SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  What's Your Deal!    Off to Home Depot in the morning.
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Off to Home Depot in the morning. Login/Join 
Fighting the good fight
Picture of RogueJSK
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by mark123:
I’ve always liked these instead of wax gaskets.

The reviews for that aren't very encouraging.

Lots of 5 star reviews about how easy they are to install, alongside lots of 1 star reviews about how they're easy to install but fail and leak after a year or two. (Which highlights one major drawback of 5 star online reviews like this, most of which are posted immediately after purchase and reflect initial impressions only, and therefore tend to be a very poor indicators of long-term performance/reliability.)

If that's the case, I'd rather do it right once with a little more effort, rather than take the easy route at install but then have to clean up leaking toilet water and redo it every couple years.

Anyone have any long-term experience with these non-wax gaskets?

Posts: 32494 | Location: Northwest Arkansas | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Page late and a dollar short
posted Hide Post
I went with wax. It did leak a bit but I just had to tighten it down a bit more. I tend to tighten things down more than I should so anymore I use a torque wrench whenever I can as my calibrated arm is out of whack!

-------------------------------------——————
————————--Ignorance is a powerful tool if applied at the right time, even, usually, surpassing knowledge(E.J.Potter, A.K.A. The Michigan Madman)

Posts: 8099 | Location: Livingston County Michigan USA | Registered: August 11, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by shovelhead:
Thanks all for the humor and encouragement.
I stand corrected, much nicer and easier for my beat up knees.

Stand? Don't you mean "sit?"

P229

Posts: 3823 | Location: Sacramento, CA | Registered: November 21, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Russ59:
quote:
Originally posted by shovelhead:
Thanks all for the humor and encouragement.
I stand corrected, much nicer and easier for my beat up knees.

Stand? Don't you mean "sit?"

That too!

————————--Ignorance is a powerful tool if applied at the right time, even, usually, surpassing knowledge(E.J.Potter, A.K.A. The Michigan Madman)

Posts: 8099 | Location: Livingston County Michigan USA | Registered: August 11, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
After going grocery shopping the other day and seeing the price increases I decided to “damn the torpedoes, full speed ahead” and just replace it now. The future availability and pricing is just too much of a wild card at present to gamble at least in my mind.

Also needed a new LED lamp to replace the fluorescent lamp that smoked a ballast Monday, same ones last summer I bought four of last spring have jumped by ten dollars so got that today also.

Just finished the install and so far no leaks!

Thank you
Very little
Picture of HRK
posted Hide Post
Good thing, taller and elongated, you never know what you'll find on utoob or sig forum, hours can pass before you pass things...

And yes if you need things or want to do the other one, do it now, supply chain and all that shidt.

We just picked up tile, new cabinet, new tub, etc for daughters house revamp of guest bath in a few months. Better to have it now then try and find it later..

Posts: 23393 | Location: Florida | Registered: November 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
W07VH5
Picture of mark123
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by RogueJSK:
quote:
Originally posted by mark123:
I’ve always liked these instead of wax gaskets.

The reviews for that aren't very encouraging.

Lots of 5 star reviews about how easy they are to install, alongside lots of 1 star reviews about how they're easy to install but fail and leak after a year or two. (Which highlights one major drawback of 5 star online reviews like this, most of which are posted immediately after purchase and reflect initial impressions only, and therefore tend to be a very poor indicators of long-term performance/reliability.)

If that's the case, I'd rather do it right once with a little more effort, rather than take the easy route at install but then have to clean up leaking toilet water and redo it every couple years.

Anyone have any long-term experience with these non-wax gaskets?
I have one in for 9 years now. I bought two more for the other toilets in the house but haven't installed them. I'll check out the reviews.

Posts: 45369 | Location: Pennsyltucky | Registered: December 05, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post