less than $5.

Posts: 11828 | Location: Herndon, VA | Registered: June 11, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post