SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  What's Your Deal!    Gas Cans
Page 1 2 3 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Gas Cans Login/Join 
posted
When exactly was it decided that a gas can should take three hands and a prehensile tail to operate all the locks, interlocks, outerlocks, safeties, failsafes and overrides on a modern red plastic gas can while juggling 40 pounds of gas with one hand? It's a first world problem, I've been in places where gas was carried in buckets and glass jugs, but isn't a brass screen spark arrester/gurgle stopper enough? Where can I get a can that opens and pours without an instrument flight rating and PhDs in quantum mechanics and Eastern Philosophies? And 40 beans for just enough plastic to hold 5 gallons?

Lastly, according to the zit-faced kid who has his finger on the pump kill switch it is actually a federal case when I show up at the inconvenience store with empty Mountain Dew 2-liter bottles and a funnel to buy ethanol with some fuel in it.

At least I don't try to carry it in plastic bags.

Posts: 632 | Registered: June 11, 2018Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Prefontaine
posted Hide Post
I bought a 5 gallon for my lawn machines. Oh my, what a PITA to use. Stupid me got tired of the 1 gallon one and having to fill it so bought the 5 gallon. Big mistake and friends have said the exact same thing.

You can buy VP MX jugs on Amazon. I think they are 5 gallon. I use them for carrying spare fuel for my PWC for lake refills so I don’t have to buy gas on the water. They operate old school and extremely simple. You buy separately a lid with a hose on the end and they work extremely well.

What am I doing? I'm talking to an empty telephone

Posts: 12567 | Location: Down South | Registered: January 16, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Did you come from behind
that rock, or from under it?

Picture of Audioholic
posted Hide Post
I have a couple of the EPA-tarded gas cans and replaced the spouts with ones that actually pour. I used the EZ-Pour brand from Bezos Bazaar and they've worked nicely. You'll have to check to see what works with your type of can.

EZ-Pour spouts @ Amazon

"Every time you think you weaken the nation" Moe Howard

Posts: 2048 | Location: Out standing in my field. | Registered: February 07, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of SIGfourme
posted Hide Post
Old school— Wavian gas cans.

Posts: 2295 | Location: Southeast CT | Registered: January 18, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post

Posts: 10045 | Registered: October 15, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Go Vols!
Picture of Oz_Shadow
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Prefontaine:
I bought a 5 gallon for my lawn machines. Oh my, what a PITA to use. Stupid me got tired of the 1 gallon one and having to fill it so bought the 5 gallon. Big mistake and friends have said the exact same thing.

You can buy VP MX jugs on Amazon. I think they are 5 gallon. I use them for carrying spare fuel for my PWC for lake refills so I don’t have to buy gas on the water. They operate old school and extremely simple. You buy separately a lid with a hose on the end and they work extremely well.

Even those can pinch at certain angles. I’ve seen some bend holder adaptors to help.

Posts: 17871 | Location: SE Michigan | Registered: February 10, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fighting the good fight
Picture of RogueJSK
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by kidcop:
Where can I get a can that opens and pours without an instrument flight rating and PhDs in quantum mechanics and Eastern Philosophies?

Eagle brand gas cans. Metal construction, and the spout is way better than the multi-step EPA-compliant non-spill nozzles on plastic cans these days.

https://eagle.justrite.com/saf...cans/type-i?color=13

Posts: 32417 | Location: Northwest Arkansas | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Striker in waiting
Picture of BurtonRW
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by SIGfourme:

This. Without question. Last I looked, Lexington Container Co. still sold (somehow) old fashioned jerry can nozzles to go with them as well.

I have several. I spill less gas than with any of the no-spill garbage I’ve tried.

-Rob

I predict that there will be many suggestions and statements about the law made here, and some of them will be spectacularly wrong. - jhe888

A=A

Posts: 16263 | Location: Maryland, AA Co. | Registered: March 16, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of sigcrazy7
posted Hide Post
Buy Wavians from Atlantic British.
www.roverparts.com

Or you can get a commercial can. I personally prefer a JustRite Type II. Quit your cryin’ and start your buyin’. $100 for a JustRite might seem like a lot for a gas can, but you’ll only need to buy one and it will last a lifetime.

https://www.amazon.com/Justrit...2%2Caps%2C220&sr=8-3

Demand not that events should happen as you wish; but wish them to happen as they do happen, and you will go on well. -Epictetus

Posts: 8197 | Location: Utah | Registered: December 18, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Down the Rabbit Hole
Picture of Jupiter
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by SIGfourme:

I have 5 of them. Great cans.
I also have a couple of rotopax for the 4Runner and motorcycles.

Diligentia, Vis, Celeritas

"People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf."
-- George Orwell

Posts: 4823 | Location: North Mississippi | Registered: August 09, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
A Grateful American
Picture of sigmonkey
posted Hide Post
The amount of fuel spilled because of these EPS mandated containers, far exceed any amount that otherwise would occur with containers we had that worked.

"the meaning of life, is to give life meaning" Ani Yehudi אני יהודי Le'olam lo shuv לעולם לא שוב!

Posts: 43809 | Location: ...... I am thrice divorced, and I live in a van DOWN BY THE RIVER!!! (in Arkansas) | Registered: December 20, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Notary Sojac
Picture of festus haggen
posted Hide Post
Has anyone used a battery powered pump like this?

https://www.sportystoolshop.co...l-transfer-pump.html

They look good but not sure if they work as advertised.

Golden lads and girls all must,
As chimney-sweepers, come to dust.

Posts: 367 | Location: Maryland | Registered: June 13, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of henryaz
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by sigcrazy7:
Or you can get a commercial can. I personally prefer a JustRite Type II. Quit your cryin’ and start your buyin’. $100 for a JustRite might seem like a lot for a gas can, but you’ll only need to buy one and it will last a lifetime.

The Justrite type 2s are all I use. They are an investment that lasts. They (and the Wavians also) come in colors, red for gas, yellow for diesel, blue for kerosene, and green for oil.

When in doubt, mumble

Posts: 10778 | Location: South Congress AZ | Registered: May 27, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Leemur
posted Hide Post
Yeah I have exactly ONE of those hippie idiot nozzles. Replaced it with a “water can” nozzle after the first use.

Posts: 13734 | Location: Shenandoah Valley, VA | Registered: October 16, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Spread the Disease
Picture of flesheatingvirus
posted Hide Post
Go jerry!

https://www.jerrycan.com/

-- Fear is the mind-killer. Fear is the little-death that brings total obliteration. I will face my fear. I will permit it to pass over me and through me. And when it has gone past me I will turn the inner eye to see its path. Where the fear has gone there will be nothing. Only I will remain. --

Posts: 17244 | Location: New Mexico | Registered: October 14, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Thank you
Very little
Picture of HRK
posted Hide Post
If you have the Red Safety Gas cans the parts are available to convert them to free flowing

1) Gas Can Jug Vent Caps - Link

2)Free Flow spout - Link

Posts: 23236 | Location: Florida | Registered: November 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Shit don't
mean shit
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Oz_Shadow:
quote:
Originally posted by Prefontaine:

Even those can pinch at certain angles. I’ve seen some bend holder adaptors to help.

This^^^.
I've got 6 of the VP 5 gallon cans with the bender.

Posts: 5733 | Location: 7400 feet in Conifer CO | Registered: November 14, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of sigcrazy7
posted Hide Post
For long term gas storage, I use Wavians. I’ve stored gas in them for half a decade and the gas was like new (E free + Stabil + Seafoam). For daily use, I use JustRite Type II. For going to the lake and filling the boat, I have ten or so VP racing cans.

I have a lot of gas cans, more than thirty, but zero EPA compliant ones.

Demand not that events should happen as you wish; but wish them to happen as they do happen, and you will go on well. -Epictetus

Posts: 8197 | Location: Utah | Registered: December 18, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Savor the limelight
posted Hide Post
Tractor Supply: $20 gas can.

I bought three of the above and they are not that bad. Still slower than a real gas can, but the spout is stout enough to hold the weight of the full can when tipped upside down. There’s a lip on the mechanism to keeps the valve open when used this way. I used these to fill the Sea-Doo without spillage. You do have make sure you orient the vent portion of the nozzle such that the gas doesn’t pour across it.

Posts: 10816 | Location: SWFL | Registered: October 10, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
W07VH5
Picture of mark123
posted Hide Post
I have four of these that have served me well.

EAGLE 5-GAL SAFETY GAS CAN TYPE I

Posts: 45330 | Location: Pennsyltucky | Registered: December 05, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post