SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  What's Your Deal!    Gas Cans
Page 1 2 3 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Gas Cans Login/Join 
Three Generations
of Service
Picture of PHPaul
posted Hide Post
Around here, old non-nanny plastic 5 gallon gas cans disappear from yard sales in a heartbeat.

I have 3 in various colors...

Be careful when following the masses. Sometimes the M is silent.

Posts: 15181 | Location: Downeast Maine | Registered: March 10, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of sourdough44
posted Hide Post
These new cans have always been a BIG pet peeve of mine. Of course the ones I use are all older, respouted, or ‘modified’. I still occasional use a neighbors or relatives can to fuel something up.

I was hoping back in the Trump years to correct the nonsense. I’ve never seen so much spilled fuel as with the newer abominations.

Posts: 6132 | Location: WI | Registered: February 29, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I just drill out the restriction .

Posts: 3970 | Location: Down in Louisiana . | Registered: February 27, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Non-Miscreant
posted Hide Post
The best place to get 5 gal gas cans is along the interstate. I'll settle for 1 gal or 2 gas, too.
The fools that run out of gas hike to a filling station, or call a buddy to bring some. Then they leave the can along side the road. Often over the guard rail. How many you need? I've still got a few in the top of the garage, and my son probably has dozens.

Back when he got a motor home, it barely had enough fuel to get him home. I have no idea why he didn't stop on the way home. Anyway, I dug into my collection and brought him fuel. At least 30 gallons, probably more. Yeah, in a show of gratitude, he kept the cans, too. Over the last week or so, I've been noticing more along side the interstates. Just stop and pick them up. Be safe. And don't bypass an obviously damaged can. The lid still might be good.

Unhappy ammo seeker

Posts: 18385 | Location: Kentucky, USA | Registered: February 25, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by HRK:
If you have the Red Safety Gas cans the parts are available to convert them to free flowing

1) Gas Can Jug Vent Caps - Link

2)Free Flow spout - Link

I have these on all my gas cans. You will fill your mower as quick as a nascar pit crew.

Posts: 5406 | Location: Pittsburgh, PA, USA | Registered: February 27, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
In the yahd, not too
fah from the cah
Picture of ryan81986
posted Hide Post
Anyone ever use the jerry cans that harbor freight sells?

Posts: 6339 | Location: Just outside of Boston | Registered: March 28, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of sigcrazy7
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ryan81986:

Although they may be made by the same company, they don’t have the cam style lid of the Wavians. Besides, the actual Wavians are cheaper on rover parts.com that I already mentioned.

It’s $59.99 for the HF can with the shitty lid. A two pack of genuine Wavians is $89.99 from Atlantic British.

https://www.roverparts.com/off.../jerry-cans/GJC20K2/

After all these years of posting the link to Roverparts.com, I wonder why the reluctance on members to just go there and get the best gas can money can buy. Sometime the EPA will figure out that these fuel cans are being sold legally because of a “water only” removable sticker, and put a stop to it. Then there will be pining from those who wish they has bought them when they had the chance.

Demand not that events should happen as you wish; but wish them to happen as they do happen, and you will go on well. -Epictetus

Posts: 8202 | Location: Utah | Registered: December 18, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Grandiosity is a sign
of mental illness
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by sigcrazy7:
quote:

Although they may be made by the same company, they don’t have the cam style lid of the Wavians. Besides, the actual Wavians are cheaper on rover parts.com that I already mentioned.

It’s $59.99 for the HF can with the shitty lid. A two pack of genuine Wavians is $89.99 from Atlantic British.

After all these years of posting the link to Roverparts.com, I wonder why the reluctance on members to just go there and get the best gas can money can buy. Sometime the EPA will figure out that these fuel cans are being sold legally because of a “water only” removable sticker, and put a stop to it. Then there will be pining from those who wish they has bought them when they had the chance.

I bought a couple from them recently and I was very impressed. These look as good as the couple of 'pre ban' cans I have that have been going strong for decades now.

Posts: 2453 | Location: MO | Registered: March 07, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d...pop_mob_b_asin_title

To "fix" plastic gas cans. Everything you need.

I bought a few of these a year or so ago. Work great, fast flow. Price has doubled in a year.

https://www.amazon.com/Justrit...st_sto_dp&th=1&psc=1

Posts: 1038 | Location: New Jersey | Registered: August 16, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Ice age heat wave,
cant complain.
Picture of MikeGLI
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by sigcrazy7:
quote:

I bought a 4 pack a few years ago and I love the the cans. They don't spill, they don't smell, doesn't matter how you store them. I purchased a siphon because the donkey dick that came with mine was a piece of shit. I don't have much by way of extra space at the moment, but i'd buy another 4 in a heartbeat, especially being in FL where we can go a few days without power in a bad storm.

NRA Life Member
Steak: Rare. Coffee: Black. Bourbon: Neat.

Posts: 9676 | Location: Orlando, Florida | Registered: July 12, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Stupid question. Those green Wavians are stated to be for water. If you get the red gas can at the same site it’s twice the price. Are they the same can just different color or what?

I also noticed the against federal law bs. Is that just an EPA fumes nonsense?

Posts: 7348 | Location: Florida | Registered: June 18, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Wavian NATO cans with this spout: Flex Spout

Posts: 185 | Registered: December 27, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of sigcrazy7
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by pedropcola:
Stupid question. Those green Wavians are stated to be for water. If you get the red gas can at the same site it’s twice the price. Are they the same can just different color or what?

Same can, different color. The red cans ship with one of the compliant, unusable spouts. The green cans actually have “PETROL” stamped into them. The “water only” sticker easily peels off. This is why I’m convinced that one day the EPA will crack down on this deal.

The best spout is the flexible one.

Flexible Spout

Demand not that events should happen as you wish; but wish them to happen as they do happen, and you will go on well. -Epictetus

Posts: 8202 | Location: Utah | Registered: December 18, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Non-Miscreant
posted Hide Post
Guess I suffer from incurable cheapness. I can't imagine paying $60 or $90 for a gas can or two. Why? The other day I was out in the garage grinding ice. Yeah, for snow cones that I give away. I counted 5 gas cans. Some old, some really old. One was my fathers from the dark ages. Its steel and red. Probably from the 1950s or earlier. How the hell do you lose a gas can? I know, they're beside the highway where some fool left them. For me!

Unhappy ammo seeker

Posts: 18385 | Location: Kentucky, USA | Registered: February 25, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
semi-reformed sailor
Picture of MikeinNC
posted Hide Post
I bought two motorcycle gas cans from Buckees. They’re VP brand. I use these for the truck in case we have to unass the AOR. Boom, ten gallons of gas on hand, let’s go. I add stabil and replace the gas annually.

For my lawnmower I bought the adapter spout and vent from somewhere online for the red gallon plastic can that comes with the unoperable green safe the planet bullshit

"Violence, naked force, has settled more issues in history than has any other factor.” Robert A. Heinlein

“You may beat me, but you will never win.” sigmonkey-2020

“A single round of buckshot to the torso almost always results in an immediate change of behavior.” Chris Baker

Posts: 11247 | Location: Temple, Texas! | Registered: October 07, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by pedropcola:

I’ve had 5 of the green Wavian 20 liter cans for years. That color worked fine for the Germans in WW2; been working fine for me also.

Posts: 1169 | Location: NE Indiana  | Registered: January 20, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Ha ha. I thought there wasn’t a difference I just wasn’t sure.

Posts: 7348 | Location: Florida | Registered: June 18, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
About 5' of 1" clear hose, one end in the container the other in the fuel filler neck. cover the opening of the gas can with your hand or rag, squeeze the can to start the siphon and about 30 seconds later the gas can is empty and you don't have to hold it.

No marina on my lake so all my fuel is brought to the boat in these stupid plastic containers. A siphon makes the type of nozzle irrelevent.

I do like the new style nozzles for my leaf blower, trimmer, and chain saw as the tanks are very small so the stupid slow flow rate of the nozzle is a plus for this equipment.

Posts: 727 | Location: Raleigh, NC | Registered: May 15, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Grandiosity is a sign
of mental illness
posted Hide Post
I picked up a couple more Wavian water cans while I could.

Something I've picking up a habit of doing the last couple of years.... if I like something enough to buy it, I buy extra while it's still available. A few too many times lately there's been something I know and like, try to buy some more only to find out it's been discontinued.

Posts: 2453 | Location: MO | Registered: March 07, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Shall Not Be Infringed
Picture of nhracecraft
posted Hide Post

If Some is Good, and More is Better.....then Too Much, is Just Enough !!
Trump 2024....Save America!
"May Almighty God bless the United States of America" - parabellum 7/26/20
Live Free or Die!

Posts: 8787 | Location: New Hampshire | Registered: October 29, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post