SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  What's Your Deal!    The old “Bait and Switch” at work
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

The old “Bait and Switch” at work Login/Join 
Do No Harm,
Do Know Harm
posted
Fuming a bit right now.

Recently took a new position at work. Stressful gig, but great hours, quite flexible. Was a good fit based on my past experience and skills.

1:30 Friday afternoon I was notified of a new expectation, that completely changes the dynamics of the position. It removes the positive aspects above that balanced the bullshit that came with the position’s actual work. And there’s no real reason for the change beyond someone up top thinks it’s a good idea.

I’m pissed enough that I’m seriously considering requesting to go back to third shift. Anywhere in the city. Much much much less bullshit, less work, same money, more days off. My partner very well might not even think about it, as much shit as he’s been through with them, and just walk right out.

Gonna be an interesting week.

Knowing what one is talking about is widely admired but not strictly required here.

Although sometimes distracting, there is often a certain entertainment value to this easy standard.
-JALLEN

"All I need is a WAR ON DRUGS reference and I got myself a police thread BINGO." -jljones

Posts: 11448 | Location: NC | Registered: August 16, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I despise that tactic of delivering bad news on Fridays. Here's hoping you can extricate yourself from the situation without retribution from the AICs (Assholes In Charge).

Posts: 4981 | Location: Arkansas | Registered: September 04, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of 4MUL8R
posted Hide Post
Is it possible that the person up top who made such an immediate change would quickly recognize the error, and return to original plan?

Is it possible that the better shift / hours will balance, in time, the new requirements? Any chance that home life will improve regardless, by staying on the new post?

-------
Trying to simplify my life...

Posts: 5050 | Location: Commonwealth of Virginia | Registered: January 15, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Good luck! With my outfit, there was a similar situation involving tuition reimbursement. They would pay X amount of dollars toward an advance college degree in Criminal Justice or Public Administration. The catch was attending the classes and maintaining a B grade. I would enroll in the classes and either my shift would rotate, or I would have to be in court, have to work OT or be in some bullshit training.
Never once completed a single course!

End of Earth: 2 Miles
Upper Peninsula: 4 Miles

Posts: 16071 | Location: Marquette MI | Registered: July 08, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Misanthropic Philanthrope
Picture of MWC
posted Hide Post
So many time in my life the job was nothing like the job description that attracted me to apply and accept it.

Posts: 6772 | Registered: June 14, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Page late and a dollar short
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 4MUL8R:
Is it possible that the person up top who made such an immediate change would quickly recognize the error, and return to original plan?

Is it possible that the better shift / hours will balance, in time, the new requirements? Any chance that home life will improve regardless, by staying on the new post?

Unfortunately many times in both private and public sectors the person or persons that implement the unworkable changes are too arrogant to admit that they made a bad decision.

-------------------------------------——————
————————--Ignorance is a powerful tool if applied at the right time, even, usually, surpassing knowledge(E.J.Potter, A.K.A. The Michigan Madman)

Posts: 8099 | Location: Livingston County Michigan USA | Registered: August 11, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I Deal In Lead
Picture of Flash-LB
posted Hide Post
In my Engineering World, the job description was usually followed by a statement to the effect of "plus whatever else Management needs done" or something like that.

It was normal for my whole working life.

Posts: 10626 | Location: Gilbert Arizona | Registered: March 21, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I'd rather be hated for who I am than loved for who I am not
posted Hide Post
my job makes a shitty position and then when someone they like gets it. they switch it to a better job! Mad

Posts: 7796 | Location: Bismarck ND | Registered: February 19, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I think many people have woken up to the fact that many workplaces are toxic. Rather live with less than put up with it. Management's response is just to import foreign workers who will put up with it - for a while

Posts: 1402 | Registered: November 07, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fighting the good fight
Picture of RogueJSK
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Flash-LB:
In my Engineering World, the job description was usually followed by a statement to the effect of "plus whatever else Management needs done" or something like that.

It was normal for my whole working life.

Yeah, even in the LE world, all my agency's job descriptions end with "And other duties as assigned".

Doesn't mean it sucks any less when the rug gets unexpectedly pulled out from under you by the brass.

Posts: 32495 | Location: Northwest Arkansas | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by RogueJSK:

Yeah, even in the LE world, all my agency's job descriptions end with "And other duties as assigned." [/QUOTE]

You want to have a good time? At your next mandatory HR training session, have someone bring that up. HR will go on and on justifying it. That's when you say "They should add that to wedding vows." Then stand back as they lose their mind!

Tony

Posts: 312 | Registered: December 18, 2016Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
B.t.d.t.
Got hired to drive truck for four times the usual rate.
Excellent Ins. Benefits great vaca.

They switched me too whse. I walked

Safety, Situational Awareness and proficiency.

Neck Ties, Hats and ammo brass, Never ,ever touch'em w/o asking first

Posts: 54608 | Location: Henry County , Il | Registered: February 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
chickenshit
Picture of rsbolo
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by bendable:
B.t.d.t.
Got hired to drive truck for four times the usual rate.
Excellent Ins. Benefits great vaca.

They switched me too whse. I walked

Help me out, what is "whse"?

Posts: 8000 | Location: East Central FL | Registered: January 05, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Guessing warehouse?

Posts: 1178 | Location: NE Indiana  | Registered: January 20, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Warehouse. If you're the type of person that enjoys driving a truck the last place you want to be is working in a warehouse.(or cubicle)

Posts: 4979 | Registered: April 20, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I Deal In Lead
Picture of Flash-LB
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by RogueJSK:
Yeah, even in the LE world, all my agency's job descriptions end with "And other duties as assigned".

Doesn't mean it sucks any less when the rug gets unexpectedly pulled out from under you by the brass.

That happened to me a couple of times and my answer was to resign and take employment elsewhere. My record was resigning one day after they pulled the rug out from under me.

Posts: 10626 | Location: Gilbert Arizona | Registered: March 21, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Pure speculation here, but I have seen management utilize assignments as a means for achieving specific results.

Changes of shift, duty assignments, work locations, other factors can be used to "cull the herd", encourage particular employees to resign (or act out in ways that could justify disciplinary action). In some cases even an unwanted promotion might cause an employee to walk or rebel.

Generally speaking, unless the changes amount to a demotion (reduced hourly rate or salary, etc) the employee has little or no recourse. In a unionized company there might be avenues for appeal or remediation, but those working without a contract seldom have such recourse.

We never know for sure what cards the other players are holding unless we call or raise. A poker metaphor, but in addition to playing a little poker I was also in management for about 30 years.

Retired holster maker.
Retired police chief.
Formerly Sergeant, US Army Airborne Infantry, Pathfinders

Posts: 1097 | Location: Colorado | Registered: March 07, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Similar things drove me to retirement. I was being pulled in so many different directions that I couldn't accomplish anything to my standards. I was lucky that I had my time in, otherwise it was going to be a really unpleasant meeting. There is a benefit to documenting EVERYTHING.

Posts: 632 | Registered: June 11, 2018Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Do No Harm,
Do Know Harm
posted Hide Post
Well I stood my ground as did my partner, and I think the sense of the matter was realized.

It was effectively turning a 50 hour week into a 60 hour week, for no reason other than “it makes sense (it didn’t). Plus we are already each on call 24/7, 25% of the year. We are hourly and supervise a high liability, stupid busy, pair of units.

We are all replaceable, but he and I have very rare (maybe even unique) combinations of certifications that are time consuming (and you’re not guaranteed to pass) to replicate. It’s nice sometimes lol

Knowing what one is talking about is widely admired but not strictly required here.

Although sometimes distracting, there is often a certain entertainment value to this easy standard.
-JALLEN

"All I need is a WAR ON DRUGS reference and I got myself a police thread BINGO." -jljones

Posts: 11448 | Location: NC | Registered: August 16, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Thank you
Very little
Picture of HRK
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by rsbolo:

Help me out, what is "whse"?

Been concerned if he'd walked out of the whorehouse because of a shift change.. Razz

Posts: 23403 | Location: Florida | Registered: November 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post