SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  What's Your Deal!    Yep, I'm an idiot....
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Yep, I'm an idiot.... Login/Join 
Page late and a dollar short
posted Hide Post
We looked at a whole house Generac but I kind of choked at the quoted prices, all around 17k.

I replaced our twenty year old Coleman with a Harbor Freight 9750(?) Inverter Generator with electric start during last year’s ice storm and outage. It wasn’t cheap either at 2k but so far it gets the job done.

I may look into a Generac again or a Koehler but not at those prices.

-------------------------------------——————
————————--Ignorance is a powerful tool if applied at the right time, even, usually, surpassing knowledge(E.J.Potter, A.K.A. The Michigan Madman)

Posts: 8110 | Location: Livingston County Michigan USA | Registered: August 11, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
אַרְיֵה
Picture of V-Tail
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by shovelhead:

We looked at a whole house Generac but I kind of choked at the quoted prices, all around 17k.
That was the quote that I received from the Generac dude at Costco.

הרחפת שלי מלאה בצלופחים

Posts: 30684 | Location: Central Florida, Orlando area | Registered: January 03, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Blume9mm
posted Hide Post
I'm assuming one of the major cost for these whole house generators is the transfer switch and labor to install them right. I looked into purchasing a 12K generator and the transfer .... automatic switching equipment looked like a nightmare to me.

My Native American Name:
"Runs with Scissors"

Posts: 4441 | Location: Greenville, SC | Registered: January 30, 2017Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
You can not get a patent for idiocy Blume, I’ve tried.

Posts: 960 | Registered: July 14, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I have a very small window AC unit that I keep in a cabinet in the garage . In case of an extended power outage I can slip it into the bedroom window in about 2 minutes and plug it into my generator .We can sleep comfortably .

Posts: 4060 | Location: Down in Louisiana . | Registered: February 27, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
אַרְיֵה
Picture of V-Tail
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by selogic:

I have a very small window AC unit that I keep in a cabinet in the garage . In case of an extended power outage I can slip it into the bedroom window in about 2 minutes and plug it into my generator .We can sleep comfortably .
No bedroom window in my house. It's a sliding door, to the back patio.

הרחפת שלי מלאה בצלופחים

Posts: 30684 | Location: Central Florida, Orlando area | Registered: January 03, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
This is the small portable ac unit we picked up. Will fit in any size window and one can make a small insert that would allow it to be used in a sliding door or window that opens out. Our 3750 watt generator will run it while also allowing several lights and the tv to be on.

We keep two single use throw away 1.0ml thick large plastic painter tarps (New in their package)along with several rolls of blue painters tape so that if/when we have to use it we section off the living room and bedroom from the rest of the house so we can stay cool. Had to use it this past summer when the main ac unit went out for three days. It was a lifesaver and worked great. Love that it rolls around and I do not have to lift and try and manage a heavy window unit.

https://www.homedepot.com/p/Wh...ck-ARC-14S/202555704

Posts: 3245 | Location: MS | Registered: December 16, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post