SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  What's Your Deal!    Remittance envelopes
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Remittance envelopes Login/Join 
W07VH5
Picture of mark123
posted
Don't get me wrong, I love when a customer pays me but some of them consistently have a hard time figuring out how envelopes work. Most can figure out that the envelope is exactly the correct size for a check and that's all they put in. Others will fold the 8.5 x 11 invoice into quarters which doesn't fit but they unnecessarily jam it in there anyway. It doesn't matter if I write on the invoice that the return of paperwork is unnecessary. Others fold the check into the the invoice so that it has 17 folds in it making it impossible to remotely deposit it without ironing it or something. The bank teller even sighs when I bring those examples in to deposit because they have a hard time putting them through the scanner.

I include a self sealing envelope, sometimes it comes with the adhesive strip unexposed and I know that means they licked the peel-off backing, which gives me the friggen willies.

Some seal the envelope and then put 18 pieces of tape over every single seam so that I can't even get a letter opener in. I have to slice off a sliver of one edge hoping I'm not hitting a check.

The worst is when they can't fit in the invoice, they expose the self-adhesive, fold the envelope flap so that the invoice fits and then proceed to stick the adhesive on the check making it impossible to get it out without tearing the check.

I am glad they pay me though.

Posts: 45330 | Location: Pennsyltucky | Registered: December 05, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I pay my lawn guy with a check with 18 staples in it. No, just kidding. Some people are just passive aggressive or lack common sense. Least you get paid.

Posts: 17175 | Location: Stuck at home | Registered: January 02, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
W07VH5
Picture of mark123
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ZSMICHAEL:
… Some people are just passive aggressive or lack common sense. Least you get paid.
The wife said the tape thing is OCD. Big Grin

Posts: 45330 | Location: Pennsyltucky | Registered: December 05, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of henryaz
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by mark123:
The wife said the tape thing is OCD. Big Grin

Then I am definitely OCD. I will never lick an envelope, and I do not trust the peel off self stickers. I seen too many that I can peel right open again.

It seems like every invoice I get is folded to fit in the envelope they send it in, but will never fit in the enclosed return envelope without refolding.

When in doubt, mumble

Posts: 10778 | Location: South Congress AZ | Registered: May 27, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I tear off a blank portion of my lawn guy’s invoice, fold it and put my check in it because you can see the check account numbers through the pre-addressed envelope he supplies if you don’t. Just my paranoia!

Posts: 1169 | Location: NE Indiana  | Registered: January 20, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Little ray
of sunshine
Picture of jhe888
posted Hide Post
Checks?

I know, for a lawn service, I can see it.

The fish is mute, expressionless. The fish doesn't think because the fish knows everything.

Posts: 53117 | Location: Texas | Registered: February 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Thank you
Very little
Picture of HRK
posted Hide Post
We send out BRM pre addressed, postage paid return mail envelopes to clients, 99% get it, and fold the documents once, some, fold it over like they are putting it in a standard envelope and it does slow down the document scanning process.

Maybe using a security envelope will help since it will hide the document(s) check inside from prying eyes.

Also you may want to setup a Venmo or Zelle account, you can invoice and accept payments electronically, some of your customers may wish to do this vs hand writing a physical check.

We pay our landscape guy and a few others by Zelle or Venmo whichever they prefer.

https://finance.yahoo.com/news...etter-234337905.html

https://venmo.com/business/start/

Link Zelle Review

Posts: 23238 | Location: Florida | Registered: November 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Casuistic Thinker and Daoist
Picture of 9mmepiphany
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by jhe888:
Checks?

I know, for a lawn service, I can see it.

I have my credit union send my lawn guy a check on the same day every month...no need for an invoice. They just notify me by email...and of course I see when the funds are withdrawn (check cashed)

I'm assuming they send an actual check. I never see it (never looked) and they cover postage.

Even the AC guy, who doesn't take credit cards, accepts Zelle

No, Daoism isn't a religion

Posts: 14175 | Location: northern california | Registered: February 07, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Spread the Disease
Picture of flesheatingvirus
posted Hide Post
I can’t wait until checks are GONE. It’s only a matter of time.

-- Fear is the mind-killer. Fear is the little-death that brings total obliteration. I will face my fear. I will permit it to pass over me and through me. And when it has gone past me I will turn the inner eye to see its path. Where the fear has gone there will be nothing. Only I will remain. --

Posts: 17244 | Location: New Mexico | Registered: October 14, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
^ I will just have to very politely disagree with the above post. Doing away with checks will, in all likelihood, be the next step toward doing away with paper and coin currency.

Eliminating currency will eventually lead to the scriptural “mark of the beast”. I, for one, hope to be long gone from the face of this earth as we know it when the writings in the Bible of the book of Revelations are fulfilled.

The Bible tells us that no man knoweth when the Son of God will return. It also says that a day is as a thousand years and a thousand years is as a day with God. However, many things are believed to have already come to pass that lead up to the “end times”.

All are also free to believe as they see fit. That is the beauty of our Constitutional separation of church and state.

Posts: 792 | Location: NW North Carolina | Registered: November 04, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Casuistic Thinker and Daoist
Picture of 9mmepiphany
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by flesheatingvirus:
I can’t wait until checks are GONE. It’s only a matter of time.

I had a teacher in my Finance Class say the same thing when I was a Business Major in college...this was in 1975

No, Daoism isn't a religion

Posts: 14175 | Location: northern california | Registered: February 07, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Spread the Disease
Picture of flesheatingvirus
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Wolfpacker:
^ I will just have to very politely disagree with the above post. Doing away with checks will, in all likelihood, be the next step toward doing away with paper and coin currency.

Eliminating currency will eventually lead to the scriptural “mark of the beast”. I, for one, hope to be long gone from the face of this earth as we know it when the writings in the Bible of the book of Revelations are fulfilled.

The Bible tells us that no man knoweth when the Son of God will return. It also says that a day is as a thousand years and a thousand years is as a day with God. However, many things are believed to have already come to pass that lead up to the “end times”.

All are also free to believe as they see fit. That is the beauty of our Constitutional separation of church and state.

Wait…what?

Did you respond to the correct thread? Confused

quote:
Originally posted by 9mmepiphany:
I had a teacher in my Finance Class say the same thing when I was a Business Major in college...this was in 1975

Oh, I have no idea how long it will take, but it will happen eventually. There are many more ways to move money than in ‘75.

-- Fear is the mind-killer. Fear is the little-death that brings total obliteration. I will face my fear. I will permit it to pass over me and through me. And when it has gone past me I will turn the inner eye to see its path. Where the fear has gone there will be nothing. Only I will remain. --

Posts: 17244 | Location: New Mexico | Registered: October 14, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I try not to lick envelopes for two reasons. 1, the glue may be old and not adhere. 2, your saliva wrinkles up the flap, it looks gross.

I recently learned something. DON'T put your return address sticker on the back of the envelope. The scanner may read that by mistake and return the envelope to your address. I sent out thank you cards this June. One got returned to me twice and that's what the PO told me happened.

Posts: 652 | Registered: February 20, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
43 years in business, 20 full-time after 23 part-time. I was always happy when customers paid the bills, even better when it happened on time.

Somewhere in the office is a file folder full of old bounced checks. Probably enough for a really nice vacation, if I could collect them.

Retired holster maker.
Retired police chief.
Formerly Sergeant, US Army Airborne Infantry, Pathfinders

Posts: 1091 | Location: Colorado | Registered: March 07, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
They're after my Lucky Charms!
Picture of IrishWind
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by jhe888:
Checks?...

I think we all know NOT to believe a lawyer when he says the check is in the mail. And now we know they don't even know what a check is!

Lord, your ocean is so very large and my divos are so very f****d-up
Dirt Sailors Unite!

Posts: 25075 | Location: NoVa | Registered: May 06, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Non-Miscreant
posted Hide Post
Gawd. I pay Jeremy when he's cutting. I have some time because he also cuts the house one-away.

I come outside and hand him a $50 bill. Its got that idiot Grant's likeness on the front. Not so hard. Its just the bill, and he folds it in half and puts it in his pocket. He returns to cutting and I go back in the AC. See, not so hard.

Unhappy ammo seeker

Posts: 18385 | Location: Kentucky, USA | Registered: February 25, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
W07VH5
Picture of mark123
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by HRK:
We send out BRM pre addressed, postage paid return mail envelopes to clients, 99% get it, and fold the documents once, some, fold it over like they are putting it in a standard envelope and it does slow down the document scanning process.

Maybe using a security envelope will help since it will hide the document(s) check inside from prying eyes.

Also you may want to setup a Venmo or Zelle account, you can invoice and accept payments electronically, some of your customers may wish to do this vs hand writing a physical check.
I use a legit credit processing service. Every invoice has a QR code so you don't even have to type anything to get to the web form to pay your bill. I do like checks because there are no fees though. I make that extra $1-10 per invoice with a check.

However, the savvy customers allow me to email them the invoice and they click a button and pay. That way, no envelope is involved and it happens without me doing anything. The invoice automatically gets marked as paid and the money, minus fees, gets deposited into my business bank account in a day or two. I don't ever have to see them if they like it that way.

W07VH5
Picture of mark123
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by tsmccull:
I tear off a blank portion of my lawn guy’s invoice, fold it and put my check in it because you can see the check account numbers through the pre-addressed envelope he supplies if you don’t. Just my paranoia!
I got those fancy security envelopes. I've tried to read things in them by holding it up to the light but they do a pretty good job of obscuring everything. If someone wanted to steal the secret number off of a check it would be easier to just tear open the envelope.

posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by mark123:
Don't get me wrong, I love when a customer pays me but some of them consistently have a hard time figuring out how envelopes work. Most can figure out that the envelope is exactly the correct size for a check and that's all they put in. Others will fold the 8.5 x 11 invoice into quarters which doesn't fit but they unnecessarily jam it in there anyway. It doesn't matter if I write on the invoice that the return of paperwork is unnecessary. Others fold the check into the the invoice so that it has 17 folds in it making it impossible to remotely deposit it without ironing it or something. The bank teller even sighs when I bring those examples in to deposit because they have a hard time putting them through the scanner

When I pay a bill by check through the mail, I have two concerns. First, is the check routing number and account number visible through the envelope? Second, once the check arrives, will it be credited to the proper (my) account? I suspect a lot of people include the invoice because of my second concern. They think they are being helpful.

I suspect your return envelope has no issue with my first concern. If you are a smaller operation, it's unlikely my second concern would be a problem. But I still think that many do include the invoice because of that.

I would maybe consider a mass customer e-mail explaining why it's unnecessary to include the invoice. Just say that as long as you include your customer account number on the memo line of your check, there is zero chance that your account won't be properly credited.

Posts: 1042 | Location: New Jersey  | Registered: May 03, 2019Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of RichardC
posted Hide Post
Never lick the gummed flap side to side.

Paper cuts on the tongue are unsustainable.

Posts: 15841 | Location: Florida | Registered: June 23, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post