SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  What's Your Deal!    Sinus infections suck! Update. Surgery yesterday.
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Sinus infections suck! Update. Surgery yesterday. Login/Join 
W07VH5
Picture of mark123
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Mboroman:
... Also, another alternative for folks with an infection (or feel one is about to happen) is adding Betadine (povodone iodine) to the saline rinse...
How much do you put in the water?

Posts: 45331 | Location: Pennsyltucky | Registered: December 05, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Diversified Hobbyist
Picture of Steve 22X
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Eponym:
I use a NeilMed Sinus Rinse Kit. It clears/cleans my sinuses well but sometimes makes them dry.

I will try adding some Alkalol, for the menthol and other essential oils. (That's a past thread. Smile )

NeilMed kit is exactly what I use.
Amazing what can be flushed out of ones sinuses.
The wife has an actual Neti Pot but it is awkward to use and does not work as well as the NeilMed IMO.

-----------------------------------
Regards, Steve
The anticipation is often greater than the actual reward

Posts: 2463 | Location: Wylie, Texas | Registered: November 12, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Jodel-Time
Picture of Mboroman
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by mark123:
quote:
... Also, another alternative for folks with an infection (or feel one is about to happen) is adding Betadine (povodone iodine) to the saline rinse...

There isn't any set amount. I always make up a half cup of saline for my daily rinse. If I want to hit a cold or infection fairly hard, I add about 15-16 drops of iodine to the mix. More than that and it gets a pretty strong taste/smell to it. As things get better, I will taper it down to 8-10 drops. Using the iodine was something I found on the internet. You just have to use your own judgement on it. Also, try not to swallow it. Iodine is not to be taken internally.

Posts: 559 | Location: Middle Tennessee | Registered: May 16, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Per my ENT, here's what I use.

For normal sinus rinse to prevent infections, 1/2 tsp xylitol and 1/2 tsp salt in two cups water. The water should be as hot as you can tolerate.

If I'm fairly sure I've got an infection, use 1 tsp Johnson and Johnson baby shampoo in two cups hot water. The ENT gave me a Mayo clinic showing this to work well to break down and kill sinus infections. It does need to be that specific shampoo. If the infection is bad, I'll use alkalol and the shampoo mix several times a day until the infection is gone.

Posts: 2358 | Registered: October 24, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
W07VH5
Picture of mark123
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
Originally posted by mark123:
quote:

There isn't any set amount. I always make up a half cup of saline for my daily rinse. If I want to hit a cold or infection fairly hard, I add about 15-16 drops of iodine to the mix. More than that and it gets a pretty strong taste/smell to it. As things get better, I will taper it down to 8-10 drops. Using the iodine was something I found on the internet. You just have to use your own judgement on it. Also, try not to swallow it. Iodine is not to be taken internally.
Thanks! Smile

Posts: 45331 | Location: Pennsyltucky | Registered: December 05, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
W07VH5
Picture of mark123
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by bryan11:
Per my ENT, here's what I use.

For normal sinus rinse to prevent infections, 1/2 tsp xylitol and 1/2 tsp salt in two cups water. The water should be as hot as you can tolerate.

If I'm fairly sure I've got an infection, use 1 tsp Johnson and Johnson baby shampoo in two cups hot water. The ENT gave me a Mayo clinic showing this to work well to break down and kill sinus infections. It does need to be that specific shampoo. If the infection is bad, I'll use alkalol and the shampoo mix several times a day until the infection is gone.
I've been using a drop of J&J baby shampoo as often as I rinse my sinuses during the mowing season. That what gets all the particles of dirt and grass out. I try to do it daily but I forget when I'm beat.

W07VH5
Picture of mark123
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by wcb6092:
This with a netti pot works for me.

Whoa! That's a weird smell/taste/sensation. Eek

posted Hide Post
Before I retired this year, I flew over 100k+ miles per year, and would regularly get two sinus infections each year, despite best efforts to protect myself. Most current antibiotics are now ineffective for me, and I would generally suffer 3-4 weeks each episode.

Regarding Levaquin, please do some research and weigh potential side effects. It has been cited for many cases of tendonitis and Achilles’ tendon rupture (including my ruptured Achilles), and that shit hurts!

Stay safe, Steve

I Drink & I Know Things

Posts: 352 | Location: Fort Worth, Texas | Registered: February 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Drill Here, Drill Now
Picture of tatortodd
posted Hide Post
quote:
Of course, this can also leave some fluid in your nasal cavity that can come out later when you bend over.
After I'm done with my netipot, I bend over and blow my nose into a kleenex. 9/10 times it gets all of the water out.

Ego is the anesthesia that deadens the pain of stupidity

DISCLAIMER: These are the author's own personal views and do not represent the views of the author's employer.

Posts: 23099 | Location: Northern Suburbs of Houston | Registered: November 14, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Waiting for Hachiko
Picture of Sunset_Va
posted Hide Post
I get sinus infections a lot. Painful pressure, antibiotics are the only thing that clears it up for me, however side effects of antibiotics are a pain in the butt also.

I find I get sinus infections more in the winters than summers, some times I think I pick mine up from taking hot showers.

美しい犬

Posts: 6673 | Location: Near the Metropolis of Tightsqueeze, Va | Registered: February 18, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by KMitch200:
Amoxicillin just doesn't work on me at all.
Z-packs on the other hand kicks my sinus infections ass right out the door in no time.

What are Z Packs and are they available over the counter or prescription only.

Posts: 1618 | Location: USA | Registered: December 11, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
God will always provide
Picture of Fla. Jim
posted Hide Post
Squeeze bottle works best for me. I use regularly whenever I start to have breathing difficulties or colored mucus. As far as meds, Bactrim DS for me has always worked. I also double up on the solution mix for a good flush as recommended by a Nurse PA. Been doing this for the last few years and have yet to have the severe previous reaction when the different Oaks bloom and spread their noxious pollen. Previous to use, I would be in for infections each and every bloom.

Posts: 4403 | Location: White City, Florida | Registered: January 11, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
W07VH5
Picture of mark123
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by calugo:
What are Z Packs and are they available over the counter or prescription only.
Azithromycin. Rx.

posted Hide Post
I picked up a sinus infection in Africa a few years ago that hung on for 10 months. Every time I bent down to tie a shoe, my head felt like it would explode. It weathered several treatments with antibiotics. I didn't feel congested. There was no nasal discharge. It was infected, and wouldn't quit. Really bad.

I've had sinus congestion that I didn't know was there before and it's blown out sinuses on flights, on the descent. The first time it happened, I'd been in a swamp for several days, hiding with an emergency locator beacon as part of a search exercise. I rode home in an unpressurized aircraft and on the descent, it felt like someone hit me with a baseball bat in the face. A big bang, unbelievable pain, and next thing I'm in the emergency room. Twice.

I don't think I could ever use one of those pots, pumping fluid through the nose (those don't actually go to the sinus, which is above the eyes, or inside the face in the maxillary region, however, and while they might fix a stuffed nose for a time, won't touch a true sinus infection.

Posts: 6650 | Registered: September 13, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post