SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  What's Your Deal!    Butter beans. They got the power..
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Butter beans. They got the power.. Login/Join 
Picture of cparktd
posted Hide Post
Yep, love em. I prefer the "baby" ones best.
Guess the wife not so much so I rarely get any at home.

Little David Wilkins
Born a couple hours from me here in Tennessee he is now 76. Out in 1986 "Butterbeans" was his last solo published single. I hadn't heard it in years.. Thanks Para!

"Well just, a little piece, of "Cunt...Ray...Ham" at 0:45 Cool

If it ain't woke... don't fix it.

Posts: 4118 | Location: Middle Tennessee | Registered: February 07, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of sourdough44
posted Hide Post
OK, next time I’m out I’ll try buying them & cook myself. I’ve mostly done simple, from a can.

There’s another thread on food storage. I’m kinda thinking instead of going with the specialized ‘survival food’, just buy some food that stores a long time, then rotate stock.

I see many beans go out 5 years stored properly, maybe longer.

Posts: 6132 | Location: WI | Registered: February 29, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Blume9mm
posted Hide Post
Okay, did not mean to step on toes with my 'can' comment.... I was just remembering my Grandmother and her cooking. I'm pretty sure she put a small slab of fat back in with them.

Tell you what...next time I'm at the store... probably this Saturday... I'll pick up a can and give them a try.

My Native American Name:
"Runs with Scissors"

Posts: 4441 | Location: Greenville, SC | Registered: January 30, 2017Reply With QuoteReport This Post
7.62mm Crusader
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Blume9mm:
Okay, did not mean to step on toes with my 'can' comment.... I was just remembering my Grandmother and her cooking. I'm pretty sure she put a small slab of fat back in with them.

Tell you what...next time I'm at the store... probably this Saturday... I'll pick up a can and give them a try.
Those are good memories by golly. And dont eat the whole can like me... Big Grin

Posts: 17891 | Location: The Bluegrass State! | Registered: December 23, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Thank you
Very little
Picture of HRK
posted Hide Post

Posts: 23244 | Location: Florida | Registered: November 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Back, and
to the left
Picture of 83v45magna
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by OKCGene:
Butter beans are Lima Beans.

Buy a couple 1-pound bags of Lima Beans, either small or large beans, whatever you like, make 1 bag at a time. Cooks just about like any other bean.

Add your butter and spices that you like.

Canned beans usually have a LOT of Sodium (salt) that may not be so good for you.

Cook your own, control your Sodium, make'em taste good without using too much Sodium.

I make mine from scratch as described. I also add a little bit of granulated onion, granulated garlic, some finely diced ham, whatever else I can think of that I have on hand.

This thread got me thinking. I have not had butter beans since 1980-81 at the latest. Mom always made them from dry beans. I would never consider buying a can of them. Nothing is better out of a can.

Posts: 7232 | Location: Dallas | Registered: August 04, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
drop and give me
20 pushups
posted Hide Post
Growing up spent many a hour sitting around shelling the fresh butter beans of different varieties as well as other bean varieties that the family would process in glass jars for late consumption.. Cooked with a little bit of fat bacon and or a good hand full of smothered okra pods ....... This posting is making me hungry. .................................................................. drill sgt.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: drill sgt,

Posts: 1952 | Location: denham springs , la | Registered: October 19, 2019Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of SFCUSARET
posted Hide Post
Used to love Butter beans as a kid growing up. That was until I joined the Army and had the unpleasant experience of eating a (MCI) Meal Combat Individual (or C-Rat) affectionately known as Ham and Motherfuckers. That translates to canned ham packaged with lima beans. Nasty crap that was! I have not been able to stomach Butter (Lima) beans since.

Posts: 1061 | Location: Scottsdale, AZ | Registered: September 26, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of 2BobTanner
posted Hide Post
Lima/Butter Beans + off-the-cob Corn = Succotash.

---------------------
LGBFJB

"Sometimes I wonder whether the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on, or by imbeciles who really mean it." — Mark Twain

“Democracy is the theory that the common people know what they want, and deserve to get it good and hard.” — H. L. Mencken

Posts: 2692 | Location: Falls of the Ohio River, Kain-tuk-e | Registered: January 13, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
34" Scale 5-String
Picture of bronicabill
posted Hide Post
Just had baby limas two nights ago at a local country diner. I scarfed them so fast my wife made a comment about the way I was eating in public! Big Grin

The rest of the dinner was good, but those lima beans were freakin' awesome!!!

Bill R.
North Alabama

Posts: 4551 | Location: Madison, AL | Registered: December 06, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
7.62mm Crusader
posted Hide Post
Yup. Good stuff right there. I dont get them often but from here on in.

Posts: 17891 | Location: The Bluegrass State! | Registered: December 23, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Dances With
Tornados
posted Hide Post
When making so called regular beans, navy beans or brown beans, with the traditional ham and such.....

I have some cooked ribs the day or so before, and I save a couple meaty ribs. Scrape the rib meat off, add that to your beans. Yum!

(probably not as good on lima/butter beans, unless you prefer it).

Posts: 11812 | Registered: October 26, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Mr. Peteroniman
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by drill sgt:
Growing up spent many a hour sitting around shelling the fresh butter beans of different varieties as well as other bean varieties that the family would process in glass jars for late consumption.. Cooked with a little bit of fat bacon and or a good hand full of smothered okra pods ....... This posting is making me hungry. .................................................................. drill sgt.

Purple Hull Peas (for me), picking, shelling, canning (dad did most of the canning) and of course eating
tastes better when you do the work (although I didn't really put that together until later in life)

cook with onion, and bacon grease, then some cornbread for the pot liquor, almost any bean will do

-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-

All his life he tried to be a good person. Many times, however, he failed.
For after all, he was only human. He wasn't a dog.”
― Charles M. Schulz

Posts: 1996 | Location: Florida Panhandle | Registered: June 25, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of sourdough44
posted Hide Post
Came back to update, cooking ‘Lima Beans’ today. I read the soaking thing, then read it wasn’t essential. I thought I’d soak for an hour or so.

I have a few things around, sweet potato’s, onion, spices & some ham to mix in. This is just a casual test, no can involved.

Posts: 6132 | Location: WI | Registered: February 29, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
How many of us remember....

Beans, beans are good for your heart.
The more you eat, the more you fart.
The more you fart, the better you feel.
So, eat Beans at every meal.

"Some people are alive today because it's against the law to kill them".

Posts: 8228 | Location: Arizona | Registered: August 17, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of tgtshuter
posted Hide Post
Here’s the version I learned years ago;

Beans, beans, the musical fruit.
The more you eat, the more you toot.
The more you toot, the better you feel,
so let’s have beans for every meal!

Posts: 711 | Location: SC, USA | Registered: October 09, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Only the strong survive
Picture of 41
posted Hide Post
I like the frozen baby lima beans at Walmart.

Posts: 11828 | Location: Herndon, VA | Registered: June 11, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
the large butter beans are great from the can with sun dried tomato pesto on them, with capers and roasted red peppers.

There is something good and motherly about Washington, the grand old benevolent National Asylum for the helpless.
- Mark Twain The Gilded Age

#CNNblackmail #CNNmemewar

Posts: 706 | Location: Seacoast in USA | Registered: September 24, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I'm going to have some baby Lima's tonight with my meatloaf .

Posts: 3970 | Location: Down in Louisiana . | Registered: February 27, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post