SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  What's Your Deal!    Promotion time!!!
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Promotion time!!! Login/Join 
posted
Well, w/ a Lt. retiring it is now time for promotions. Sgt’s. going for a Lt’s spot and officers trying to get a Sgt’s spot. Let the ball sack gargling and ass kissing begin!!!! Oh, almost forgot the backstabbing… the Blue Falcons will be out in force.

Posts: 4055 | Registered: January 17, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
It's fun to watch.

Posts: 7019 | Registered: April 02, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
A Grateful American
Picture of sigmonkey
posted Hide Post

"the meaning of life, is to give life meaning" Ani Yehudi אני יהודי Le'olam lo shuv לעולם לא שוב!

Posts: 43876 | Location: ...... I am thrice divorced, and I live in a van DOWN BY THE RIVER!!! (in Arkansas) | Registered: December 20, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Do No Harm,
Do Know Harm
posted Hide Post
I always said that promotion by popular election wasn’t any worse than any of the other methods.

My agency spends a ton of money on promotions. Not sure how big yours is, but I’ve seen some pretty stupid screw-ups due to incompetent HR trolls being involved. Pay a wad of cash for a professional outfit to run the process, then HR manages to screw something up on the backend.

It sure can be entertaining though.

Despite HR, our current way works as well or better than any others I’ve seen.

But I still wanna try popular election, just to see if I’m right. We still get some WTFs promoted even with our system.

Knowing what one is talking about is widely admired but not strictly required here.

Although sometimes distracting, there is often a certain entertainment value to this easy standard.
-JALLEN

"All I need is a WAR ON DRUGS reference and I got myself a police thread BINGO." -jljones

Posts: 11448 | Location: NC | Registered: August 16, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Agree 100%. I was the FOP President, on the contract negotiating team from time to time and active in our union.
Which meant that I often had to voice my opposition to stupid policy implementations, involve myself in half ass disciplinary actions and question how the budget was being spent.
Along comes promotion time. I would score in the high 90% per cent on the written phase and my evaluations were very good. Then when I did the oral portion of the process, I "scored poorly" and my answers were not sufficient to earn the promotion.
So, I would interview the butt kissers and yes men who got the stripes about their answers to the exact same questions I was asked, and their answers were the same as mine, almost word for word. No promotion for me!
Funny how that worked out. Every time. Its a real mystery! Roll Eyes

End of Earth: 2 Miles
Upper Peninsula: 4 Miles

Posts: 16087 | Location: Marquette MI | Registered: July 08, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Laugh or Die
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by sigmonkey:

LOL I have never seen that before it's hilarious Big Grin

Posts: 10202 | Location: NC | Registered: May 17, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Objectively Reasonable
Picture of DennisM
posted Hide Post
I might know somebody who used to carry around warehouse-store sized packages of Chapstick at times like this, liberally offering free samples to the "usual suspects."

That person will be retiring as a regular ol' non-supervisory working guy, which might be somewhat connected to stunts like the above.

Posts: 2462 | Registered: January 01, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
His diet consists of black
coffee, and sarcasm.
Picture of egregore
posted Hide Post
I like how people get promotions in Star Trek's "mirror universe" or the Klingon Empire. Big Grin

Posts: 27951 | Location: Johnson City, TN | Registered: April 28, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Stop the clock and put away the calendar, back up a half-century with me. Never seek nor accept any promotion. Remain a happy private in the rear rank, then take your pension with you as you find somewhere else to spend it without having to deal with the idiots you used to report to.

When I was the guy in charge I made entirely different mistakes, but I did so with style and class, usually adding in a little inappropriate humor to lighten each situation just a bit.

Started out with badge number 199, retired with badge number 1. I was a lot happier as the junior guy on the night shift than I ever was in the top floor office. During my last few years on the job I enjoyed suiting up and walking my old downtown beat in the middle of the night, or riding along with the new guy and letting him make all the decisions (and do all the paperwork, of course).

Yes, we actually walked foot beats when I started on the job. Tower lights to alert us when to find a call box and check in with dispatch for the next assignment. Portable radios weighed about 5 pounds, had a talk-time of about 20 minutes or a listen time of about 40 minutes per battery charge (if they worked at all). The best part of walking a beat was not having to drive around in a car smelling like vomit and turds.

Enough reminiscing for now. Enjoy your day!

Retired holster maker.
Retired police chief.
Formerly Sergeant, US Army Airborne Infantry, Pathfinders

Posts: 1097 | Location: Colorado | Registered: March 07, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Objectively Reasonable
Picture of DennisM
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by LoboGunLeather:
The best part of walking a beat was not having to drive around in a car smelling like vomit and turds.

That brought a smile to my face.

When I started as an investigator, I graduated from cars that smelled like vomit to one that smelled like decomp whenever it heated up in the summer. Good car, near-new, but sat with a body in the back seat for a few days only to be impounded and-- when not claimed by next of kin-- converted to agency use. Good times.

Posts: 2462 | Registered: January 01, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post