SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  What's Your Deal!    UPDATE #1 in the first post - People driving without insurance
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

UPDATE #1 in the first post - People driving without insurance Login/Join 
posted Hide Post
Out of the 5+ times one of my vehicles have been hit only when my wife backed into my car was one hit by an insured person.

My wife has been rear ended by hit and run, I was a Deputy at the time and all my onshuft friends tore the county up looking for that asshole, never found him. Got good dash cam footage of the explorer though..

I was sidestepped on I75 by a lady who had a good card but when I called to start the claim they said she was no longer a client, my insurance went after her for the $200 deductible that I got back. About a year later she mailed me a letter asking if I would send in a statement saying she had 'made me whole so she could get her license back or something without paying fines over 1k, I told her to fuck off.

I hate people that don't carry insurance.

Posts: 663 | Registered: August 23, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by blueye:
Read an article in the Detroit News about 2 weeks ago that 65% of its residents do not have any form of auto insurance.

Wow.

Posts: 7010 | Registered: April 02, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
אַרְיֵה
Picture of V-Tail
posted Hide Post
Unfortunately, insurance requirements here in Florida are minimal: at least $10,000.00 PIP (Personal Injury Protection) and $10,000.00 in PDL (Property Damage Liability).

Enforcement is all but non-existent. Too many people go to a store-front "agent," get the minimum insurance, use the proof of this insurance to register the vehicle, then do not make any monthly payments and let the insurance lapse. Repeat the sequence year later, when it's time to renew the vehicle registration.

הרחפת שלי מלאה בצלופחים

Posts: 30542 | Location: Central Florida, Orlando area | Registered: January 03, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
The fine city of Detroit is often cited as the reason insurance in Michigan is so exorbitant.

End of Earth: 2 Miles
Upper Peninsula: 4 Miles

Posts: 16003 | Location: Marquette MI | Registered: July 08, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by V-Tail:
At fault accident with no insurance?

Driver license should be revoked and vehicle impounded until the injured party is made whole.

No exceptions.

I’m betting that not having a valid DL anymore isn’t going to be much of a deterrent to most of the people who drive without insurance. And they‘ll probably be able to pick up a replacement beater to drive around in pretty quickly. Jail until it gets satisfactorily resolved is better.

Posts: 3326 | Location: South FL | Registered: February 09, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
There are people driving around with no insurance , no license , etc. They don't care . Nothing to lose .

Posts: 3968 | Location: Down in Louisiana . | Registered: February 27, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Bookers Bourbon
and a good cigar
Picture of Johnny 3eagles
posted Hide Post
I have seen more cars here in Arkansas without TAGS than in any time in my driving life. Seconded by the number of EXPIRED TEMPORARY paper tags.

BIDEN SUCKS.

If you're goin' through hell, keep on going.
Don't slow down. If you're scared don't show it.
You might get out before the devil even knows you're there.

NRA ENDOWMENT LIFE MEMBER

Posts: 7120 | Location: Arkansas  | Registered: November 06, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
When I lived in Huntsville, Al (mid 90's) I had just paid a visit to a gun store and was headed home. At a stoplight I was waiting to turn right on red. Suddenly I was hit in the rear of my vehicle. I got out and found a 20 something fella looking at his car's front end. His grill and hood had struck the rear mounted spare tire of my Bronco II causing significant damage. He explained that he had just purchased the car and driven off the lot. I stated that at least he had insurance, he replied Nope.

I helped him tie down his hood and left. Neither my tire/cover were even scuffed. The concept of no insurance did not compute then nor now.

Lock N Load

Michael
USMC Ret

Posts: 1450 | Location: Texas | Registered: January 01, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I feel your pain as a person living in a border state.....this is all too common.

Posts: 3048 | Location: Houston, TX, USA | Registered: May 06, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Page late and a dollar short
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by YooperSigs:
The fine city of Detroit is often cited as the reason insurance in Michigan is so exorbitant.

Add just about all the large cities in this state to that statement like Flint, Grand Rapids, Saginaw, Pontiac, Benton Harbor…..

-------------------------------------——————
————————--Ignorance is a powerful tool if applied at the right time, even, usually, surpassing knowledge(E.J.Potter, A.K.A. The Michigan Madman)

Posts: 8066 | Location: Livingston County Michigan USA | Registered: August 11, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Don't Panic
Picture of joel9507
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by specter77:
He explained that he had just purchased the car and driven off the lot. I stated that at least he had insurance, he replied Nope.

Odd.

I'm pretty sure car coverage provides a couple of days coverage automatically for purchases of additional cars, included in the regular premium. No advance notice required.

Not sure how widespread this policy feature is, but but here's a link I found about how it works in Wisconsin.

Of course, if this was his first car, or he hadn't had the other one insured, then there'd be no previous policy to leverage.

Posts: 15001 | Location: North Carolina | Registered: October 15, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
drop and give me
20 pushups
posted Hide Post
No insurance should equate to immedate impoundment untill full restitution made whole to all parties involved. Revokeing or suspended dvrs liscense is a joke because they will continue to drive because they do not care about anyone except themselves. .......................................... drill sgt.

Posts: 1950 | Location: denham springs , la | Registered: October 19, 2019Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
This is from the Net so whether it is true I cannot confirm. However we had a production worker complaining about getting pulled over for driving without insurance so it may be true.

What I saw indicated that driving without insurance is now a Primary violation here in Michigan and that means a Statie or local can pull over any driver with a car that doesn't have insurance with Michigan tags.. Note, Michigan now requires that all insurance providers report any change in insurance status and report that status at least once per year. As a result I no longer need to carry a proof of insurance card or have one to get new licenses tabs, it's on the system.

Concerning how a patrol officer would know the insurance status of cars moving around him, the patrol cars are being equipped with automated plate readers as quickly as the agencies can afford to do it. So, the plate reader picks up a tag with no insurance and the officer gets notified of that. BTW, this is where the proof of insurance card is still useful and why it's still available for insured drivers. Because it does take a week or so for a new insurance policy to hit the state reporting system. Long term this will really motivate drivers to make sure they are insured because failing to do so would result in a ticket every time you go by a police car. It also makes life a lot more difficult for car thieves because joy riding will have a rather short life span.

Yeah, this may end up being ruled as an invasion of privacy. I sincerely hope NOT. Because an automated system like this can have every single police vehicle looking for stolen cars, missing children, and uninsured drivers 24/7.

I've stopped counting.

Posts: 5621 | Location: Michigan | Registered: November 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Corgis Rock
Picture of Icabod
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by joel9507:
[QUOTE]Originally posted by specter77:
He explained that he had just purchased the car and driven off the lot. I stated that at least he had insurance, he replied Nope.

Odd.

I'm pretty sure car coverage provides a couple of days coverage automatically for purchases of additional cars, included in the regular premium. No advance notice required.
[/url]

When I was hit, the driver had an insurance card. While I called, she drove off. After several attempts I got hold of the insurance company. Yes, they had written a policy. It was from the bank to cover damages to the car!
Police report, claim to USAA and pay deductible. I did kept contact with the police. After a runaround I wrote the Governor.( I was going to get even.) Finally the State DVM wrote back. The young lady had been in at least one other accident an “ No longer has a driver’s license for Washington.”
After that, USAA refunded my deductible.

“ The work of destruction is quick, easy and exhilarating; the work of creation is slow, laborious and dull.

Posts: 6060 | Location: Outside Seattle | Registered: November 29, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Icabod:
quote:
Originally posted by joel9507:
[QUOTE]Originally posted by specter77:

Odd.

[/url]

I was a instructor at Redstone Arsenal at the time and I brought the incident up at work the next day. A student over heard me and said that after buying the vehicle folks would use their cell and cancel the insurance to save money. Some of the young Marine students had heard of doing this. Of the four Gunnery Sergeants discussing the situation none of us had. Heck, I did not even have a cell phone back then.

Luckily I had no damage.

Lock N Load

Michael
USMC Ret

Posts: 1450 | Location: Texas | Registered: January 01, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
drop and give me
20 pushups
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by drill sgt:
No insurance should equate to immedate impoundment untill full restitution made whole to all parties involved. Revokeing or suspended dvrs liscense is a joke because they will continue to drive because they do not care about anyone except themselves. ............... drill sgt.
^^^^^ and if after further investigation if it is found out that no proper insurance was in effect then the proper impoundment of said uninsured vehicle be enforced immedately after a proper search for said vehicle and kept in the impound area till properly insured. Some states require to be notified when a insurance policy expires and are cancelled then they(the state) should go pick up the vehicle. Owning and driving a vehicle is not a right but a privilige when the owner/driver follows the rules and laws concerning insurance. I know of a ticket issued for not having the insurance card in the vehicle but did have the actual policy. The judge did enforce the ticket because the law said card and not policy in vehicle............... drill sgt.

Posts: 1950 | Location: denham springs , la | Registered: October 19, 2019Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I Deal In Lead
Picture of Flash-LB
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Icabod:
Odd.

I've purchased 7 new cars in my life and I had probably 5 different car insurance companies over the years insuring me when I bought the cars.

Every one of them gave me 30 days free coverage without notification to the Insurance company.

I always waited around 3 weeks or so to notify them and add the new car to my policy.

Posts: 10626 | Location: Gilbert Arizona | Registered: March 21, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post