SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  What's Your Deal!    Johnsonville sausage - yuck
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Johnsonville sausage - yuck Login/Join 
His diet consists of black
coffee, and sarcasm.
Picture of egregore
posted
Every variety I have tried tastes "off" somehow, some, like the "beer brats,' having kind of a "chemical" taste. No more for me.

Posts: 27982 | Location: Johnson City, TN | Registered: April 28, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Slayer of Agapanthus

posted Hide Post
I cannot disagree as I have not eaten recently. Did you report to the company?

"It is only with the heart that one can see rightly; what is essential is invisible to the eye". The Little Prince, Antoine de Saint-Exupery, pilot and author, lost on mission, July 1944, Med Theatre.

Posts: 5966 | Location: Central Texas | Registered: September 14, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Nullus Anxietas
Picture of ensigmatic
posted Hide Post
We buy various kinds of Johnsonville brats/sausages regularly. Never noticed any "chemical" taste, and my wife is very sensitive to such things.

"America is at that awkward stage. It's too late to work within the system,,,, but too early to shoot the bastards." -- Claire Wolfe
"If we let things terrify us, life will not be worth living." -- Seneca the Younger, Roman Stoic philosopher

Posts: 26009 | Location: S.E. Michigan | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Apparently they think their sausage is so good they will sell you a $100 dedicated sausage grill. They even had an infomercial.

https://www.sizzlingsausagegrill.com/

Posts: 5426 | Location: Pittsburgh, PA, USA | Registered: February 27, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Happily Retired
Picture of Bassamatic
posted Hide Post
I've had their sausage and always buy their brats, etc. They all taste good to us. I would let them know about it.

.....never marry a woman who is mean to your waitress.

Posts: 5048 | Location: Lake of the Ozarks, MO. | Registered: September 05, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of sourdough44
posted Hide Post
We mostly have venny brats & dogs, venison mixed with pork. Usually after some condiments & an onion, tastes about the same.

Posts: 6176 | Location: WI | Registered: February 29, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I Deal In Lead
Picture of Flash-LB
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Bassamatic:
I've had their sausage and always buy their brats, etc. They all taste good to us. I would let them know about it.

Same here.

Posts: 10626 | Location: Gilbert Arizona | Registered: March 21, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Krazeehorse
posted Hide Post
Always been good stuff here. Unusual that you experienced that in multiple products.

Be careful what you tolerate. You are teaching people how to treat you.

Posts: 5689 | Location: Ohio | Registered: December 27, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
His Royal Hiney
Picture of Rey HRH
posted Hide Post
Could it be it's just your taste preference? My wife and I prefer the taste of cheap wine versus premium wines where you have to describe the flavor as various stuff like "earthy," "floral," etc.

We tried aged beef also and we prefer the steaks we get from Safeway.

"It did not really matter what we expected from life, but rather what life expected from us. We needed to stop asking about the meaning of life, and instead to think of ourselves as those who were being questioned by life – daily and hourly. Our answer must consist not in talk and meditation, but in right action and in right conduct. Life ultimately means taking the responsibility to find the right answer to its problems and to fulfill the tasks which it constantly sets for each individual." Viktor Frankl, Man's Search for Meaning, 1946.

Posts: 19693 | Location: The Free State of Arizona - Ditat Deus | Registered: March 24, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Crusty old
curmudgeon
Picture of Jimbo54
posted Hide Post
We buy Johnsonville products all the time and have no issue with taste at all.

Here is one way we use their breakfast sausage.

https://www.johnsonville.ca/re...nd-Egg-Scramble.html

Jim

"If you can't be a good example, then you'll have to be a horrible warning" -Catherine Aird

Posts: 9791 | Location: The right side of Washington State | Registered: September 14, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Get my pies
outta the oven!

Picture of PASig
posted Hide Post
Has anyone noticed that a lot of sausage you buy these days seems much leaner than it used to be? They seem more crumbly and dry and not juicy and sausage-y

Posts: 33853 | Location: Pennsylvania | Registered: November 12, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I Deal In Lead
Picture of Flash-LB
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by PASig:
Has anyone noticed that a lot of sausage you buy these days seems much leaner than it used to be? They seem more crumbly and dry and not juicy and sausage-y

I hadn't noticed that at all, but then I haven't bought bulk sausage.

Is that what you're referring to?

Posts: 10626 | Location: Gilbert Arizona | Registered: March 21, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Get my pies
outta the oven!

Picture of PASig
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Flash-LB:
quote:
Originally posted by PASig:

I hadn't noticed that at all, but then I haven't bought bulk sausage.

Is that what you're referring to?

Bulk and link sausage from the supermarket. The texture has changed, almost like they are using less fat in the grind.

Posts: 33853 | Location: Pennsylvania | Registered: November 12, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Dances With
Tornados
posted Hide Post
Pork is much leaner than it used to be.

It's been bred towards that for quite a few years and now it's hard to find the old fashioned pork, but it is out there. Messing with genetics, basically.

Posts: 11860 | Registered: October 26, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I Deal In Lead
Picture of Flash-LB
posted Hide Post
Well, muscle is more dense than fat, so I guess it makes sense from the hog breeder's point of view since I believe they sell by the pound.

His diet consists of black
coffee, and sarcasm.
Picture of egregore
posted Hide Post
quote:
Could it be it's just your taste preference?

Maybe so. Anyway, I'm going elsewhere for sausage.

Posts: 27982 | Location: Johnson City, TN | Registered: April 28, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Happily Retired
Picture of Bassamatic
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by OKCGene:
Pork is much leaner than it used to be.

It's been bred towards that for quite a few years and now it's hard to find the old fashioned pork, but it is out there. Messing with genetics, basically.

I've noticed that in my sausage as well. A lot leaner. Good information.

.....never marry a woman who is mean to your waitress.

Posts: 5048 | Location: Lake of the Ozarks, MO. | Registered: September 05, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Jimbo Jones
posted Hide Post
We get a lot of our brats at Aldi, or at Costco when they have them.

My company did get a free Johnsonville grill as a promotion with a very large order from Uline...need to try that thing out!!

---------------------------------------
It's like my brain's a tree and you're those little cookie elves.

Posts: 3625 | Location: Cary, NC | Registered: February 26, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Slayer of Agapanthus

posted Hide Post
The pigs are getting some kind of hormone. Taiwan is doing a referendum on rejecting US pork.

"It is only with the heart that one can see rightly; what is essential is invisible to the eye". The Little Prince, Antoine de Saint-Exupery, pilot and author, lost on mission, July 1944, Med Theatre.

Posts: 5966 | Location: Central Texas | Registered: September 14, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of mcrimm
posted Hide Post
I like them, plus, like Jimi Hendrix, I am experienced. I have eaten a bunch of Budda’s brats at Lambeau Field. Very similar.

I'm sorry if I hurt you feelings when I called you stupid - I thought you already knew - Unknown
When you have no future, you live in the past. " Sycamore Row" by John Grisham

Posts: 4236 | Location: Saddlebrooke, Arizona | Registered: December 24, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post