SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  What's Your Deal!    AAA, AWAITING TOW. 12HOURS AND COUNTING. DOOFUS MECHANICS
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

AAA, AWAITING TOW. 12HOURS AND COUNTING. DOOFUS MECHANICS Login/Join 
Don't Panic
Picture of joel9507
posted Hide Post
Seems to me a good chunk of the blame resides on the clowns (not) servicing the wheel/tires.

If that'd been done correctly at least once out of all the times the wheel had been worked on, you'd never have needed a special tow truck or AAA at all.

Posts: 15001 | Location: North Carolina | Registered: October 15, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
What the hell is with the repeated issues with the lugs , etc.?

Posts: 3969 | Location: Down in Louisiana . | Registered: February 27, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
No, not like
Bill Clinton
Picture of BigSwede
posted Hide Post
Morons cross threading and or overtightening. I constantly have to run interference between my customers and the service department. I can only guess they will hire anyone willing to turn a wrench, probably don't require training or certification. Yes they suck but I'm still more pissed at AAA, what if my wife or daughter REALLY needed help and I'm not able to help? I can't trust them

It's maddening

An update on the locked rear wheel. The hub they replaced was aftermarket and somehow knocked the parking brake shoes out of whack, locking the hub against the shoes. The fix, grinding off excess metal on the hub that was hitting the parking brake. So far, OK. I had the service manger and another well trained mechanic verify the work this time

Posts: 5301 | Location: GA | Registered: September 23, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
So I’m in the towing business and can tell you (in Arizona at least) that AAA as well as many other roadsides used to be very good. Unfortunately over the years everything has gone up exponentially and the roadside companies don’t pay very well so nobody wants to run for them anymore. Also many roadside services go through the same towing providers so you might call Verizon roadside, Hyundai roadside, sprint roadside, etc and they all use the same towing service. So you might think you have 3 roadsides, but really if one of them can’t give you service it’s likely all 3 of them can’t since they use the same towing thing.

Aaa has different coverages for towing so for not much more money you can upgrade to their “plus” membership which gives you 100 miles of towing covered.

Aaa is ok as long as you know you get what you pay for…. You can have 4, 100 mile tows a year from AAA for like $100 for the year. 4, 100 mile tows if you called off the street and got them would be probably $2000 (depending on where you live)… you’d probably get much faster service if you paid the $2000 for the tows, but…. You’ll get service eventually for the $100 you pay AAA or usually if they can’t find you service they will tell you and you can find your own and get reimbursed (which is great actually you may be out the money briefly you can often get faster service because you pay more out of pocket than AAA would pay a provider)

Posts: 1298 | Location: Arizona | Registered: January 31, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of henryaz
posted Hide Post

When my wife was a working LEO in Montgomery County MD, many times the owner at an accident scene would insist on calling AAA. Usually a long, long wait was projected, so dispatch, after about 15-20 minutes, would call the "nearest available" tow service so they could clear the roadway.

One enterprising tow company named themselves "Nearest Available Towing".

When in doubt, mumble

Posts: 10778 | Location: South Congress AZ | Registered: May 27, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Not as lean, not as mean,
Still a Marine
Picture of Gibb
posted Hide Post
My insurance carrier has roadside assistance. If your vehicle is safe, they allow a 1 hour window for service/tow arrival.
If the vehicle is not in a safe location, it's 30 minutes.

If that time is not available through their dispatch of preferred companies, you can order any company you want and get reimbursed.

I shall respect you until you open your mouth, from that point on, you must earn it yourself.

Posts: 3352 | Location: Southern Maine | Registered: February 10, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Dances With
Tornados
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by henryaz:

HA!!! That reminds me, in Dallas TX there is one named The Dallas Towboys.

Posts: 11812 | Registered: October 26, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Did not renew AAA as Ins. Offered same deal only cheaper.

Ten months later:
Called Ins. For a battery jump start
Dispatcher quoted a 90 minute wait time.

Called my brother ,he was there in 15 min.
Meanwhile the tow truck pulls up and is all kinds of distraught that he missed an opportunity.

We got AAA shortly thereafter .

Safety, Situational Awareness and proficiency.

Neck Ties, Hats and ammo brass, Never ,ever touch'em w/o asking first

Posts: 54500 | Location: Henry County , Il | Registered: February 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Beanhead
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Kskelton:
So I’m in the towing business and can tell you (in Arizona at least) that AAA as well as many other roadsides used to be very good. Unfortunately over the years everything has gone up exponentially and the roadside companies don’t pay very well so nobody wants to run for them anymore. Also many roadside services go through the same towing providers so you might call Verizon roadside, Hyundai roadside, sprint roadside, etc and they all use the same towing service. So you might think you have 3 roadsides, but really if one of them can’t give you service it’s likely all 3 of them can’t since they use the same towing thing.

Aaa has different coverages for towing so for not much more money you can upgrade to their “plus” membership which gives you 100 miles of towing covered.

Aaa is ok as long as you know you get what you pay for…. You can have 4, 100 mile tows a year from AAA for like $100 for the year. 4, 100 mile tows if you called off the street and got them would be probably $2000 (depending on where you live)… you’d probably get much faster service if you paid the $2000 for the tows, but…. You’ll get service eventually for the $100 you pay AAA or usually if they can’t find you service they will tell you and you can find your own and get reimbursed (which is great actually you may be out the money briefly you can often get faster service because you pay more out of pocket than AAA would pay a provider)

The most accurate post I have seen in a long time. The towing industry is unregulated and they are going to take that higher rate tow than the discounted ones. Your aaa, insurance company, or car mfg don’t own a tow truck…they all call around. OP called and it was obvious it was a busy night.

Posts: 1343 | Location: Georgia | Registered: May 27, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
His diet consists of black
coffee, and sarcasm.
Picture of egregore
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by OKCGene:
quote:
Originally posted by henryaz:

HA!!! That reminds me, in Dallas TX there is one named The Dallas Towboys.

Posts: 27834 | Location: Johnson City/Elizabethton, TN | Registered: April 28, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Kskelton:
So I’m in the towing business and can tell you (in Arizona at least) that AAA as well as many other roadsides used to be very good. Unfortunately over the years everything has gone up exponentially and the roadside companies don’t pay very well so nobody wants to run for them anymore.

This was confirmed to me last summer by a local towing guy in Iowa I called to haul my motorcycle with a flat tire to a shop. In that situation, even though I have AAA, I decided in the heat of the moment not to waste my time calling them because I knew I would probably sit there for hours, not get the bike to the shop before they closed, and have to spend the night in some podunk town without a hotel, camping on the side of the road. Instead I called the closest tow company direct, begged them to load my bike onto a flat bed (sketchy) and tow it to the bike shop, which was two blocks from their shop. The driver who picked me up confirmed that they wouldn't have responded to a AAA call because of the low rates. Long story short, even though it was an expensive tow, it was the right call because I was able to get to the shop and change the rear tire and get back on the road in 3.5 hours from my first call.

Posts: 2465 | Location: WI | Registered: December 29, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Dances With
Tornados
posted Hide Post
If you live in a semi-major to major city where AAA has a yard, office, and a bunch of trucks stationed, you're ok, they can respond well.

If I'm traveling, even just 50 miles out of town, I always make sure I have a fully charged cell phone, major credit card or 2, and a wad of cash. I will have at least $500 cash on me.

Cash gets things done. Credit cards may not.

Posts: 11812 | Registered: October 26, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Prepared for the Worst, Providing the Best
Picture of 92fstech
posted Hide Post
AAA sucks around here. They dispatch trucks out of Chicago when people call...and that's over 2 hours away. Nobody local will contract with them because they don't pay enough, or so the wrecker drivers tell me. I run into it all the time at work...people want to call AAA instead of calling a local wrecker because they paid for the membership...sorry lady, I can't sit out here and tie up the roadway and everybody else on it for 2+ hours while they send somebody from the next state over. We'll call next on rotation and you can argue with AAA over the bill.

It really does suck, because people pay for the service and depend on it to have them covered when something goes wrong....then get kicked while they're down when it does. Just this afternoon I was off-duty driving home in the work car and happened upon a disabled vehicle on the side of the road. 16 year-old kid (who looked about 12!) driving his little brother home from Karate, and ran out of gas. It was about 15 degrees out, he was a good 10 miles from home, and had no idea what to do. Dad was out of state and mom wouldn't answer her phone. Dad had told him to call AAA...I told him if he waited on them they'd be sitting there for hours, and probably be icicles by the time they got there. Thankfully we weren't far from my house, so I had my wife run a gas can down and then followed him home to make sure he made it. AAA is a joke.

Posts: 8415 | Location: In the Cornfields | Registered: May 25, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I know this is the pitch a complaint section, but I've had very good luck with AAA the few times I've used them. They don't have their own trucks in this area and use local tow companies.

The one time they failed, I was off road at a mine site when my rental Suburban locked the doors on its own when I got out. Gave up trying to explain where I was and called a local company on my own.

Posts: 563 | Location: Wyoming | Registered: February 26, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post