SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  What's Your Deal!    Off to Home Depot in the morning.
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Off to Home Depot in the morning. Login/Join 
Page late and a dollar short
posted
Well my 4 y/o grandson must have flushed something down the toilet yesterday afternoon.

Drain cleaner didn’t do anything, tried to snake it out to no avail, whatever it is apparently is trapped in the “s” and I’m afraid of it actually getting pushed down into the PVC if I dislodge it the wrong way.

There are the original builder grade commodes circa 1994 and this one has needed the internals replaced for some time and both have been problematic at times for clogging.

So if I’m going to have to pull it to remove whatever is trapped I might as well just replace it, that is my thought anyhow. What a Christmas present, a new WC!

Planned on a afternoon range day, looks like my plans have changed.

-------------------------------------——————
————————--Ignorance is a powerful tool if applied at the right time, even, usually, surpassing knowledge(E.J.Potter, A.K.A. The Michigan Madman)

Posts: 8066 | Location: Livingston County Michigan USA | Registered: August 11, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
That's a shitty situation.

When moving into my first place, the toilet wouldn't flush very well.
The plumber come out and asked what was flushed down the toilet. I stated I had just moved in and this is how I found it.
He said there was something suck in it. He pulled the toilet and wrested with it for a while before pulling out a hair comb/pick.

Posts: 10045 | Registered: October 15, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
"Member"
Picture of cas
posted Hide Post
I used to do that for a living. Combs, razors, tooth brushes and tooth past tubes were the number one culprit for the toilet. And often toys. Seen a few phones in recent years (other people took out)

Strangest things in a house trap was a duck (who flushed a duck and why?) The other interesting one of note was a bag of crack vials. Found out the cops had come at some point (go figure) right before the previous tenants had to move out (go figure). Hmmmm... lol

Posts: 21053 | Location: 18th & Fairfax  | Registered: May 17, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Ripley
posted Hide Post
Some good advice from a contractor friend, never do plumbing work on a Friday. I know it was out of your control, shovelhead, but general words of warning. Eek

Set the controls for the heart of the Sun.

Posts: 8310 | Location: Flown-over country | Registered: December 25, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
We have another full bath and one half bath so not in total panic.

Figured if I have a plumber come out I’m looking at a 200 dollar bill to pull the commode so why not just do it myself and replace it at the same time.

————————--Ignorance is a powerful tool if applied at the right time, even, usually, surpassing knowledge(E.J.Potter, A.K.A. The Michigan Madman)

Posts: 8066 | Location: Livingston County Michigan USA | Registered: August 11, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
אַרְיֵה
Picture of V-Tail
posted Hide Post

הרחפת שלי מלאה בצלופחים

Posts: 30545 | Location: Central Florida, Orlando area | Registered: January 03, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Rumors of my death
are greatly exaggerated
Picture of coloradohunter44
posted Hide Post
Buy an extra wax ring and double up on the new one you install. A professional showed me that trick. Makes them seal up better.

"Someday I hope to be half the man my bird-dog thinks I am."

FBLM LGB!

Posts: 10895 | Location: Commirado | Registered: July 23, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by V-Tail:

THE MIGHTY FERGUSON

Posts: 362 | Location: Mansfield, TX | Registered: April 08, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of sourdough44
posted Hide Post
I remember a plumber mentioning a beer can or two, plugging the line.

Posts: 6132 | Location: WI | Registered: February 29, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by coloradohunter44:
Buy an extra wax ring and double up on the new one you install. A professional showed me that trick. Makes them seal up better.

That's probably the only thing I know about installing a toilet, and I agree.

Posts: 5143 | Location: Iowa | Registered: February 24, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by sourdough44:
I remember a plumber mentioning a beer can or two, plugging the line.

He’s four, I would hope not yet!

Go Vols!
Picture of Oz_Shadow
posted Hide Post
The Cadet 3 is cheaper and can be found with the slow close seat and ring. Pretty good flusher.

Posts: 17871 | Location: SE Michigan | Registered: February 10, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I have replaced a few toilets recently and a while ago in my home and other family members and it is easy to do. Home Depot or Lowes has some nice,new types of toilets that are better than older ones and have all the internals installed in them already from the factory. I have used the newer type of sealers,(some have wax rings in them while others do not), and I think they work and install easier than a simple wax ring. I have yet to have a problem with them and it has been years ago that I replaced them. Danco has one called "Next" and Fluidmaster has a couple. If you happen to screw up the placement on the wax ring for whatever reason it's not good but the newer types of seals are more forgiving.

Posts: 6840 | Location: Treasure Coast,Fl. | Registered: July 04, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Thanks all for the humor and encouragement.

I went with the American Standard Champion. Better warranty and supposed to be clog resistant. And at 209 vs. 189 a no brained at least to me. Also got the taller model, originally thought how much difference can it make? I stand corrected, much nicer and easier for my beat up knees.

Only had two problems with the install, first one of the floor mounting bolts had a boogered thread, a quick chase with a 1/4-20 die fixed that. Second, had a slight bowl to flange leak, my own fault as I didn’t tighten it down enough initially, all good now.

So I’m now committed to replace the one in the master bath next, I’ll wait until January’s check gets here.

posted Hide Post
Also forgot, yesterday the basement bathroom has a pit and an ejector pump. And guess what I found? Yep, one of the flex connectors on the check valve started leaking. So that was my fun yesterday afternoon.

I hate plumbing work with a passion, it seems every time I try to do anything it becomes a major epic saga.

posted Hide Post
The Champion is an excellent choice. Due to a medical condition, I am, shall we say, overly productive. I've never been able to clog a Champion. I've got 3. (and had two at my previous house.)

Posts: 17121 | Location: Lexington, KY | Registered: October 15, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
W07VH5
Picture of mark123
posted Hide Post
I’ve always liked these instead of wax gaskets.

Posts: 45331 | Location: Pennsyltucky | Registered: December 05, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
His Royal Hiney
Picture of Rey HRH
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by shovelhead:

I went with the American Standard Champion. Better warranty and supposed to be clog resistant. And at 209 vs. 189 a no brained at least to me. Also got the taller model, originally thought how much difference can it make? I stand corrected, much nicer and easier for my beat up knees.

Only had two problems with the install, first one of the floor mounting bolts had a boogered thread, a quick chase with a 1/4-20 die fixed that. Second, had a slight bowl to flange leak, my own fault as I didn’t tighten it down enough initially, all good now.

So I’m now committed to replace the one in the master bath next, I’ll wait until January’s check gets here.

Did you get what was plugging it up?

"It did not really matter what we expected from life, but rather what life expected from us. We needed to stop asking about the meaning of life, and instead to think of ourselves as those who were being questioned by life – daily and hourly. Our answer must consist not in talk and meditation, but in right action and in right conduct. Life ultimately means taking the responsibility to find the right answer to its problems and to fulfill the tasks which it constantly sets for each individual." Viktor Frankl, Man's Search for Meaning, 1946.

Posts: 19583 | Location: The Free State of Arizona - Ditat Deus | Registered: March 24, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Rey HRH:
quote:
Originally posted by shovelhead:

Did you get what was plugging it up?

Well I saw the plug at where the bowl met the flange on the bowl side, literally plugged solid with waste. The roll of TP was almost empty so I have an idea that it was the combination of the two. As much curiosity I had(!) whatever was in there was nothing I would want to reclaim. Probably better off not to know. From the flange down the pipe was clear. One good thing was that the tub/shower connects to this pipe within three feet and the tub drained fine so I knew about where the problem was. I really expected the discharge pipe to be plugged somewhere, just how my luck works.

These commodes have been problematic since the first day we moved in here in '04. First generation of low flow models. As all the houses in this development were built by the same builder from the late 80's through 94-5 it is not unusual to see one alongside the street on bulk pickup day.

I'm going to give it a few days to see if any discount coupons come through from Home Depot and if not just go ahead and pick up another one to replace the master bath's also before the price jumps up.

Then today I had to have an odor investigation, smelled something like combustion gas from the furnace or hot water heater but not really that. Had the gas company come out, all checked out fine with a sniffer. The serviceman from the gas company and I were both wondering, he pointed to the one Fluorescent light fixture in my workshop near the furnace and said "Maybe the ballast?" Sure enough, ballast was stinking. When I took it down I realized it was one of the two we took out of my late F-I-L's basement. As it was bolted to the ceiling I had to take the cover off. I'm not saying it was old but the ballast's label had the company address shown as Chicago,18, Illinois. So pre 63?

His Royal Hiney
Picture of Rey HRH
posted Hide Post
I've had two new built houses and one new built apartment we're renting now. The last house we owned and the apartment ended up getting plugged shortly after moving in.

It was new build debris of parts of lumber that blocked the pipe in both cases.

"It did not really matter what we expected from life, but rather what life expected from us. We needed to stop asking about the meaning of life, and instead to think of ourselves as those who were being questioned by life – daily and hourly. Our answer must consist not in talk and meditation, but in right action and in right conduct. Life ultimately means taking the responsibility to find the right answer to its problems and to fulfill the tasks which it constantly sets for each individual." Viktor Frankl, Man's Search for Meaning, 1946.

Posts: 19583 | Location: The Free State of Arizona - Ditat Deus | Registered: March 24, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post